Jalopy19
Cool Member

General Electric Chroma 50 Bulbs - anyone tried?

General Electric sells "Chroma 50" 24 inch bulbs at Lowes (in an orange package labeled "Sunshine" with a CRI of 90 and a color temp of 5000K). They reportedly put out about 875 Lumens.

My rig includes a utility rack from Sams and two of the $16.99 two 24 inch tube florescent fixtures from Lowes. The issue I ran into there was that you have to wire the fixtures yourself which costs about 7$ each if you do it with the pre-made one sided extension cord. The simple electrical work went well and I am happy with how it turned out ultimately. My main wonder is if anyone has tried these bulbs?

Thanks,
Jalopy19

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Sorry, I have not.

My light puts out somewhere between 62,000 and 100,000 lux. 8)

Where is Soil?

Eric

Jalopy19
Cool Member

Yea. I have a NMH 400W fixture as well, but I feel like it's overkill. Plus, my wife won't let me put it in the living room :).

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

My light is perfectly located about 93 million miles from earth.

Sorry this is not helping you, but it is fun. Also keeps your post at the top of the page. :wink:

Eric

hydroguy

That light will work but for veg. you really want to be at 6500K. Sounds like a bargain on those fixtures.

Jalopy19
Cool Member

Which is more important, color temperature or color rendering index (CRI)?

hydroguy

from Wikipedia ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_rendering_index ):

"The color rendering index (CRI) (sometimes called color rendition index), is a quantitative measure of the ability of a light source to reproduce the colors of various objects faithfully in comparison with an ideal or natural light source. Light sources with a high CRI are desirable in color-critical applications such as photography and cinematography.[1] It is defined by the International Commission on Illumination as follows:[2]

Color rendering: Effect of an illuminant on the color appearance of objects by conscious or subconscious comparison with their color appearance under a reference illuminant

The CRI of a light source does not indicate the apparent color of the light source; that information is under the rubric of the correlated color temperature (CCT).

CRI's ability to predict color appearance has been criticized in favor of measures based on color appearance models, such as CIECAM02 and, for daylight simulators, the CIE Metamerism Index.[3] CRI is not a good indicator for use in visual assessment, especially for sources below 5000 kelvin (K).[4][5]"

Personally I've all ways gone with the Kelvin rating, 6500K for vegetative growth and 5000K or lower for fruiting / flowering phase of the plants life.

hydroguy

Jalopy19
Cool Member

Some interesting notes on CRI:

https://www.fullspectrumsolutions.com/cri_explained.htm

Interesting notes on how CRI is a little misleading as you an only compare the CRI of two light sources if they share the same color temperature. Also, it is only at all comparable to sunlight if the color temp of the bulb is 5000-6000K.

Jalopy19
Cool Member

I've often heard the concept that 2700K (more red) promotes flowering and fruiting and that 5000-6500K was more for photosynthesis/vegetative growth.

Has this ever been scientifically proven?

How does the plant know the difference?

I would assume that the plant would only know how much sugar (IE photosynthesis) it could produce and then figure out what to do with the energy from there. Much the same as our bodies do.

I may be way off, but does anyone have any sites which look into this or is it a myth?

That being said, it seems to be a well established concept with many commercial growers using the red/blue combination systems.

Any thoughts?

F0od

I think it has to do with the color of the light. Like more blueish light is better for growth, and redish light is better for fruiting

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”