DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Eric, there's not much chance that anything I grow will be doing better than yours.
Apple,
Oh! Horse Manure! I may grow more, doesn't make them better. :wink:

You most of told your onions to strike a pose, they sure look good. Mine are look somewhere around Feb 14th :lol: Are you planning to cut the tops off?

Eric

applestar
Mod

Why, thank you. :D

They were practicing for their audition to American Idol.
They are letting their hair grow, but I do give them a trim now and then when they get too floppy because then they can get kinked, and crimped hair is SOOO yesterday. :roll: ...or accidentally bruised....

Wow, this imagery doesn't work to well to continue, but the trimmings make fine garnish for salads and soups, baked potatoes, etc. :wink:

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Transplanting the onion seedlings
Onion seedling of about 8 weeks can be transplanted. In other criteria about 22 cm tall onion seedlings are ready for transplantation. Onion seedlings must be hardened in order to make them tolerant to transplantation shock. For it, one week drought is maintained in the nursery bed exposing sunlight and not irrigating the nursery bed.

In the transplantation day; 1 hour before uprooting the seedlings, irrigation is done in the onion seedling raising nursery bed. Please don't cut the tip of the foliage of the onion seedlings. Cutting of the tip of the onion seedlings is called topping. Topping will lower the onion bulb size leading to the growing onion less successful. About 3 cm deep transplantation of the onion bulb is good.

Flat production field is better than the raised production field with respect to the onion bulb harvest. The spacing of the onion seedling should be 15 to 10 cm if growing onion is in cool season. The spacing of 15 x 20 cm is maintained if growing onion is done in warm season. The transplanted field or transplanted onion seedlings should be irrigated after the transplantation.
I keep reading that topping is not recommended while growing onion seedlings or at transplant time. I find it unusual that the onions I've been buying from Territorial Seed Co. have both the tops and roots cut back. They been giving nice size bulbs every year. :?

Eric
Last edited by DoubleDogFarm on Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

applestar
Mod

I've read something similar too, but I've found in the past that iif I let them get too long, they inevitably flop over and I'll pinch them between containers, put containers on top of the trailing ones, or they get tangled up with each other --- and get bruised. so I find it better to keep them just tall enough enough to still stand up on their own.

maybe if you can grow sturdier seedlings -- air movement, temp cycles? -- they wouldn't flop over.

I think that once planted, I would agree that cutting the tops at any time would reduce the bulb size since each leaf's photosynthesis contribute to each layer of the onion.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I trim my onions when they get to "hairy". Mine look like DDF's but I have mine thinned to 1 to a cell, well for the most part they are thinned out. I was actually thinking about trashing mine since I planted close to a hundred already.

applestar
Mod

Don't trash them, plant them! :D
If they don't make it they don't make it, but at least you gave them the chance. :wink:

Not meaning any offence, but I'll be amazed if all 100 planted already grow to full maturity. After all, attrition is part of the game.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”