Dixana
Greener Thumb

Melons....

Due to our short season staring melons in the house is a must. But I have a few questions.
I started them in larger containers to begin with, so will they still need up-potting?
I know their roots don't like to be disturbed, but is it possible, if all 3 seedlings come up, to separate them out so I have 3 of each plant?
I really, I mean REALLY don't have room to start any more individual plants. I can make room once their up potted on the shelves but I'm already breaking down and buying my peppers because I have too many flowers and tomatoes, now the melons, plus some onions. We're talking 4 trays of plants....as seeds. I have a 3 yr old and a cat to keep out of them too!
And as it is I'll need another grow light >.<

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Dixana,

I would not advise growing melons or water melons in containers for too long. I believe that all cucurbit benefit the most if transplanted into the ground as quickly as possible.

I normally start the seeds indoors, as soon as they sprout, I transplant them into 4" pots, and under the grow light they go until 1-2 sets of true leafs are out. Hardening them off for 3-4 days and off to the garden. Soil must be warm, and no chances of frost, I don't believe melons or their family tolerate any amounts of frost at all and don't like cold by any means.

I think in your scenario, your best bet is to get "early" varieties, these will be smaller melons for the most part, but something in the range of 60-70 days...

Even if it is a hybrid, at least you will have fruits in the short season...

Territorial Seeds carry few earlies:

Fastbreak 69 days
Lil' Loupe 70 days
Tasty Bites 70 days (65 for me last year)

I'm also trying Minnesota Midget this year, said to be 63-65 days, will see...

As for separating the seedlings, honestly, I wouldn't... I usually plant 2 seeds per 4" pot, and never separate them, same with cukes...

Regards,
D

Dixana
Greener Thumb

I have Emerald Gem melon and Blacktail Mtn and White Sugar Lump watermelons. All 3 are less than 80 days.
They're already planted in 4" containers, as that's what I started them in, and I can't put them outside until probably Memorial Day.... unless I maybe build some kind of cold frame for them. I'm also planning on putting black plastic around them as I've heard it helps draw and retain heat needed for them to grow.

Will I be able to separate out the seedlings like I would tomatoes? Or should I kill off all but one or just leave them together???

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”