Dr.greenthumb
Newly Registered

Starting seeds in MG?

Hey gardeners, I recently planted a variety of different seeds (honeydew, cantaloupe, basil, cilantro) into some Miracle grow and also in Foxfarm soil. they are in pots and I have placed them on a heating pad to germinate quicker. I am only concerend about the Miracle Grow soil because it seems a little dryer and drains a bit slow. Is there a problem with this soil or will it be ok?

Thanks for the replies!

bg
Cool Member

I personally haven't had too much trouble starting seeds using the stuff. Right now, it's easier for me to get and use since I'm fairly new to gardening.

I've used the miracle grow in those little peat pots. [url=https://www.zooomr.com/photos/kouetsuji/sets/47883/]My garden[/url] that I had during the summer in 2009, were started that way except for the big tomato, basil, jalapeno, giant marconi pepper plants and cacti. You can see the seedlings in the gallery, I just kept the soil moist (and it was already hot outside), and they grew.

My biggest problems at the time were the ants/aphids, caterpillars and squirrels eating my plants... that and the texas heat lol.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I use it for starting all my seeds, just because it is easy to find in huge bags and relatively cheap that way. Works fine, though personally I would avoid the peat pots.

But I have everything in trays and water from the bottom only. Be sure you start with the soil well moistened though. I fill the pots or cells with potting soil then pour water into them and stir it around well, so all the soil is well moistened. Then I plant seeds and after that bottom water only. If you don't start with it well moistened sometimes it gets too dry and won't soak in the water (like pouring water on a very dry sponge, it just rolls off until the sponge is moistened).

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

oh, I was also wondering the same thing. I never used it before. I try to be organic. but the price was too good to pass up at sam's club. big bag for 5.47. so I was hoping it wouldn't be too harsh. I'll just do organic from here on out :)

csvd87

I was using the seed starting MG for a while before I found the Premier Pro-Mix for Seeding and Potting, big bag for 5.99 instead of a small bag for 5 or 6 bucks. The Pro-Mix seems to work nice, it drains nice and is light and fluffy, which seems to be good for the seeds. The MG was heavier and slower draining, but I had no issues germinating.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Where do you get the best prices on the a cubic foot of MG? How big is the bag you get for $5?

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

my neigbor recommends the promix,but I didn't know where to get it...

Father's Daughter
Cool Member

The Miracle Grow was all I could find at the time, so that's what I've been using and so far, no problems. Like Rainbowgardener, I've been wetting it before starting the seeds by pouring it into an old plastic mixing bowl and "kneading" in water until it's thoroughly moistened, then filling my pots.

ThePepperSeed
Cool Member

I use MG potting soil to sprout [url=https://thepepperseed.com/growing-peppers/2011-pepper-grow-begins/]my pepper seeds[/url] too and don't normally have any issues.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”