soil
Greener Thumb

seed balls

THG said it would be a good idea to have a seed ball thread, ill make it simple first so everyone can get the idea.

here are a few links to get you up to date on what they are and why.

https://web.archive.org/web/20060413224840/www.seedballs.com/3seedpa.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seed_ball

and a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptIttqU1H8Y

got to run will try and post more later. feel free to add any info you like about seed balls.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Here's the earliest thread I can find, from Fall 2008: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=53693

There's another, longer one around here, attached to a poll (ha ha weak joke). Gotta go find the url....

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=114616

A "Search the Forum" for the phrase "Fukuoka seed balls" yielded 4 results.

A "Search the Forum" for the phrase "seed balls" yielded 75 results.

A "Search the Forum" for the phrase "seed bombs" yielded 13 results.

I'm at a loss as to why anyone would recommend starting a new one; why not read the previous several dozen and add to them???

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

soil
Greener Thumb

it was just suggested, I don't really think its that big of a deal?

thanks for adding the links, I already knew there was a few threads here on seedballs.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

My remark was more aimed at THG and not at you. He should know about these threads; he posted on most of them.... :?

What say, Scott? Putting an innocent forum member in harm's way??? :roll:

Cynthia

brambleoak

I'm happy to see there's a thread on this ..... I didn't think to search for one, being a newbie and all. :oops: Happy to get this info and I'm definitely going to try this method! Thanks for sharing!
soil wrote:THG said it would be a good idea to have a seed ball thread, ill make it simple first so everyone can get the idea.

here are a few links to get you up to date on what they are and why.

https://web.archive.org/web/20060413224840/www.seedballs.com/3seedpa.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seed_ball

and a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptIttqU1H8Y

got to run will try and post more later. feel free to add any info you like about seed balls.

applestar
Mod

No, this is GREAT! Between the two of you, soil and Cynthia, all the references have been organized in here for one stop research and refresher. :wink:

brambleoak

Wondering....

Do you HAVE to use red clay? Can you not just make a really hard "dirt ball" with seeds inside and toss in the spring?

(I'm a seed ball newbie. Won't know unless I ask) :?

soil
Greener Thumb

you don't HAVE to but pure clay works good. I got a 50 lb bag of dry potters clay from a local store for 20$. enough to make a few thousand seedballs.

brambleoak

Wondering where I can get some... I'm way out in the 'sticks'. Hmmm

Maybe I'll try some without and see how it goes.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I am lost on this seed ball thing. I looked it over and have no clue what the application is for except decoration!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Nope not for decoration.... they don't stick around long enough to be very decorative anyway.

Here's from the wiki article that was referenced in the first post:

Seedballs have use in nearly any climate region in which plants can grow, for reseeding ecosystems into areas of man-made-deserts, for avoiding seed eaters, and for protecting seeds until long-duration rains fall to soak the clay ball, stimulating the seeds with the moisture, and washing away some of the clay off the top of the ball. The seeds inside then germinate in the best possible plant establishment conditions available in each climate-region.

So you can throw your seed balls out in fall or early spring, the seeds within are protected and packed in with their own food source. Keeps the seeds from drying out, being eaten, etc.

Also useful for seed bombing... https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21394&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=seed+bombing&start=0

where people throw seed balls onto vacant lots to help green them up...

applestar
Mod

Bobberman! I thought you'd be ALL OVER this idea!!!
Why don't you try it!? You might find it AMAZING!!! :> :wink:

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I'm glad someone posted this as well. I know I could have used the "search bar" but I always forget to check into things like this.

Cynthia, it looks like your post demonstrating the needlessness of this thread contributed to making it a necessity :wink:.

75 results......what's one more :lol:?

Here's a hi-tech version of the seed ball that's being used for [url=https://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/green-science/aerial-reforestation2.htm]aeria reforestation[/url].

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

garden5 wrote:I'm glad someone posted this as well. I know I could have used the "search bar" but I always forget to check into things like this.

Cynthia, it looks like your post demonstrating the needlessness of this thread contributed to making it a necessity :wink:.

75 results......what's one more :lol:?
Always glad to be of assistance. :lol:

Cynthia

soil
Greener Thumb

I just made a seedball machine out of a 5 gallon bucket, some desk wheels and some pvc. time to make millions of seedballs fast now.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

soil wrote:I just made a seedball machine out of a 5 gallon bucket, some desk wheels and some pvc. time to make millions of seedballs fast now.
then what do you do with them all?

soil
Greener Thumb

toss them on our property for wild veggies( the best veggies that is), give them away to others to spread. also will be doing grain seedballs to keep the birds from eating the broadcasted seed.

soil
Greener Thumb

woo hoo gave it a run yesterday and make about 5000 seedballs in 20 minutes. mostly winter wheat, but also kale, broccoli, arugula, bok choy, lettuce, snow peas, and a few other greens.

its so much easier than shaping each one by hand, ill never do that junk again.

ill have to make a drawing of the machine and post it. or get a friend to take a pic on his camera or phone.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I'm waiting, :D where are the drawings? Pictures, we need pictures, dang you. :lol:

Eric

applestar
Mod

Me too. 8)

soil
Greener Thumb

ok ill make a drawing for now, will have to wait for someone with a camera to come over for pics.

soil
Greener Thumb

can I upload photos from my post?

soil
Greener Thumb

anyone know about the photo uploading?

I just had a 5 year old help me make a few thousand seedballs in 10 minutes. no problem.

applestar
Mod

you need to use a photo hosting site like Photobucket.
Webmaster has detailed instructions here :
:arrow: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3724

Thanks! It sounds like I might be able to get my kids to help too.... 8)

soil
Greener Thumb

bleh too lazy to do that. ill just explain it.

materials

a wood base( I used scrap plywood )
a back stop ( I used a 2x4 scrap)
a 5 gallon bucket
youll need some of these wheels ( https://product-image.tradeindia.com/00143615/b/0/Trolley-Wheels.jpg) or anything you can make do the same job.
something to make a crank ( I used scrap pvc pieces )

start with the base, it needs to be a little bigger than the bucket when on its side. from there you need to mount the wheels so each one is leaning outwards. this will keep the bucket from moving all over the place sideways. space them far enough to where the bucket sits on the wheels and spins freely when turned. the front ones should catch on the lip of the bucket, now you need a back to stop the bucket from sliding forwards and backwards, this also holds the crank in place. drill a hole in the center of the bottom of the bucket. set the bucket on the wheels, there should be a lip near the top of the bucket that should catch on the front wheels. from there space the backing 1/2-3/4 inch behind where the bucket sets. drill a hole where the hole in the bucket meets the backing. from there the crank needs to be hooked on good in the hole on the bucket, it needs to go out from the back of the bucket, through the backing hole and out an extra inch, down a few inches and then back out.

from there it is pretty much done.

to use lift the front lip up some so the seeds stay in rather than roll out.

its best to do batches of seeds. like all small seeds, all medium, all big. and then mix them for broadcasting.

to make seedballs

-add seeds and spray until moist with a spray bottle
-add dry powdered compost/clay mix enough to dry them out and coat once
-repeat with the spray and then followed by more clay/compost mix until desired seed coating thickness is achieved.

set to dry and broadcast as needed.

for those who only need the basics and want to make their own.

-bucket spins sideways on wheels
-crank spins bucket

applestar
Mod

Wahh! Eric, I bet you understood all that... Would you draw me a diagram? :oops:

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Sheesh!

I would use a pipe floor flange to connect the crank to bucket.
https://www.fdsons.com/black-iron-fittings-black-floor-flange-c-22_204_206_2558.html

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/1%20DDF%20-%20Helpful%20Gardener%20Misc/Seedballtumbler.jpg[/img]

Soil, Is the bucket level or pitched down like a concrete mixer.

Eric
Last edited by DoubleDogFarm on Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soil
Greener Thumb

yup thats pretty much it, except there are four wheels. two front and two back.

thats what we used to connect it too, except its a small plastic one.

now the only thing that would make it better is if a person could stand in front of it, and spin it themselves. I'm thinking foot power somehow like hooked up to a bike pedal system.

otherwise its best operated by two people.

the front end is pitched up like a cement mixer yes. or all of the seeds would just roll out. you want them all mostly in the back end. this is where they tumble best.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Treadle or go to your favorite second hand store and buy a barbecue rotisserie motor. Low speed and lots of torque.
https://www.tradenote.net/keyword/Rotisserie/?type=products

Eric

applestar
Mod

Great! I just needed a little :wink: visual aid. Thanks! :D

:lol: Re: one person operation, I had a vision of a stationary exer-cycle fittd with a carnival water balloon shooter with mist attachment affixed to the handle bars.... :lol:

soil
Greener Thumb

I was thinking a treadle would be sweet. ill have to see if I have the stuff o make one.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Re: one person operation, I had a vision of a stationary exer-cycle fitted with a carnival water balloon shooter with mist attachment affixed to the handle bars....
You will need a little scooper attached to one of the pedals. As it comes around it scoops a little clay mixture and flings it into the bucket. You will have to pedal backward to make it work :P

Eric

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/1%20DDF%20-%20Helpful%20Gardener%20Misc/Seedballtumbler001.jpg[/img]

You may need to add a weight to the bucket to act like a flywheel.

Eric
Last edited by DoubleDogFarm on Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tilde
Green Thumb

It might be my limited visualization skills but what? I don't get the seedball maker. All I can think is hand rolling ala meatballs.

How does the machine do it?

soil
Greener Thumb

its simple. the seeds tumble constantly in the bucket, little by little you add layer after thin layer of clay/soil to the seeds. so they are covered in soil.

ever seen pelletized grass seed for sale? same thing just with whatever seeds I want.

Tilde
Green Thumb

Oooohh ... Like a Rock tumbler but additive instead of subtractive.

Gotcha, thanks!

soil
Greener Thumb

yea that is a much better way of thinking of it.

this way they get a head start being in there own little soil ball. it holds moisture and has biology. it keeps birds and insects from eating the seed as well.

Tilde
Green Thumb

Well, sure, I get that - like seed cakes I used to make as a kid. Well, mud pies.

I just couldn't wrap my head around the physics of creating seed balls using the properties of mild centrifugal force and increasing stickiness andsurface testion (surface tension? Am I thinking of the right thing?).

soil
Greener Thumb

seed balls doing great, all kinds of things growing with little rain.

wheat
barley
lettuce
kale
broccoli
onion(bunching and bulb)
leek
arugula
bok choy
other greens

still too early to see how the spring germination plants do.

Garden_by_Faith

soil wrote:woo hoo gave it a run yesterday and make about 5000 seedballs in 20 minutes. mostly winter wheat, but also kale, broccoli, arugula, bok choy, lettuce, snow peas, and a few other greens.
I'm still not understanding this method completely. I am mostly interested in vegetable gardening. Does this method work well for veggies? If you were to make seed balls for the above veggies would they just be scattered randomly in your garden bed then? And do you mix different seeds together or keep one type of seed in one ball?

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”