gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

What size pot to use this year for Tomatoes?

I am going to start plating tomatoes tomorrow. I have the mix and seed and any size pot you could need. So I'm wondering what I should start them in. Last year I used peat pots and other small methods with good success.

My plants grew fast and never looked back. So that is why I am thinking of starting them in 4 inch pots. That way I won't have to up-pot them so soon. What do you think. I have everything from 72 cell flats to 10 gallon pots. Though as I said I have a ton of 3 and 4 inch pots.

Give me some insight.

Oh and spring is around the corner I can smell it. :D

applestar
Mod

A couple of years ago, a member described his method of planting 2 or 3 seeds in each corner of 4" or 3.5" square pots, then culling/clipping weaker seedlings to just one in each corner.

I adopted/adapted the basic principles of this method, so that keeper tomato seedlings (in the first germination starter container) would stand almost 2" apart. Also in J. Jeevons book How to Grow More Vegetables..., he recommends 3" deep flat for starting most seeds. Obviously, smaller seeds can be closer together (maybe 9 in a 4" and larger seeds need to be farther apart). His book also describes the container depth for growing to transplant size depending on the plant.

Ideally, I like to use Jeevon's recommendation to cut apart the soil in the seed flat with a sharp knife (to clean cut the roots) like a sheet cake 1 week before uppotting, though I admit I don't always.

I use all kinds of recycled containers as well as square and round plastic pots. I found out last year that transplants uppotted into small clay pots performed the best, so I'm trying to increase my clay pot inventory, though they're heavier, not as space-saving, and harder to handle sometimes....

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote: I found out last year that transplants uppotted into small clay pots performed the best, so I'm trying to increase my clay pot inventory, though they're heavier, not as space-saving, and harder to handle sometimes....
I find this interesting do you have any ideas as to why?

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”