ThePepperSeed
Cool Member

I started my hot peppers in late January, jalapenos started about a week ago. I'm in northern IL.

applestar
Mod

Wow that took a while! Approx 3 weeks then? Is this with bottom heat? Any idea as to the temperature? Also did you use a humidity cover?

ThePepperSeed
Cool Member

applestar wrote:Wow that took a while! Approx 3 weeks then? Is this with bottom heat? Any idea as to the temperature? Also did you use a humidity cover?
germination for my super hots took 15 - 25 days and still have a few I'm waiting on. I sprout them in my basement in solo cups of potting soil. No heat pads and air temp in the mid 60's. I'm never in a hurry for them to sprout, I always start them very early :D

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I just started some today.

The Mad Hatter

I am going to arrange some shelves this weekensld and move some pots around to he em off my heat able. Then I am starting some red habaneros, Roma tomatoes, pink brandywine tomatoes, bell peppers, Hungarian hit wax peppers, and some red jalapenos.

T.M.H.

Faayth
Newly Registered

gixxerific wrote:
Faayth wrote:Butting in here.

I planted bell peppers indoors on Feb 11. Everything else I planted at the same time has sprouted, but not the peppers. Should I expect to see sprouts soon, or should I start another pot?
Peppers normally take a little while to get going. Do you have heat under them that helps a lot. What are the "other" things you started?
They sprouted over the weekend. :) No heat, I don't have much of a set-up right now. Just some pots in the window.

I planted carrots, cucumbers and several herbs at the same time I did the peppers.

Halfway
Green Thumb

Wow, 4-5 days for the tepins and caribbean reds. Still awaiting the hot portugals.

Tepins and Reds were planned for 3 weeks or more, so now I am scrambling a bit. :oops:

Gonna be some bushy peppers when hardening!!

wisconsingal

I'm a bit surprised to see so many early starts for peppers. Assuming a late May/early June move to the garden for peppers, I'll be starting them mid-late March here in SE Wisconsin.

I have started them earlier in the past. This year a colder than average spring is predicted for the area so I decided to just hold back a while on peppers and tomatoes. I have limited space in the house, so for me there is no reason to rush into things.

I hope I'm making a good decision here.

F0od

Planted my Jalapeños in Arizona 3 weeks ago with tomatoes. They came up a few days after tomatoes. I don't keep track but it probably took a week. Gets 55-60 in my kitchen at night. I keep them in a plywood box with clear roofing as a top during the day. Can get 120 in there if I don't prop the lid open. I try to keep it around 80

vermontkingdom

I started my onion, leek and shallot seeds in early January and various cole and lettuce head seeds in early Feb. They are all doing great. I started 32 varieties of hot peppers and two varieties of eggplants this past weekend and tomato and sweet pepper seeds will be started at the end of March.

aliall1

Mine (the bell peppers anyway) finally sprouted. Still nothing from the Jalapenos yet.

arisachu
Cool Member

Mad Hatter,
Those are some beautiful plants you've got there. I'm jealous. :)

Also,
I just planted some banana peppers. Should I also be expecting a long germination time? I believe they have also been under some heat, but I'd have to check which container they were planted in to be certain.

The Mad Hatter

arisachu wrote:Mad Hatter,
Those are some beautiful plants you've got there. I'm jealous. :)

Also,
I just planted some banana peppers. Should I also be expecting a long germination time? I believe they have also been under some heat, but I'd have to check which container they were planted in to be certain.
Thanks for the compliments I appreciate it. I have some Caribbean reds, yellow hot wax, green bells, big boys, roma, jalapenos, and pink brandywines that are all sprouting now. Tomorrow I will start some more I think.

T.M.H.

arisachu
Cool Member

I wish I had more room to plant more/bigger plants like that.
[off-topic] It's funny, because I don't even really like vegetables (my bf will eat them and I'll probably give some away as friendly gifts, though I did promise my grandmother I'd eat the first ripe tomato), but I didn't want to plant flowers because I want to grow things with utility, I.e., ability to eat them. :lol: I'll eat some because I begrudgingly know that vegetables are so good for you, but I just am enjoying the creating life aspect of it all. :) Is anyone else as baffled as I am about how such big, beautiful, edible things can grow from such teeny-tiny seeds?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Is anyone else as baffled as I am about how such big, beautiful, edible things can grow from such teeny-tiny seeds?

YES!! Isn't it amazing... I think that's a lot of the reason why I have 16 running feet of lights in my basement and start 500 or so plants from seed every winter, most of which get given away and/or sold as a fund raiser for my church. I just love being part of the process.

Even now looking at my teeny-tiny tomato plants with their first pair of true leaves, it's hard to imagine that in just a few months they are going to be huge, thick stemmed and 6' tall!

alaskagold

rainbow, I just wish I had a basement to do what you do!

I have a lot of seeds planted. You guys are horrible at the itchy cabin fevered person. Oh spring, please come soon!

Most of my peppers have sprouted. Next year, I will be seeding in Jan.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Love basements! Our house would be so much more crowded and less useful without it. Our basement houses my seed starting operation, a tool/ work bench, a computer/desk (for the third computer), all the camping equipment, a chest freezer for the extra veggies, the collection of paint and supplies, crafting supplies, games, extra canned/paper goods, laundry sink for dirty clean up, my honey's immense collection of music equipment and instruments, exercise gear, a TV/lounge area, apt size frig and microwave for snacks with the TV (thus defeating the purpose of the exercise equipment! :? ) and a half bath. If we put a shower in, you could live down there!

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”