Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Reflective light materials to aid seedlings!

Does white material reflect light to the seedlings or a shiny surface like a mirror or metal surface do a better job? Where should this reflective surface be placed in the green house? Will a angled wall above the greenhouse with a reflective surface help the plants grow faster? Actually a mirror could be placed 20 feet from a greenhouse and angled to reflect the sunlight into the greenhouse right?

wordwiz
Green Thumb

Mirrors cause hot spot - avoid them. Mylar or flat white walls work great.

Mike

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

A lot of white materials are semi transparent and so do not reflect as much light as you might think. Grow room white plastic (made to be reflective) is about 90%, a white kitchen trashbag is far less due to the light that goes through. you would want a high quality (more pigment particles) white paint for best reflection. Flat white gives a more even light distribution. Grow room Mylar sheeting is about 95% reflective (you can see through a potatochip bag a little bit). Aluminum foil is over 80% light reflective, the dull side is slightly less reflective than the shiny side but they are pretty close.

Light substantially decreases with distance from the object so you would want reflective material close to the plants. I would put the reflective material under the plants and on the north interior wall.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

How about white styrofoam for reflexion and insulation on the north wall! The bead construction of styrofoam would make it reflect in all directions! You can even buy the 2 by 4 sheets for behind paneling and its cheap! I have glued it to a wall and it held nicely! I think I will change my name from Bobberman to Styrofoamman!

applestar
Mod

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=112334&highlight=chip+bag#112334

SUPERBOWL is coming up!! :wink:

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=112334&highlight=chip+bag#112334

SUPERBOWL is coming up!! :wink:
Good Stuff Thanks! The Steelers pratice 3 miles from me in the summer in Latrobe P.a.

Halfway
Green Thumb

Someone had posted about using the windshield shades made from mylar and sold cheaply at dollar store etc.

Also take a look at the cheap "emergency" blankets. Those are cheap and large enough to cover a lot of area.

I understand mylar to be much more efficient than aluminum foil and I use it for my indoor hydroponic lettuce grow as well as springtime starts.

8)

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I have used the white styrofoam pannels for that purpose. In a previous life I turned a third floor concrete walled apartment balcony into an orchid greenhouse and the panels were the easiest thing to use in case the landlord objected.

White shade paint is cheaper and washes off with water and a scrub, and the black white "panda" plastic is cheaper than the foam as well. You can find that on some hydroponic supply websites.

Hydroponics
Cool Member

Mylar is by far the most expensive option but it is the best. Aluminum foil is MUCH cheaper for about 20-25% less efficiency.

I'm sure those big blanket style methods will reflect some light at next to no cost and with very little effort. The hardest part will be finding them. This has a lot to do with preference more than anything else. What are you willing to do for it, how much do you want to spend etc.

wordwiz
Green Thumb

TZ -OH6 wrote:...the black white "panda" plastic is cheaper than the foam as well. You can find that on some hydroponic supply websites.
I found some at the fairgrounds. It was used, laying against a building. After washing it off, it was almost like new. Much thicker than Mylar but this was silver on one side, white on the other. Just as bright as Mylar also.

Mike

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

For what it is worth I use the stuff they sell to wrap around your water heater for insulation. It's just like the reflective silver colored windshield shade things but much larger. I use this because I used to get sections for free when I worked construction. The water heater guys left huge pieces after they wrapped the heaters.

I use it with my seedlings only though to, hopefully, increase the light the plants are getting from the fluorescent bulbs I am using.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

They make a white thin slightly insulating material that looks like cross between styrofoam and foam and is used under floating wood floors. It is sold at Lowes for $24 fo a 3 by 100 foot! I think it would be great for reflextion in a greenhouse and probably nice under the seed flats!.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”