lily51
Greener Thumb

lemon trees and roses

One grand daughter told me she's been saving seeds from lemons and wants to start her own lemon tree. Has anyone done this and have any suggestions for her (me)?
The other one wants to start roses. I assume these are all started vegetatively.
What happened to sunflowers? :)

applestar
Mod

Marlingardener has given you practical advice as far as expectation of growing fruits from seeds or roses.

How old are your grand daughters? I think my reply will depend on their age.
For lemon seeds, I'm going to refer you to this thread in which another member recently asked about growing kumquat seeds:
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32064

As for growing roses, they are not as easy to grow from seed or from cuttings, especially right now. Cuttings will have a better chance when started in early summer. My experience with trying to start them in mid-winter (e.g. Valentines roses) is that it's extremely difficult to keep the cuttings alive AFTER they have leafed out.

If they are truly interested, though, I would suggest trying apple seeds and citrus seeds in large flowerpots -- 5~6 inches, in sunny south facing window. It may take a month or so for them to sprout however. My plant and forget method in the base of existing plants works because the soil is kept moist for the live plants already. It may not be as easy to remember to water an empty pot of soil. I suggest these fruit seeds because I KNOW they don't mind the limited light conditions of a sunny windowsill as compared to some other more easily sprouted veg or flower seeds which grow too leggy if not given sufficient light. If you can provide supplemental light, than easy to sprout bush beans or tomatoes might be something to consider.

For starting from cuttings at this time of the year, you might try something like sprigs of mint or basil from the grocery store. Mint will be easier than basil and more long-lived. They will easily root in water, though they will grow better if started in soil from the beginning. An uncapped soda bottles with bottoms cut off can provide extra humidity.

froggy

Hi there,

as for the lemon/citrus - yes, it can be done. Not sure what the actual success rate would be, but I have a lemon tree (ok it could be grapefruit, not sure) which sprouted when I had the seeds thrown it with my tomatoes last year. The tomato seedling came up, and just before I planted it outside, the lemon grew as well... I left them together till the end of summer, then potted the lemon tree and brought it inside for winter... Here's a picture:

[img]https://www.schoggifroeschli.com/images/lemon.jpg[/img]
I had spider mite issues, that's why the leaves don't look to happy right now...

I don't remember how many seeds I tossed in there, but only one grew, so keep in mind it is not guaranteed to succeed... I tried two others recently, no luck. (I have it in a pot with other plants now, just in case it's a late starter)

As for roses, I've read that they can grow from seeds, but they have to be stratified (kept cold) for a certain amount of time etc... You can search in the rose forum for an answer to that...
I currently have rosehip seeds in my fridge, hoping to plant them in march...

If you are wanting to start something now, I would recommend Hibiscus (there may be a bush or two in your neighbourhood which still has seeds on it). I planted some around christmas, and had a lot of success, I counted probably about 20 little plants before I decided I couldnt keep that many and threw the rest of the seeds into the garden ('you're on your own now' :P).

[img]https://www.schoggifroeschli.com/images/hibiscus.jpg[/img]
this is one of the little seedlings :)

If you want to do cuttings - a fairly foolproof tree would be willow - I cut some at -8C and they rooted perfectly in a pot of soggy soil.
Only thing you want to watch out for, if they survive to grow big enough, you can't just plant them anywhere, over time they will crack water pipes and septic systems.... so some municipalities won't even allow you to put them in your garden...

Cutting taken on christmas day:

[img]https://www.schoggifroeschli.com/images/willow.jpg[/img]

lily51
Greener Thumb

Thanks for the information. I was sure both would entail more than what they want to do or are ready to do. They just crack me up is all. Always new ideas, always a new plan.
What they love to do is fill the pots with potting soil, wet them down.
They also love to plant seeds, but tend to go way overboard with them.
They're really not into the transplanting of small plants yet, being only 7 ad 8; but they definitely have the interest which is what I hope will take root and grow. As one said, "I'm so glad we're a family that has a greenhouse!"
They consider it all theirs, too!

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”