mom2cassie

Question about seed starting in recycled boxes

I have an odd question... This year I wanted to recycle as much as possible, so I'm using cardboard boxes for my seedlings. I just started my onion seeds last thursday. I didn't do anything to the boxes... I just put in the sterile soil and planted seeds. Then, I put them in a warm corner of the basement and covered them with saran wrap. The good news.... I finally see my first seedlings of the year (and considering we're currently getting the umteenth snowstorm of the year, I'm definitely doing the happy dance on this!)

I am concerned, however. There is a fuzzy white stuff on the edges of the box. It isn't on the soil at the moment. Is this something I need to worry about? Is there anything I can do or need to do to remedy the situation? I have removed the saran wrap and placed the seedlings under lights.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

soil
Greener Thumb

cardboard boxes are best recycled as mulch imo for this very reason. and secondly long term seedlings outlast the box and it starts to fall apart just making a big mess.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Agree with soil, recycling is a good idea, but your potting soil needs to stay damp all the time, which will make your cardboard mold and turn into mush.

I use only plastic pots in plastic trays because of this. I know plastic isn't so environmentally sound, but I use the same ones over and over... some of them have lasted more than a decade, so I don't feel so bad about it. You can recycle sour cream and other containers for this use (just be sure to put drainage holes in them) and you can use baking pans for the trays.

mom2cassie

Thank you all for the tips! Now... to figure out if I can transfer the seedlings, soil and all to a metal tray. I have plenty of those dinner trays. Do you think I can at least leave the bottom of the box w/o increasing the odds of mold and such? I'm not sure how to do it otherwise....

Thank you all so much!

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”