annastasia76

greenhouse tips???

ok so today after talking and posting here I have decided/figured out that I can easily make a greenhouse with the supplies that I have here. upside down table and clear painter's plastic cloth.

I am concerned that I know nothing about green houses, I do know that they need airflow and to not let them get to hot, but that's my limit. I just want this for germinating outdoors and while the plants are still to small to transplant in the garden. so please if you know anything about this please let me know.

should I take the plastic off on hot days, at what temp should I take it off, what about watering, how often should I water it, and airflow should I take it off every once in a while for air circulation???

annastasia76

ok I found myself one very simple but good site, still looking for more info.
https://www.helium.com/items/1372693-how-to-use-a-greenhouse

farmerlon
Green Thumb

Sounds to me like you may be after more of a "cold frame" design... for starting transplants and hardening-off seedlings.
I didn't check, but I suppose that a search of this forum will turn up several designs. :D

A lot of Cold Frame designs feature a hinged lid, which can be very convenient for easy access (without having to remove or re-attach the covering each time).

wordwiz
Green Thumb

annastasia76 wrote:ok so today after talking and posting here I have decided/figured out that I can easily make a greenhouse with the supplies that I have here. upside down table and clear painter's plastic cloth.

I am concerned that I know nothing about green houses, I do know that they need airflow and to not let them get to hot, but that's my limit. I just want this for germinating outdoors and while the plants are still to small to transplant in the garden. so please if you know anything about this please let me know.

should I take the plastic off on hot days, at what temp should I take it off, what about watering, how often should I water it, and airflow should I take it off every once in a while for air circulation???
From experience - be very careful with greenhouses and cold frames, especially early in the season and even more so if you won't be around to babysit it. Strong storms can destroy a structure if it isn't anchored well. Plus, wild temp swings. Last spring, the forecast was for mostly cloudy with a high of 48. I left that morning at ~10 am and it was 43 so I did not open the door as I had about 50 plants growing, almost all of them full of blooms plus little tomatoes. That afternoon, the skies cleared, the sun came out strong and it got close to 60. By the time I got back at 3 pm it was 125 inside, and that was closer to the ground. I literally had several fried green tomatoes. Even when I'm home all day (I work from here as much as from an office) I've seen temps go from 35 to 75 in less than an hour.

This year, I'll be starting seedlings inside but once they germinate, they will go to the GH. A difference - I won't have to worry about it being too cold, because maters can withstand 40 degrees (I won't have to worry about blossom drop!) and I have a screen door on it now.

Mike

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”