DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

GardenRN,

First, call me Eric. :D Have you posted pictures of your greenhouse project? I'd like to see it.

I purchased 11 storm windows from a consignment shop for $35.00. The front of the greenhouse ( south) has 6 windows and the east / west 2 each. All parts of the walls without glass are insulated. Ridged insulation. What's nice about storm windows is 2 screws and the window comes out of the frame. Its a frame within a frame. Ease of ventilation. Roof is made from sliding glass doors. This is tempered glass. Much safer overhead. :wink:

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Greenhouse%20May%2026%202010/DSC02216.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Greenhouse%20Photos/DSC01957.jpg[/img]

Eric

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

will post some pics this week Eric

I got all of mine for free. They were getting thrown away at a window replacement shop. These were the ones they tore out. But of course, they are all different sizes so it's a little....no, it's a lot of guess and check on my part as to making each wall come together.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

will post some pics this week Eric
Great! looking forward. Now if I could only get lakngulf to post some pics. :lol:

Eric

Chaesman

Love the pics and heaing you can get the glass for free or cheap is nice to know... I do so want a permant structure with in the next 2 years so I guess it is time to start doing some window shopping literally.
Any how The portable that is suppose to arrive next week will have to suffice for the time being while we test the waters and formulate a plan for a permanant structure...

Boy that seems like a lot of glass to keep kleen lol

tinlizzy
Newly Registered

I was wondering about the raised beds you have your seed beds sitting on. Are these filled with top soil or just any type of fill you have around. What type of lumber are you using for the bed frames? We have had a green house for my wife's plants for years. I would like to try and use the floor space to raise winter veggies.
Thanks

wordwiz
Green Thumb

Keep it up guys and gals and maybe soon we will have an "under cover" gardening section. GHs, Hoop houses, Cold Frames, Row covers.

Even though I've only harvested maybe a dozen toms and a head of lettuce from my ghetto GH, I'm glad I built it. No way could I be thinking of starting 4,000 plants inside my house this winter/spring!

Mike

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I was wondering about the raised beds you have your seed beds sitting on. Are these filled with top soil or just any type of fill you have around. What type of lumber are you using for the bed frames? We have had a green house for my wife's plants for years. I would like to try and use the floor space to raise winter veggies.
Thanks
Tin,

The beds initially filled with 50/50 sand and compost. Now they have a little potting mix and peat and...

I'm using Douglas fir, most common found in our lumber yards.

I tried different types of water heat storage and found it not to be much help. So I removed it all and install raised beds.

Eric

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”