GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Starting Vanilla Bean Seeds

I bought a vanilla bean the other day for the purpose of removing the seeds and trying to grow the vine. I have done minimal reading at it seems like you may need some kind of fungus just to get the seeds to germinate?? Is this true? Do the seeds need cold stratification?

Since I decided to look into it AFTER I bought the bean I figure I at least better find out all the details before I actually plant them!

Any tips or suggestions would be much appreciated!

froggy

If you bought the vanilla bean as it is sold to use as a spice, I don't think you'll have much luck in germinating the seeds. In order for the flavor to develop, the beans are fermented etc. Which I would think would kill the seeds. - Just my thoughts, not sure if I am right on that though...

As for cold stratification - it is a tropical plant, so nope, it's not needed.

Since it is an orchid, read up on how to grow orchids from seed :)

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

I would thing that unless the bean is fermented artificially that it'd actually be good for the seeds...but I too will admit that's partially a guess on my part. I did buy a spice bean though.

Logical on the tropical thing....didn't even think of that.

I'll see what I can find on orchids.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

You can buy cuttings of vanilla orchid (Vanilla planifolia) vines, but you can't grow them from the beans because the fementation process needed to develop the vanilla flavor kills the seeds. The cuttings are pretty easy to grow.

The "Bean" is a seed pod that has literally millions of seeds inside. Orchid seeds are evolutionalry minimalists with just a few cells in each seed. In nature they do need to parasitize a fungus in order to grow, but people grow them using sterile tissue culture techniques.

Do a search on "orchid flasking" for details

Factoid...each an every vanilla bean you see was hand pollinated because the bee that did the job in nature is either rare/extinct in the native region of Veracruz Mexico, or the vines are being grown in other parts of the world that never had the bees. The flowers are only open for a couple of days and the vines can be 100 ft long so they are watched closely. no flowers untill the vine is about 30 ft long.

If you do decide to grow a cutting you can loop it over a hoop support like a cheap garden hose hanger or you can loop them over a hanging basket and each section touching the soil will usually put out roots.

applestar
Mod

Now see, you got the wheels turning in my head :lol:
Vanilla orchid is a plant on my wish list, and -- from what you said -- another project idea to make a living wreath on one of those moss-lined wreath forms would be the perfect growing platform for the vanilla! :D

Succulents was what I had been thinking but I wasn't quite sold on the idea. Perfect! A NEW PROJECT!! :()

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

TZ.....thanks for all that info! Kind of a bummer, I guess I'll just have to give the extra bean to the g/f to use for baking. Now I just have to find a cutting.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

An absolutely *wonderful* use for a whole vanilla bean is to put it into your sugar canister (assuming that you use sugar in your household). Just leave it there. The sugar will take on a subtle vanilla flavor. I've done this whenever vanilla beans come to hand (occasionally, but not often), and the beans last for over a year.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

applestar
Mod

Yep! and I've seen a few "homemade vanilla extract" kits that consist of stoppered bottle and a vanilla bean. You're supposed to put the bean in the bottle and fill with alcohol -- I've read rum, bourbon, vodka, but haven't tried this myself... yet. 8)

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

May try that applestar!

As for the sugar thing, probably not so much. I don't like the smell or taste of vanilla. (weird I know) But the g/f is great at baking and she uses it a lot, even in chocolate recipes so, I'm sure she'll have use for it!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

So why do you want to grow vanilla if you don't like the smell of it? You understand if you do get as far as having vanilla orchid flowers, they smell like vanilla too?

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

the girlfriend uses them a lot in baking. She asked me if I could grow some so I told her I'd give it a shot. Yeah I realize it'll smell like it. I mean it's not horrid or anything, just don't really like it. But you know, sometimes you take one for the team. :wink: there's worse things she could have asked for lol.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”