applestar
Mod

DigitS posted a great link for seed germinating temp/time

DigitS alerted me that the link he posted in the following post appears to have been discontinued. He has kindly searched and found the same chart here:

https://extension.oregonstate.edu/desch ... ltemps.pdf

----

Subject: Only the lettuce is growing?
digitS' wrote:Megan, if you look at this chart from the University of Minnesota you will see that lettuce is absolutely the earliest in a cool, 41°F soil. Lettuce will sprout in 15 days but even spinach takes a week longer.

It seems to me that there is this common misconception that peas, peas, peas -- should be planted in cold soil. But notice, peas take 36 days at 41°F! And realize that peas are planted deeper than lettuce or spinach where the soil takes more days to warm in the early spring. When I see how early some folks sow pea seed I often ask myself why they don't plant later when something like a month wait won't be required.

The link you post has the guy saying that sowing without pre-sprouting pea seed results in 15% germination with the remainder rotting. That must be an entirely different gardening environment to what I am used to :roll:.

Steve
Last edited by applestar on Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

WOW, that is a great link! Thanks for making it a sticky, Apps.

Look at the peppers! That gives me a good idea why my germination is so spotty, I don't keep my soil nearly hot enough. I really have to get a heating mat next year.

jnunez918

garden5 wrote:WOW, that is a great link! Thanks for making it a sticky, Apps.

Look at the peppers! That gives me a good idea why my germination is so spotty, I don't keep my soil nearly hot enough. I really have to get a heating mat next year.
I have mine with a desk lamp pointed right at them. They are germinating great!

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

I just do 75 for all my seeds well warm crops and there doing good....alittle to good.

applestar
Mod

There was a chart in Johnny's Selected Seeds catalog detailing how long seedlings take to grow to transplant size and when to plant them outside. So I went looking or it on their website, and the had this interactive calculator:
https://www.johnnyseeds.com/e-PDGSeedStart.aspx

applestar
Mod

Subject: Temperature & the time it takes different seeds to sprout!
rainbowgardener wrote:I posted this once before, but here it is again:

https://tomclothier.hort.net/page11.html

scroll down a bit to the chart:

Percentage of Normal Vegetable Seedlings
Produced at Different Temperatures

so reading across the tomato row: (degrees F)

Soil Temp 32...41....50..........59.......68........77.......86......95....104
Tomatoes 0.....0....82(43)..98(14)...98(8)...97(6)...83(6)..46(9)...0

so at 32 and 41 deg, none of the seeds sprouted. At 50 degrees 82% sprouted, but it took them 43 days to do so (!). At 59 deg, there was almost complete germination by 14 days, at 68 it took 8 days and at 77 only 6. At 86 deg, it still took 6 days, but germination percent is beginning to decline again.

Of course YRMV, but this gives an idea of the effect of temperature on germination rate and percent.

applestar
Mod

Updated the OP with working link. Thanks, digitS. :D

TareqPhoto

Thanks for that table, I need time to convert them all or some to degree, I don't use F and I really don't like it in temp measuring, but I know it is your standard, but this table giving me the idea about the temp for different plant, hope this will help me later on.

applestar
Mod

Received this link from West Coast seeds

Regional Planting Charts – West Coast Seeds
https://www.westcoastseeds.com/pages/re ... ing-charts

They don’t have my exact region, and interestingly, looking at the referenced average last and first frost dates, I see better matches for my garden in the Southern Ontario and New England charts… but useful, nonetheless :D

Best way to adapt these charts is to look at the transplanting timing and harvesting timing and adjust for your own frost dates.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

This was kind of serendipitous, AppleStar.

I was just this morning looking at West Coast Seeds website. Thinking that their planting advice was helpful, altho I hadn't seen their pdf charts.

No. I can't go with Washington State because it's quite obviously western WA. The one for New England looks closer to my schedule :D.

Steve

imafan26
Mod

Great Chart. I have seen similar ones. It is very useful information no matter where you live.

I don't have to deal with super cold temperatures, but I have always known that some things needed a minimum temperature to grow. As far as maximums go. The ones that say they will germinate at 90 degrees, don't always live long at higher temperatures. It also helps to make sure the seeds are stored properly, if not germination will be affected by temperature and moisture.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”