tedln
Super Green Thumb

Which method will work?

On January 2, I planted my tomato seed varieties and a few pepper seeds. One variety of pepper was a hybrid giant jalapeño. Another was an old heirloom variety I got from Pinetree Seeds named Chinese Giant.

The Jalapeno germinated and grew from the seed like they had springs under them and couldn't wait to get to the light. I think their cotyledons were completely open within seven days.

The Chinese Giant seed seem to be testing my patience even though I have provided perfect, heated; growing conditions. They have now been planted for twenty eight days with no results. The seed appears to be healthy and viable, but nothing happens. I decided yesterday to try some enhanced methods to germinate the seed. I bleach treated four seed and placed them in a coffee filter in a zip lock bag placing them in a warm, dark area. I also prepared four others by cutting through the very outer edge of the seed shell with a razor blade allowing easier access by moisture to the seed embryo. I then placed them in a coffee filter in a zip lock.

Which do you think is true?

1, The twenty eight day planted seed will eventually germinate.
2. The bleach treated seed in a coffee filter will germinate.
3. The perforated seed shell in a coffee filter will germinate.
4. None of them will germinate.
Ted
Last edited by tedln on Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

marlingardener,

Go easy on the "successful and experienced" stuff. I may be older, but I still haven't learned one half of what really good gardeners have forgotten.

Ted

wordwiz
Green Thumb

Ted,

Try banana, coffee or peppercorn seeds! 28 days is nothing!

There are so many things that can influence germination, including the quality of the potting mix, its consistent moisture content and soil temp, depth seeds were sown at. Sometimes I think what house the moon is in and what planets align and if is the Dawning of the Age of Aquarius. (Sorry!)

To wit: over the past year I have tried to germinate banana seeds. In potting mix, Horticubes, Rapid Rooters, plastic bag. With stratification and without. Nicking the seeds, not nicking them. Sticking them in a humidifier, keeping them at room temps. I got two out of 300 seeds to break the soil. A couple of months ago, I started another 40 or so, in el-cheapo potting mix. At least two of them are now up. But they have been on a heating mat, and the mix has stayed moist, since they were sown.

As far as peppers, most of mine are up in 7-14 days, including the super hots. But I've had a few join the party eight weeks after they were put to bed.

Mike

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Ted,

I tell you, at 28 days, my patience will be tested for sure :lol: Though I've had few varieties last year at 20 days germination (while most 7-14)

Since the stakes are high here, I'm going to live dangerously, placing my bet in the bleach treated seeds :wink: Good luck, Ted!

Mike - didn't know that coffee and bananas take so long, learn something new every day!

Regards,
D

csvd87

I have had a Thai pepper (Prik Bra Dap Charming) in a plastic bag for about 30 days, it hasn't rotted, it hasn't changed colour, it is just sitting there... 2 thai varieties I can't get to Germinate, that one and Sri Num Khao, also having a hell of a time with Bhut Jolokia, Clavo, Orange Manzano, CAP 1478 C. Praetermissum(Got 1 to, but it died trying to shed it's helmet), and Yellow Monkeyface. No issues with the rest of them so far, haven't tried all of my C. Annuum.

Going to lay down a few more and see how it goes, trying in peat pellets in a heated dome this time around.

I vote for the bleach treated, I did this as a test with cayenne, and every one came up within 10 days.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Ted,

Time for an update, my friend :wink:

Regards,
D

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

I think it's gonna just turn out to be a slow germinating seed. Thats a long time to wait for peppers! But it'll be worth the wait :wink:

tedln
Super Green Thumb

well I check them every morning and evening and haven't detected any changes. I thought I could see small hairs emanating from a couple of seeds, but on closer examination,the hairs were the line of the bubble which forms over the seed when you fold the coffee filter back over itself over the seed.

I check on them so often, I think they have hired a lawyer and are planning on suing me over invasion of privacy.I did find a few more tomato seed that had germinated on a second round after experiencing the bleach treatment.

I did get one of the Chinese pepper plants to germinate after 29 days. Unfortunately he was born with a football helmet on and couldn't get it off. Guess he heard he was near Dallas and might have a chance to be in the super bowl tomorrow. He kinda suffocated in that big old helmet.
Probably didn't help that uncle Ted was pulling on the helmet when his head came off. I did have one tomato form a new leaf cluster at the end of the bare stem on a tomato plant this year. It lost it head trying to get its helmet off all by itself.

I was wondering why we don't just germinate seed in vials of water, then drain the water off and plant the seedlings?

Ted

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I was wondering why we don't just germinate seed in vials of water, then drain the water off and plant the seedlings?
I nominate Ted to do this experiment. Who will second it. :D

I wonder if you would need an air stone in the vial.

I could see you doing them like bean sprouts and alfalfa sprouts. It's more of a rinse than a soaking.

Ted, your a pretty funny guy. :lol:

Eric

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I planted Chinese Giant last year and had no trouble with them, germinated in less than a week, on my heat mat. Yesterday I planted the rest of last year's seed packet of Chinese Giant, let you know what happens. I also planted some seeds I saved from green pepper from my CSA farm. I don't know what variety they planted.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”