GomoIsGardening
Cool Member

Question re: lighting, my setup

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32425

If I use aluminum foil on the bottom of the shelves and on top of the lights, can I get away with only one light per shelf?

I'm trying to think ahead when everything needs to be potted up. I would like to take some of the light fixtures back before HD wants me to pay for them.

When it warms up enough everything is going into a storage shed and then one of my dog kennels as a make shift green house.

Sorry if I didn't post the original thread properly. I have skills but computer is not one of them.

wordwiz
Green Thumb

Mary Ann,

Only if you like leggy plants. It will be like making a big pot of beef stew and leaving the beef out.

Mike

GomoIsGardening
Cool Member

Geez Mike, you couldn't have said it better!

Was just trying to save some money.

The electricity blew out in my neighborhood before the rolling blackouts and I'm very afraid I have to get a new pump switch on the well. It's the switch that's inside the well. Don't think my homeowner insurance will cover.

Oh well, time to get a second job!

wordwiz
Green Thumb

Mary Ann,

Sorry, but enough light is probably the most important thing for seedlings. If you only want to start a couple of 1020 trays at a time, and plan to move them into the sunlight not long after they start growing, you might get away with one light per tier.

Mike

GomoIsGardening
Cool Member

I'm hoping for normal TX weather. Then I'll have few problems.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

I can honestly say I've been getting by, by the skin of my teeth, with one fixture (two bulbs) per tier for three years now. However this year I got a few extras on the cheap so I will have two per tier.

My plants were leggier than preferred, but I kept the lights right on top of the plants.

All that being said, I can honestly say that my plants, although they provided what I needed and more, didn't get anywhere near full potential. I'm hoping for a much better year this year. But bad year or good year, I love the hobby and I learn every season. We can't ALWAYS afford to make the changes we have learned we need to, but we do what we can with what we have, and add as we can.

GomoIsGardening
Cool Member

Thank you everyone! I did buy more shop lights than I thought I needed. Have enough tubes for the duration.

Wanted to see if I could save some money.

It's all good. Had high hopes of returning stuff. Guess not!

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”