jnunez918

froggy wrote:Have any of you tried pop bottle propagators?

I found this when researching ficus cuttings....
[url]https://www.insideurbangreen.org/2008/04/recycled-pop-bo.htm[/url]l

so I followed a few links to here:
[url]https://www.flickr.com/photos/greenscaper/sets/72157604735985648/[/url]

and here's how they are made:
[url]https://www.flickr.com/photos/greenscaper/2519983658/[/url]

they look like a neat idea, only, I don't drink pop more than a few times a year... so I haven't had a chance to experiment with it since I found the instructions...
I tried 16oz water bottles but found it very hard to get the seedling out. I ended up having to cut down the bottles 2-3 not to ruin the root ball. I'll definitely keep 2liters for cloches.

floridahillnursery
Cool Member

Applestar, those paper pots are too cool for school. :D

floridahillnursery
Cool Member

We use recycled containers from plant and t.c. companies for our tomatoes in spring. I really hate throwing them out. :D

[img]https://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o519/floridahillnursery/CIMG1810.jpg[/img]
These are the containers we use to start our vegies in. These are a week old and will be planted in spring (feb 25th) they are all heirloom var. these will be trimmed to vine. We end up giving 1/2 away to close friends.

[img]https://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o519/floridahillnursery/CIMG1809.jpg[/img]
Some better boys we started back in November. These pupies will be full of tomatoes come spring 20-50 tomatoes each and 8' tall trimed to vine. My wife Angela makes some of the best salsa and tomato sauce. I like sitting on our swing and slicing them up with a little salt...
Last edited by floridahillnursery on Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

paper egg cartons . . .

dozen size or 18 - count size.

works well for the 6-8 week crowd - by the end they're falling apart - no need to "extract" the seedling - ala peatpots, bury the whole thing.....

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

FHN,
Very nice! 8)
May I have a wider view of the seedling setup? :D Looks a little like my watering shelf.

Eric

floridahillnursery
Cool Member

Hi Eric, Sure I'll go snap a pict. This is our personal overwintering/seedling greenhouse. BRB

[img]https://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o519/floridahillnursery/CIMG1814.jpg[/img]
150 + or - Heirloom tomatoes. We use Dosatron injectors with overhead irrigation our tray table is 4'. Sterile medium is a must. To the medium we add a Bio-organic full spectrum fertilizer w/beneficial microbes. All nutrients are introduced, this will help curtail any pathogens in what would be the soil. Tomatoes will almost jump out of the ground. :D

Down from that a little further we have grape cuttings rooting out. they seem to like the same enviroment.

Unikorn

wow that is so cool! I am totally going to raid my parents kitchen for soda bottles now for my seedlings :) That green house is awesome.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Ihave probably said it befroe in here. But don't forget asking your local nursery's nicely to get some of their overstocked used pots. I have gotten a ton that way.

Just came home with another 50 pots the other day. I am in constuction so if I am there when the landscapers are there I hit them up as well.

Garden_by_Faith

Silverfish wrote:I know it's been said here somewhere, but newspaper pots are by far the best recyclable pots and cheap/easy to make. I discovered these long ago from step by step instructions of this site:

https://www.bettaliving.org/DIY/Basic_plans/DIY_newspaper_pots.html[/img]
I wish I would have seen this just a day earlier...I just planted a bunch of seeds in newspaper pots. I did mine a little different. I found the idea on pinterest :) You take a tin can and use it to wrap the newspaper around into a cylinder, then you fold the bottom and tap it, then pull the can out. I will try the above link for my next batch of seeds :D

HonoluluGirl

I've been saving the coffe grinds from my Keurig K-cups then using the K-cups to start seeds. The Keurig coffee maker even punches a hole in the bottom of the K-cup when you brew the coffe.

After the coffee is brewed, if I want more holes, I turn the K-cup and punch more holes. I turn it a little, punch a hole, turn it again, and punch another hole and so on until I have enough holes.

applestar
Mod

Do you pull/tear out the little paper filter that is glued in there?

HonoluluGirl

Yes, I pull out the filter paper from the k-cup.

Trisha

the real question is what HAVENT you tried? plastic cups, dixie cups, yes handrolled newspaper (I'm awful clumsy and impatient for those) butter tubs, milk cartons. You name it!

Heres one of my ultimate favs. dishtub from the dollar store. I normally start cuttings in these, but yes some seeds too. These are great cuz you can stack 5+ and drill the drainage holes all at once. zip zip zip DONE!

I'm experimenting with another recyclable idea to keep flats evenly moist. Whatever kind you use! Must admit my hatred for watering, especially inside. But the little guys need it... Have you ever seen those burpee raised self watering flats? I was skeptical myself until one was given to me.
This thing is KICKING BUTT. I filled the tray once, the water lasted over a week and the plants are getting exactly the right amount of EVEN water distribution.

BUT theyre $20 bones online. ouch.

Of course, I immediately started doing research. And came up with a homemade version. Still testing, but it looks like it might just cut the mustard.

Heres another

That's newspaper in there serving as a 'capillary mat' or 'wick' (what CANT you use newspaper for!) Based on this research... https://www.ag.auburn.edu/adm/comm/news/ ... cycled.htm Also suggested, towels, felt, batting... I'm cheering for newspaper because it absorbs any added fertilizer and you can throw it in your garden or the compost bin when youre done.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

All good ideas Trisha. Really like the capillary experiment.

Here is my watering shelf project Feb 2011. Hope to make it two tier by this February.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/v ... hp?t=32523

Eric

applestar
Mod

Cool idea with the self watering trays. What are you using as risers under the newspaper?

Trisha

Double Dog Farm: WOW! That is elaborate AND fantastic!!! That gives me ideas for outdoor watering. Many of our shrubs don't like overhead watering and those 1/4" lines to each pot is TOO much (effort, money, headache!) This looks like a fabulous system. Thanks for sharing it with us!

applestar: I just used 2x4s with a piece of superthick cardboard cut to size. Whatever I had in the garage. Probably would be better off with plywood, but its cold to be cutting anything hahaa. I made a video if you wanna see it.
Last edited by Trisha on Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

pplestar: I just used 2x4s with a piece of superthick cardboard cut to size. Whatever I had in the garage. Probably would be better off with plywood, but its cold to be cutting anything hahaa. I made a video if you wanna see it.
You know we do. :)

Eric

Trisha

hahah great! You guys are quick on this board :D

I went through lot about potting soil, which you guys probably already know but I put one test tray together on camera... Simple simple stuff and it seems to be working. https://youtu.be/_-q15vi4oa8

Tell me if I'm wrong about anything, or if I can do something better (like get a tripod!)

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Trish - great video! Love your inovation. Who knew how simple a wick planter could be. Love it.[quote][/quote]

applestar
Mod

applestar wrote:This isn't a container but I should mention recycling the inside of chip bags for reflective material around, under, and above the seedlings:
:arrow: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/v ... p?p=112334
I was just cutting a few open -- cut off top and bottom seams, then cut down the back either along center of the heat fused seam or along one side.

Here is a photo of the ones I just cut open -- they usually come shiny silver or pearlescent white. Both excellent reflectors.
I use them to line the shelf as well as walls around the plants. I'm also starting to make container soil mulch/cover to reflect light up. many of my plants are starting to suffer from insufficient light in the lower foliage since the canopy blocks all the light.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

That is a good idea. You could also use tinfoil. You might want to prune out some of the upper leaves. It might overall make it healthier.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Trisha -love your video - phone and all. GREAT idea. Will be starting seeds in the next 2 weeks for March transplants. Will incorporate your wick system. Thank you so much. I really am lazy and love ideas such as yours.

Trisha

applestar, love the potato chip bag idea, now THATS recycling!
ElizabethB, glad you liked the video! the newspaper wick is still doing really well, I'm growing more confident this is the way to go. If you make one (hope I'm not too late) use something sturdy to hold your cells. As thick as that cardboard was, I knew it would melt before long, but I thought it would last longer than a week. go for plywood, metal or super thick plastic. Good luck! Keep us updated.

imafan26
Mod

Great ideas.
I also used old styrofoam coolers, if you go to restaurants and fish markets the fish come in styrofoam coolers that make the perfect window boxes. I did the origami pots and made pots with pot maker. They were ok but they were soft and I kept mine too wet so they did not work out to well. I have used egg cartons for seedlings. I have even seen, potted eggshells. I use tofu containers for seed starting, just the right depth for me and the rectangular pots do fit nicely together. I have also used old bleach, vinegar and soy sauce bottles for hanging baskets and the microwavable take out containers also work and come with their own mini greenhouse covers. I have also used styrofoam coffee cups. I don't have much luck with clear containers, the algae grows but not the plants. I have used some of the swiffer containers for seeds and cuttings. I used soda cups as supports for my homemade self watering container, but they did not work as well for seedlings. I have even used old pots, wash basins (from the hospital), and bowls. Clean out the foil roasting pans after a party (keep the best ones to use again), and use that for planting. I tried using old vertical blinds as dividers. I thought it would be easier to take out a slice with less transplant shock, but the seedlings did not come out as easily as I thought it would. I've used yogut cups (safeway kind), and save popsicle sticks and chopsticks when you are done. The popsicle makes good labels with a marking pen and chopsticks a small stake.

applestar
Mod

Fungus Gnat traps --
BASIC IDEA: they are attracted to light -- bright white surfaces seem to work well.

Pint size sour cream tub 1/2 filled with soapy water. I use a dop or two of Rainbow Kids unscented shampoo. The one at the base of a shoplight fixture standing on one end is the most effective one I have.
(This is 2 mornings after being refilled just before lights out at night -- yeah I'm having a bad outbreak right now :x )

I also put squat 4 and 6 oz yogurt cups on the surface of the soil.

But for surface of the soil trap, a better trap can be made of translucent pudding cups slathered with grease. This type of cup seems to gather light and sort of shine out. I use UNpetroleum Jelly. Put some on the inside of the cup too.
(This was a really bad infestation in an 8-in pot after same time period as above -- approx 32 hrs. :twisted: )

Where larger soil/air space is available and/or larger trap is needed, I would consider using qt. size deli container.

They both seem to lose effectiveness after a couple of days, so clean out/off and recharge.

Harvester of sorrow

post deleted
Last edited by Harvester of sorrow on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

imafan26
Mod

I think the plants are growing "pretty" well. Good job. The containers look better with plants in them than in the landfill.

NYGardener
Newly Registered

I have used all of the above-mentioned methods in my basement, under florescent lights for years. This year I have a mischievous kitten that has been digging in my potted house plants, so I'm debating whether I want to give him more plants to destroy. I may rig up a barrier with clear plastic drop cloths around the bench.

applestar
Mod

Seeds started and/or uppotted from 3/4" microblocks in recycled containers.
-- K-cups are working great for tiny slow growing seedlings like celery and celeriac, and slow growing peppers... even basil to save space for a while though they outgrow them fast:
Densely sown Black Cherry tomato seedlings in a K-cup in that bottom picture 8)

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I'm using whatever as well as you know.

I saw something the other day, which I have seen before but it is a great idea. They are big rugged cloth bags. Forget the explanation let me hunt down the site. :wink:

https://www.growerssupply.com/farm/suppl ... 09731.html

Ech

Well I use to use all of those expensive seed starter trays, peat pots, etc. Now though, I just use some compost and egg cartons to start seeds.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

gixxerific wrote:I'm using whatever as well as you know.

I saw something the other day, which I have seen before but it is a great idea. They are big rugged cloth bags. Forget the explanation let me hunt down the site. :wink:

https://www.growerssupply.com/farm/suppl ... 09731.html
I have this one

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004S0 ... UTF8&psc=1

I used it last season and am using it again this season. My one major complaint is that whenever the surface would be dry (which because the water goes out the sides happens more than usual-another complaint) the water would just flow to the side of the pot and go out the sides of the bag. It took me a while to realize why everything was constantly wilted.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I am a little surprised that I haven't shared my idea for seed starting containers on this thread. Seedlings are started communally and then go into individual cells, in trays (48 to 72/tray). The containers have been about 20 years in the testing testing :wink: .

First of all, here is a "lab box" that you can buy for germination and that is used by labs around the world for that purpose:

Now, here is what I use (they come in all sizes):

. (crumbs)

digitS'

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

I don't understand. Do you start them in soil in there or in paper towels or what?

Ech

I use em with dirt as so. And then I just thin the plants out.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Oh ok. I use those for that too.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

That was a "pre" picture, ReptileAddiction. I still hadn't fully prepped that box :wink: but wanted to show you how similar they are to what the labs use for germination. Yes, they probably do not use soil.

I find the lids are of help until there are sprouts, then the seedlings in their soil mix go to a south window for a few days. Then, they go out to my greenhouse.

Just today, the last of the tomatoes were moved out of their cookie boxes and into 4-packs, 48 plants to a tray.

Steve

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Ya I got that :wink:

Sweetcheeks

A few things about myself:
1. I work in a bar. :roll:
2. I am what they call "crafty," and I inherited it from my mother... She's got all the hookups. :cool:
3. I love gardening! :-()

Now, when you put all of these things together, my kitchen tends to look a little like this:
bottles to cut.jpg
Which winds up doing this:
bottle cut.jpg
Which gives me an idea! :idea:

I've cut as close to the bottom as possible on some of the bottles, and made some hangers out of old t-shirts to hang them upside down and use as hanging planters!
My collection of bottles has grown a bit, so I've got way more wine and liquor bottles and stopped toting home the beer bottles (much to my boyfriend's relief!) O:)

I've got some Alexandria Alpine Strawberry seedlings going right now, and thought about putting one in each beer bottle and putting some various herbs in the larger wine bottles. I thought about how I'd get the plant out of the bottle without tearing up the root system, and came up with lining the inside with cheesecloth and then filling it up with my potting mix so I'd just have to pull on the cheesecloth and pop it all right out.

Think any of this will work in my favor?

Sweetcheeks

So sorry... I totally didn't realize I was posting in the seed starting forum! Thought I was over in the containers... :oops: I'll redirect my questions there!

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”