Chaesman

Ghost pepper seedlings and others

I have about 130 seedlings started some Tomato some cabbage some cauliflower, a few pepper varieties including Ghost Peppers I only had a few ghost pepper seeds and have been waiting very patiently for them to sprout, Well Today after 25 + days two just started to crown the dirt Every thing else is pretty much up allready. Normally the area they are in runs 70 at night and with the lights on during the day around 80 a little higher if we are running the Dryer.

My question is the temp has only been 70 in the area allday today due to these Snow storms. I am execting a drop to around 60 in the area tonight

Will these peppers that are just crowning survive at that temp? Should I toss the heating pad under them till morning? I realy don't want to loose these sprouts since I only had a few ghosts to start with

any advice will be appreciated.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

60's aren't gonna kill peppers. May just slow em down for a few days. If youre very worried about them cover them or maybe leave the light on?

I'm confused about where in your house they are and what you are growing them in. If they are in cell packs, put the dome covers back on for the night or go get the dome covers from lowe's. Or you could cover with cling wrap or any other kind of plastic. Just try to make it so not a lot of air flow is coming in and out.

But I wouldn't worry about it.

Chaesman

Location in house is a shelf we installed with an adjustable flouresent light fixture above it.. It is located above Our Washing machine. We live in a mobile home and have to put things 1 out of kids reach and 2 where I won't go bump in the middle of the night

Green House should be put up Saturday, Sunday at the latest then I will be moveing some stuff around

Yes they are in cell packs and yes I have Domes for them So I will take your advice and Put the domes on for the night and not stress over it.

Thank goodness 40's friday and 50's sat through all next week I am so ready for spring

Thanks

Jon

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I grew peppers with the temp near freezing in my green house last year and did not loose any. It only slows the growth down a good bit below 40!

wordwiz
Green Thumb

Actually, cool temps are great for seedlings once they start. Causes them to grow squarty. Lots of leaves, thick but little stems.

Have you ever seen a volunteer tomato plant in your garden. Six inches tall, eight leaves, a stem as thick as a pencil!

I spent a bunch of time yesterday making a screen door for my GH. Two goals: keep the cats from coming in and let the heat get out. I can always drop a blanket over it if the temps are predicted to drop too low (less than 40).

Mike

Chaesman

Thanks for all the information.. I never knew cool temps could accually help a seedling. Seems everyone owns a GH. Well I am Slowly joining the club set up a portable gh today am currious will it hold any heat from the build up of heat during the day or will it just go to night time temps due to lack of sun.. This is an un-insulated unheated portable GH

Thanks for the advice everyone

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Chaesman wrote:Thanks for all the information.. I never knew cool temps could accually help a seedling. Seems everyone owns a GH. Well I am Slowly joining the club set up a portable gh today am currious will it hold any heat from the build up of heat during the day or will it just go to night time temps due to lack of sun.. This is an un-insulated unheated portable GH

Thanks for the advice everyone
Put in a few hundred gallons of stored water or even a small brick pile to hold the heat collected during the day! Stack the brick in piles of 4 or 6 wide and as high as is stable! Set the brick on a insulated foam board off the ground! you need a double insulation on the greenhouse! If you have electric hook a fan that will come on when the greenhouse goes above 60 and have it blow on the water barrel or brick! If your greenhouse is double plastic or glass the inside of this solar greenhouse will stay about 10 degrees above the outside temp at night unless you get a week of cloudy weather! Keep us up to date and God Luck!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Jon,

Unfortunately, it will most likely match outside temps.
Warm soil and cool air is a good combination.

My greenhouse has been over 90 degrees a couple days this week and crashes at night. Slightly warmer than outside. :( 40s

Eric

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

My greenhouse as never gone below 25 degrees even when the temperature outside is 5 degrees! I was wondering why when the inside temp was so low on the cloudy days ! I think I figured out why! My water barrels had some ice in them on the top! When water changes to ice in a phase change it give off 100 times more heat than a one degree change in water temp! As the water changes to ice it is giving off alot of heat and keeping the greenhouse above 25 degrees and my parsley and swisschart is still growing even a few flowers!. Has anyone else have any ideas on this! Solar is the way to go!

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”