sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

ok, question again... :) do different types of lavender have different hardiness? the ones I picked up said zones 6-9... is there one more appropriate for my zone? or do they all behave the same and you just need to mulch it well for the winter?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You are at the extreme edge of where lavender might survive the winter. Some varieties are rated hardy to zone 5 (Lavender Munstead, French Lavender-lavender dentata). But being at the very north edge of zone 5, makes even them a bit problematic. Might survive until you got an extra cold winter, if you mulch really well.

Otherwise grow it in a pot and bring it in for the winter, as I do with rosemary, which is less hardy.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

maybe that is just what I"ll do. bring it in for the winter and do it in a pot. I like that idea. ok then, I will go ahead and start it!

it is lavender lady lavendula angustifolia.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

That is the one I'm growing this year, too! :) It's already sprouted in my basement under lights. It is hardy for me here in zone 6, but not for you. But should do fine in a pot, brought in for the winter.

applestar
Mod

Grew English lavender angustifolia 'Munstead' from seeds for the first time this year :()
image.jpg
:arrow: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 65#p325765

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”