Desirai
Cool Member

Question about mango and avocado seeds

Hi. I live somewhere between zone 7 and zone 8, depending who you ask.

My first question is about a mango seed.
I've tried to germinate mango seeds several times in the past year and have yet to get one to sprout roots or anything.
So anyway, I'm trying again. I accidentally cut the top of the seed with the knife when I was prying off the hull. Do you think the seed would still germinate even if it were damaged (assuming all other conditions are right to make the seed sprout)

Secondly about avocados

I got 3 avocado seeds from a grocery store and put them in a cup with toothpicks suspending them above water. 1 of them has cracked open and sprouted a root. The root is 4 inches long.

When do I put it in dirt and how deep do I plant it?

also yes I'm aware they probably won't grow fruit but I'm growing it to just to grow it .. :)

I live in Alabama, USA so I'm keeping all my plants indoors

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Avocado trees are pretty tough and will survive brief visits down into the upper 20's outside. I toss our avocado seeds in the compost bin, and every year several sprout. I usually plant them in containers about level with the top of the seed or slightly higher. I've grown the plants as large as 10 feet tall in large nursery containers. Mine have to go inside during the winter as our temperatures often drop below the mid twenties.

applestar
Mod

I can't do it for you right now, but do a Forum Search (top right link bar) for avocado under author applestar and you'll see a whole bunch of posts including detailed description of how I've grown avocado seeds.

Not so experienced with Mangos as I only have one growing. I think Mangoes need a lot of heat. I was successful with this one when I grew it in the summer, in a black plastic pot with a clear plastic cover.

lorax
Greener Thumb

For the Mango, a slightly damaged seed will grow just fine so long as you observe a few things: sterile potting medium, high humidity, and plenty of heat. I'd reccomend a heating mat if you've got one, the sunniest windowsill in your house if you don't, and a planting container with a lid to trap the humidity. Plant the seed laying flat on the soil, and just push it down gently - don't cover it. You should see the roots go down and the cotleydons come up.

Once the sprout is up, gently and very shallowly bury the seed and watch it carefully - young mangoes are prone to fungal problems. Dust the soil surface with powdered cinnamon to prevent damping off (weak chamomile tea in the water also works well at this point). Once you've got true leaves, you're golden.

Other than this, Mango are fairly easy to grow once they're started - even here at very high altitudes, where it gets into the high 40's at night, they do just fine. It's all about properly hardening off your seedling once it's got true leaves. (Do this by very gradually stepping it into cooler locations.)

applestar
Mod

I have two more mango seedlings! Probably a third one soon as well since I see the soil pushing up, :()

They came from overripe smallish fruits (from Mexico). Seeds were potted whole, uncleaned -- except light scraping to rub off excess flesh -- and unhusked, with a nip in the upper corner cut off with a sharp chef's knife, placed on their sides with about 1/2 inch of soil covering them.

I had them on the heating mat inside an indoor vinyl covered shelving "greenhouse" -- always hot inside ... At least 80°F, probably more when the setting sun came in the window.. Each pot was also individually covered with vented clear cover.

They are still in there but growing fast. I'll have to move them out soon as they will be too tall for the lights.

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

I've always started my mango seeds off by husking them and then toothpicking them in a jar of water, mostly submerged, hump side up. They almost always germinate.

And then I fail to put them in soil and they die. Then I do it again with the next seed :)

To husk them without damaging them, run your fingernail around the edge until you find the seam. It'll be pretty obvious. Then put the long edge of a large spoon into the seam and twist. The husk will separate enough for your fingers to get in, and then you can just pull it apart.

johnny123

I also do the toothpick method {Avocado} and I put them in soil when the stem is about 6 inches tall.
They will grow fine in water for along time.
They do need plant food while they are in the water.
I start mine with water and seaweed extarct and then put in a piece of a plant food spike.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”