IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

Retracting my previous preference

I am retracting my previous preference in seed starting. I did an experiment to see what produced better results on germination all the way through sell-able plants.

Hands down the better method is direct sow over the baggie method.

Yes you get to see the germination happen every time you go out and check, but I have had a larger success % in direct sow seeds (6 per 48 flat seedling tray) than the % on baggies. Not to mention the PITA it is to arrange the seeds, spraying the seeds, picking the seeds out of the coffee filter, Planting the sprouts hoping they will not damp off, and on and on and on.

The hardest part was keeping the soil moist until the seedlings peaked their leaves out from under the soil. But Not a big problem for my over watering personality :-()

Just thought you all should know

webmaster
Site Admin

Have a link to the previous post?

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

Not any one particular post, just me advocating for coffee filter and plastic baggie method in the past. My experiment was unmentioned till just now

applestar
Mod

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I think trying new things and learning is great. My own risk-averse nature isn't such a wonderful thing. I was born skeptical, or made the change soon after birth. I think it was when my father picked me up and dropped me on my head. "Get rid of him, Mom!"

Enthusiasm is just about the most important "ingredient" in life. Some folks, even those who post on forums . . . you wonder how they just managed to get around. I mean, there's seldom a good "reason" to have an interest in something. The reason grows with the experience and it develops more reasons.

So often, we find posters who are sold on this or that and you'd think they have discovered a new way to slice bread. Then, they are gone. You gotta wonder if they came up against a wall of failure and just turned tail and made for the exit. It is really great to see "I think I've got it!" "Wait. Let me try that again!" Gosh, it is like being right there and enjoying the whole process. Thanks for sharing!

Steve

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Agree, really appreciate the post and the willingness to try new things and report on the results -- successes AND failures/problems. That is the basis of the scientific method and it seems to be getting lost these days.

Yeah, it always did seem to me that the part about what you do AFTER they germinate would be a PIT patootie. Have to watch them constantly for germination and then get them planted immediately. For someone who plants hundreds of seeds (really, like maybe closing in on a thousand), not something I would want to get in to.

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:Yeah, it always did seem to me that the part about what you do AFTER they germinate would be a PIT patootie. Have to watch them constantly for germination and then get them planted immediately. For someone who plants hundreds of seeds (really, like maybe closing in on a thousand), not something I would want to get in to.
Exactly why I did my experiment because it was a HUGE time waster to individuality pick out each germinated seedling and plant it in its own pot. WAY EASIER to just plant 6 in each cell, and break them up when you don't have to be so careful with them. I wait until the group gets their first leaves, take them out of the cell, dip the soil in a bucket of water and swish. This will give you roots with no dirt, and if they are knotted with each other just dip and swish while you pull apart.

I think I have some pepper plants that are about ready to split up. I will make a video of that process this weekend.
This is the one I remember:
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 48&t=50255
That was me just trying the process out. There were others that I recommended the baggie over Direct Seed... NOT NO MORE!!!

Cola82
Green Thumb

Even though this is my first ever vegetable garden/starting from seeds, I tried different things with similar plants, too. I've found I don't like seed starting in egg cartons, for instance. Almost all of those seedlings perished because they were very difficult to water. But I had other seedlings of the same kind in different kinds of containers.

I think the experimentation has been almost as fun as watching the plants grow. You can certainly tell someone how to grow plants, but they need to see for themselves why certain methods work better, I think, by making at least a few of their own mistakes.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

>>egg cartons

they need to be in a "tray" - you poke a hole in each egg cell - water from the bottom....

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”