Chaesman

Just an update for all those who helped us with seeds n info

Today was very productive had a lovley morning my wife transplanted about 20 cabbage and 20 brocolli and a dozen tomatoes and a dozen peppers that we have been nursing since january so the garden offically has green plants in it now. we also put out about 100 candy apple onions (Purple ones) and about 20 potatoe eyes.

got our portable green house up again after a disaterous storm.

Started a bunch of tomatoes and peppers ( I know a little late) hope to have seedlings shortly. and started five Herbs in a window planter to add to the indoor herbs we are all ready growing.

I will try to post a couple pics in a few days once I locate my camera my little helper hid it. (LOL)

Well that is about all for the moment

and a great big thank you to all who have and I am sure will continue to help me it is truely appreciated.

Have a bountifull 2011 garden season!!

Jon

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Jon,

Very nice. You are ahead of me in the outside world. I only have a bed of garlic and a row of peas. I will be planting potatoes tomorrow and maybe lettuce, kale, Joi choi, Tah Tsai and swiss chard, weather permitting. :)

Good to hear you are doing better. :D

Eric

Chaesman

Thanks Eric just a fast question I have some hard neck garlic and some swiss chard do they get direct sowed or do I need to start them indoors or in the greenhouse

and yes I am almost feeling 100% again

Thanks for your input

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Jon,

Sorry to say, but you are late on the garlic. To get a nice big bulb they should have been planted last Oct-Nov. I would plant them in 4" pots in the greenhouse and get a jump start. You may get a bigger bulb this way. :?:

I also start swiss chard in the greenhouse. Bright Lights is my choice. Most people direct seed.

Eric

Chaesman

next update today was another productive day my better half worked out in the garden today and direct sowed about 700 seeds and I finished straightening up the green house and started about 450 plants in it I will post a few pics once I have some decsent germination and growth.

I know most who helped with seeds asked for pics and updates and I promised I would do that. so here is the first pic of the garden just a small section of it and as I get new growth from the direct sowed areas and larger plants I will certainly add more pics to this thread.

[img]https://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n630/Chaesman/GreenHouse%20Project%201/SDC10009.jpg[/img]

As I said not much to look at yet but it is a start..

Thanks for all your help and advice

Jon

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Looking good! I direct sow my swiss chard in the ground. It has just barely sprouted now.

Chaesman

Thank you rainbow I choose to start the swiss chard in our portable green house Have no Idea how long it takes to see them sprout. may direct sow some to if the weather keeps being nice during the day

it is so refressing to get out of the house for hours even if it is only to the yard. Four wall tend to close in on you after awhile

Jon

wordwiz
Green Thumb

You all are way ahead of me. Nothing outside and probably won't be for another couple of weeks. My new garden is too hard to till, I've got to find someone to disc it for me. A guy is suppose to take a look at it Tuesday.

On the plus side, I do have 1500 Sugar Snap Peas, 200 Early Wonder tomato plants, 500 Swiss Chard and 158 Parris Island Lettuce seedlings/sprouts that should be ready to plant in three weeks or less. I think I will buy another packet of lettuce seeds - I can interplant it among the maters. That stuff is selling for $3/head now. A package of seeds is 99¢, the potting mix $5. Good return on investment!

Mike

Chaesman

Just another update Trying to catch up on messages due to weather halting gardening at the moment.

As I mentioned we started a bunch in the garden last month and well I jumped the gun a little to nights in a row right at 34 to 35 did in my peppers and tomatoes except for about 3 tomatoes and 1 pepper. Well that is the bad news

The Good news I have about 150 more starts of tomatoes and peppers just about ready to leave the green house for the garden.

Our potatoes (Russett and one I don't know the name of but its Purple) are all doing great getting nice greens up top. Got radishes and beens coming up. Corn is about 3 inches high now. Onions well Can you kill them? they look fine. Also have about 600 other starts of assorted veggies to move to the garden in a week or two.

Thats about all for now I will try to get some pics up if we get a break in weather this week end.

Thanks again for your help and guidance.

Jon and Carolyn

Chaesman

Just the latest update.

We just planted about 40 to fifty tomatoe and pepper plants to replace those that got destroyed by a frost and to replace those that got pounded into the ground By the storms we had for about 10 days in a row laying 14 inches of rain.

Corn is coming up pretty good around 4 inches. Potatoes are doing awsome about 24 plants. Radishes are doing great and beats are starting to come in. 2 days ago it was absolutly gorgous out so I weeded a 20 x 20 area (Lots of weeds since rain) and planted 4 vareties of mellons and had test germinated a couple Pumpkin seeds I saved last october. well I know at least one pumpkin made it into my mellon area so I am gonna toy with it even though it is a bit early for pumpkins. Have a few other seedlings still waiting to get into the garden probably next week some time and have to replant my beans and Cuccumbers (They never came up).

Like I said I am absolutly loving this new hobby and trying my best not to get frustrated over the elemental problems (Torenchal rains, A hail Storm, high winds, And a couple nights just above freezing that killed most of my tomatoes and peppers) I can't control these things so I just am going with the flow and replanting as needed.

I will try and get a few pictures next week also and post them here as well so you can see some of the progress I am making

Thanks for all of your help

Jon

Chaesman

Just another update This morning was very over cast so we took advantage and my wife transplanted a bunch of broccli and cabbage. I weeded a couple of rows today and we have several more tomato plants about to be hardened off for the garden. Didn't get the pictures taken yet got busy fixing the throttle body on my truck. One of my potatoe plants started to flower. and I accually saw some bumble bees for the first time in years at my house. We will also be starting our pumpkins this weekend.

Thanks you for all your help generosity and information. I am hoping to get some good growth this month now that it is finally warming up.

Well thats all for now thunderstorms today and tommorow so maybe pics on monday.

Jon and Carolyn

Chaesman

Well today we got our first taste from the garden we had 2 strawberries become ripe and I ate one and my wife ate the other and I don't know if it is due to no checmicals or soil ideal for strawberries maybe just the Fruit of our labors or dumb luck but these where the sweetest strawberries We have ever tasted.

all but 2 of our strawberry plants did not make it so I planted 14 more today unfortinatly I was told they won't fruit this year again but next year should be bountiful

I can not wait for other veggies and fruits to come I am excited to taste them.

Pumpkin seedlins are starting to sprout as of today. time to fire up the tiller and create a pumpkin patch

Jon

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”