alaskagold

Does anyone else freeze their seeds?

Being in Alaska, I have been known to put seeds in a container, double wrapped in glad bags to keep moisture out, and leave them out in a shed or cold garage. I usually only grow vegetables.

I have never had my seeds go bad and in some cases I have used some seeds for 3-6 yrs after they have been frozen.

I would like to know if anyone else freezes them?

Also, I have noticed if I have done my freezing/forgetting method, the seeds germinate 3-7 days quickers (depending on type of veggie seed) and usually are a better producing plant overall.

Anyone else?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Sometimes freeze them, sometimes just store them in vegetable crisper in frig. Haven't really noticed much difference... I keep them in paper bags, because I think plastic can collect moisture.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I store my seeds in my freezer, when it is the off season, and during summer heat.

Germination rates are fine!

A lady gave me some lima bean seeds, frozen for 20 years, they grew a bumper crop!

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Same here, store mine in the freezer except leave them out for a month or two during planting season. Most all seeds continue to perform well 4, 5, even 6 years after purchase.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

I freeze mine as well. a local farm told me to do so :)

garden5
Super Green Thumb

You know, I've never frozen mine. I always mean to but have not gotten around to it. My seeds sprout just fine. Although, to be fair, they are not that old. Maybe a year or two. Now, if you were going to be storing yours for a long time I would say that you should freeze them.

alaskagold

garden5, I have been freezing my seeds (mainly by accident) for years and have never had any issues and always have had them come back.

Seeds up here are very expensive, so when I have extras I always put my extras away... until I realize that I have them in a yub in a area that is usually super cold. All my seeds have sprouted that have been in -40 degrees,

I was just curious as to others who may have done it.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

My mom always keeps her extra seed in the outside refrigeration, so that is what I have done for years. Germination has always been great. So, the answer to your question is "No, I do not freeze my seed" but I do keep it in the frig.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”