Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Seed planting boxes are everywhere!

Use your imagation and keep your eyes ope and you will find more seed planting boxes! I don't plant in boxes I bought for planting I use what I find or get free. I keep my eyes open at a local garden center since they throw away tons of pots and containers. gallon round plastic tree containers and all types they throw away! Even the seed starters I must have gotten 50 of them free. Two years ago my friend who has a bread store had 20 2 by 2 plastic bread boxes that were 5 inches deep and 2 inch square holes all surround by a heavy plastic. These boxes are strong with handles n the sides. I use 4 of them last year and all I did is put them inside a clear palstic bag I got a t the brewery free. Any way they worked great for my tomatoes! I still have about 20 styrofoam boxes I will use this week! As long as the box is 5 or more inches deep I can keep the plants in longer! I will have 4 or 5 gardens this year at different locations!Looking forward to this year in my green house. What type of boxes are used by others here?

froggy

Check out this thread, it's the same kind of idea...

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22433

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

froggy wrote:Check out this thread, it's the same kind of idea...

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22433
Thanks for this great link! What s nice about this forum s the referals to other post that may make your ow post seem important that people think along the same lines once their brains are se in motion! I have aso gotten nice seed starting boxes from old grills that have both parts of the grill made out of cast iron and are plenty deep but light in weight with even drain holes! Old refrigators that have the vegie bins mae out of metal or plastic are about 8 inches deep! If you see a old dresser thrown out use the drawers for a few years. If you have a container that has too many holes or is a little weak just stick it inside a plastic bag. Some of the grocery bags also work great to put your containers in! Go to a junk yard and find many electric stove drawers or aluminum pans for a small price! Corregated plastic can be cut and made into boxes just by glueing parts together! Wer got the containers but still keep your eyes open and watch those dumpsters for broken parts that only the gardeer can use!

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”