AbbyW26
Newly Registered

Irreversible container gardening damage? Help!

I live in an apartment and want to grow my own vegetables and flowers in containers. I have a huge south facing balcony and big windows all over, so I figured this type of atmosphere would be perfect. I think I made a terrible mistake though, in that I started my seeds too early. I wasn't exactly sure what I was doing, so I started A LOT of seeds, and they ALL germinated, which I wasn't expecting. I guess I have a few questions about what to do.

The good news is, I have enough room in my apartment to keep pots until I can move them outside, so I guess I'm going to try and do that for awhile. I also have grow lights to provide the plants with enough sunlight on a rainy day, or when the light coming in through the window isn't adequate. Will this work for now? if so, what kinds of problems can this cause?

I made the mistake of starting all the seeds at the same time. For instance, I did start some vegetables which do okay when sown in early spring, yet I also started cucumbers, tomatoes, and peppers. They all have their true leaves and are thriving right now, (especially the cucumbers) but should I put them in their pots and let them live inside? Or is it a lost cause? I just don't want to have wasted all this time and all these seeds.

I live in south west Missouri where the weather is scarily unpredictable. In the past few weeks it's gotten up to the mid 70's (In February), yet there's a good chance it could get pretty cold again. I think I got overly excited about my newly found gardening hobby during those warm days, and dove in to something I hardly knew much about. Is there any way to fix this? Any sort of comment on this would be helpful. Thanks :/

applestar
Mod

Do check out the Seed Starting Forum https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=48
where many of us have been talking about starting seeds indoors. You'll see various setups and recommendations there. :wink:

IMHO, Cucumbers are very iffy to have started already, but you're well within the timeframe for starting tomatoes and peppers. :D

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”