GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Starting lavender from seeds

I was told some members may have questions about these and how I got them to start from seed? Nothing special but ask away. Maybe I can extend a little help.

Here they are about 2 weeks after sprouting and about 4 days after transplanting.

[img]https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v687/grnpez/Photo02231143.jpg[/img]

By the way, the tag on the pot says african violet because I got the pots from the recycle bin at the nursery.

Imperialboy

What soil would you recommend?
I was told that Potting Mix + Sand + Perlite + Gravel works well?

What size container would you use for the last final adult plant container?

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

I (by chance) was using a mixture of half jiffy seed starter (peat) and half garden soil. I started 4 seeds in a 5 inch pot and two sprouted. I will say though, I don't know if it's by coincidence, but the seeds sat for like 3 weeks and did nothing. So I planted some calendula in the pot. When the calendula sprouted, so did the lavender. They were just one day behind the calendula.

As for the final adult plant..I don't know what container size to recommend. I was going to put it outside in the ground and then just root cuttings to get me through the winter. The only reason I started growing it was for the smell so I could take cuttings and bring them in the house. I also read that it was a repellent for certain pest insects.

Imperialboy

Alrighty.
Thanks for the info

soil
Greener Thumb

my lavenders germinate well in a mix of compost and sand. more on the sand side. they also clone well in that mix too.

applestar
Mod

I haven't tried growing them from seed. I guess my concern would be keeping the seedlings alive until time to planting out.

I've successfully propagated lavender from cuttings taken in the early summer, but my problem has been keeping the young plants alive over the winter. When I left them outside, they bit the dust. So this year, tried keeping some potted and bringing inside, but they seem to have died. :roll:

This summer, I'll take and root cuttings in as protected area as I can, then mulch them well, etc. in the fall and see how they manage. I think once I can get them over the winter, I can transplant them to where they are to grow and the 2nd season root system growth will be sufficient for them to survive the winter.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

ok, so you all caused me to pick up a packet of lavender seeds today for 33c LOL! but I know nothing about lavender other than it is soothing and relaxing.

it is sounding like it is hard to grow.... is that right?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Not hard, just a little slow. I have little lavender seedlings in my basement under the lights right now. They only took about a week to sprout on the heat mat (in regular potting soil, bottom watered only). But from here on they grow a lot slower than the annuals. By the end of the season, I will just have a little 6" plant and then in my climate it is dormant all winter (I leave it in the ground, just mulched well). But the second season it will grow into a nice bushy foot high plant and then it really takes off after that. But with the winter dormancy, it never gets huge like the wonderful lavender shrubs I see in California.

SarahSarah
Cool Member

My lavendar plant grows in a half wine barrel. It kind of shares with a rosemary, but the lavendar definitely dominates. It is a HUGE bush.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

oh very cool! doesn't sound too bad then. I want to start it soon then! I am curious as to the size it will end up the second year.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

SarahSarah wrote:My lavendar plant grows in a half wine barrel. It kind of shares with a rosemary, but the lavendar definitely dominates. It is a HUGE bush.
Yes, I mentioned the huge lavender shrubs I've seen in the Bay Area. It doesn't work like that for those of us in cold winter country though. Dying back every winter prevents it from ever getting that big.

I notice sheshee is in Maine. Depending on where in Maine, that could be anywhere from zone 3a to 6a. Most lavender is only hardy down to zone 5. If you are any less than that you will need to bring the lavender in for the winter. I leave mine out, but I'm in zone 6 b.

I also grow rosemary, which is less hardy than lavender and I do bring mine in for the winter, so I know it is workable.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

I'm in zone 4a/5b. like right on the line. (I think those are the right letters :lol: ) so you think its fine to let it overwinter? it doesn't get below 0 often at all.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It would more likely be 4b/5a (4a is northern part of zone 4, which would not be next to 5b, southern part of zone 5).

You would have to understand you are at the extreme end of its range. If you can plant it in a protected spot (like on a south facing slope or next to a south facing wall) it should be ok. Otherwise give it lots of winter protection, mulch deep. Maybe even once it is dormant, put a cage around it and fill the cage with leaves. And all of this only applies to a plant in the ground. Plants in containers freeze a lot more solid and go through more freeze thaw cycles, so they don't tolerate the cold as well.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

yes that is it, 4b/5a.. I got it backwards LOL!!! :) eh, the seeds were 33c. if it dies then it was a fun experiment anwyays! :) I cant try and dump leaves on it. now to decide where to put it.. hmm....

froggy

I started some lavender seeds in late december... Just put them on some moist cotton balls and moved them to topsoil once the little root poked out...
Now they are between 1-2"... (everything indoors, south facing window, 2 fluorescent tubes)
in spring I'll put them into separate pots with a more suitable medium. Then they go outside.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

ok, question again... :) do different types of lavender have different hardiness? the ones I picked up said zones 6-9... is there one more appropriate for my zone? or do they all behave the same and you just need to mulch it well for the winter?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You are at the extreme edge of where lavender might survive the winter. Some varieties are rated hardy to zone 5 (Lavender Munstead, French Lavender-lavender dentata). But being at the very north edge of zone 5, makes even them a bit problematic. Might survive until you got an extra cold winter, if you mulch really well.

Otherwise grow it in a pot and bring it in for the winter, as I do with rosemary, which is less hardy.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

maybe that is just what I"ll do. bring it in for the winter and do it in a pot. I like that idea. ok then, I will go ahead and start it!

it is lavender lady lavendula angustifolia.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

That is the one I'm growing this year, too! :) It's already sprouted in my basement under lights. It is hardy for me here in zone 6, but not for you. But should do fine in a pot, brought in for the winter.

applestar
Mod

Grew English lavender angustifolia 'Munstead' from seeds for the first time this year :()
image.jpg
:arrow: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 65#p325765

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”