iamsofaking
Newly Registered

Manure

I'm getting ready to get my seedlings started. I was going to mix 2 parts coir to 1 part verm and 1 part perlite. I have a bag of composted cow poo also and thought it may be a good addition to the mix. So I have a few of questions.

1. Should I add it at all?
2. How much should I add?
3. Should I sterilize it in the oven before adding it?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

iamsofaking,

Me too.

I think you should mix it all together and put it in a 400 degree oven.

Not funny

Eric

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I would mix some peat moss with the mix. Vermiculite gets too mushy sometimes without the peat! I even like a little sand in the mix!

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I would mix some peat moss with the mix. Vermiculite gets too mushy sometimes without the peat! I even like a little sand in the mix!

farmerlon
Green Thumb

Personally, I would use very little of the composted cow manure in a seed starting mix... because that is likely to be a nitrogen-rich product.

I've been making a mix for starting transplants in Soil Blocks; which I learned about from reading Eliot Coleman's the New Organic Grower. Mr. Coleman states that seed starting mixes should not be overly fertile (high in nitrogen) because that can inhibit the germination of the seeds.
His "transplant" mix recommends a little Blood Meal as a source of nitrogen; but it's a "scant" amount. To give you a reference, I used three (3) #10 Cans [which would total more than 300 ounces] to measure the Peat that I added to the mix, and only added 2 Tablespoons of Blood Meal.

He even recommends leaving out the Blood Meal to start seedlings, if they will be up-potted after germination. :D

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

never heard of putting it in the oven.....gross.

Hope y'all have separate ovens for for this stuff.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Jeff,

I made a few mud pies when I was a kid, but never in the oven.

I was make fun of this persons avatar. I-am-so-faking. Makes me go Hmm, is this person messing with us? Does he / she really want to put manure in the oven?

If iamsofaking is serious I most apologies. :wink:

Eric

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”