brewboy19

newb seed starting question about temp etc..

So I wanted to start my seeds indoors this year after I had good results with my test doing it last year. SWMBO says that she doesn't like all my trays on the counters upstairs and suggest I move them to the basement. problem is basement is a constant 58f-61f. My question is without a heating mat is this ok? Or would the plants be ok down there after they were seedlings? I have a room down there I could keep them but I'm afraid it will be too cool. I'm not worried about the growth rate too much and I already have the right kind of lights in that room so I'm mostly concerned about them surviving as small plants as I have invested quite a bit of money into this new heirloom hobby lol. Call me paranoid, I'm guessing it will be ok.

brambleoak

I used to live in a house with a cool (same average temp as yours) basement and I started over 100 differnt types of seeds down there.

With lots of my seeds like peppers and tomatoes, I used a couple of old aquariums as little "greenhouses" with shop lights on top to start the seeds.

With my annuals and some "easy to start" perennials, I used old tables with shop lights to start them.

I "lifted" the plants in the aquariums to get them closer to the lights for warmth during germination and I lowered the lights over the tables to warm the rest of the seeds for germination. Kept the lights on for about 16 hrs a day and as they grew, I moved the plants a little further away from the plants to keep them from 'frying'. You also need to watch that your soil does not try out too quicly with using shop lights but if you're watchful and careful, it can be a good way to grow your plants. I did all this and did not use heat mats at all. I think you'll be OK. :)

I am wishing I still had a basement! LOL Now I'm trying to find things around the house to recycle and turn into mini greenhouses to use in my dining room......

applestar
Mod

Hey, it's my bedtime so I'm just going to point you to this post.
:arrow: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=113972#113972

Follow the links to my other threaeds, then come back with questions if you have any. :wink:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Depends on what you are growing. Cool weather things like broccoli and cold hardy perennials will do fine. Tomatoes, peppers, etc will do much better with heat mats. I start all my seeds in my basement, with similar temps. But I do use heat mats. I have two, which are just heating pads from the pharmacy, made for people's use (just watch out, you don't want the ones with automatic timed cut off). They are just for germinating. Once the seedling is up and has some true leaves, they can be moved off the heating pads and be fine. At that point, being in a cooler environment toughens them up for going outside later. So that's why I only need heating pads under two trays. I just keep moving things off them and putting new seeds on them.

By doing better, I mean not only germinate two or three times as fast, but germinate more successfully. The problem is if the seeds are sitting around in cold moist soil, waiting to germinate, sometimes they just rot instead.

applestar
Mod

Another informative post:
:arrow: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=105226#105226

Skip to midway down the post where "stockier" seedling growth and growing not seed starting temps are mentioned. 8)

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”