PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

How to Make Cilantro and Cumin to Sprout?

It has been a month to the day and both Culantro (not cilantro) and Cumin have not sprouted. I used soil-less seed starting mix, buried some seeds lightly as well as sprinkled some just on top (since some herb seeds sprout this way) and kept them watered and nothing. I really really want to grow Culantro this year don't care too much about the Cumin. Anyone know a special technique? Do they take a long time to germinate?
Thanks in advance :)

applestar
Mod

I'm getting ready to try to start cumin. I think the seed packet said to sow while soil is cool. I think it's in the carrot family. I'll go look at my notes.

Never tried culantro, but cIlantro is super easy but won't sprout in hot weather. Culantro is usually described as more het tolerant hotter area's alternative so may be different....

I'm back. My note says:
Cumin -- 4-6 wks before last avg frost. no light necessary. 1/4" deep at 70° ...expect as low as only 10% germination... 7-14 days. Carrot family -- taproot -- use 2" soil blocks. Maybe use a weighted plastic wrap on top (piece of 2x4?). DTM 110 days

It also says "DS if possible" but it wouldn't be, for me.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Sorry, read through the thread too quickly. Cilantro related post removed.
Last edited by hendi_alex on Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

applestar
Mod

Alex, OP is asking about c-U-lantro, but just a quick comment more about c-I-lantro seeds -- they float. So they might have washed away if they were not scratched/raked into the ground.

Maybe culantro is worth trying in your warmer/hotter garden too?

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Didn't realize Cumin has a poor germination rate. Two seasons ago I started some and most sprouted but they got dried out because I didn't check on them. I started to think though, if I am to get a sizable amount of seeds to grind into spice I'd need a bunch of plants not just one. So I may just skip the Cumin. There is a Puerto Rican member here that I may message about the Culantro since it is popular in their cuisine/country.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”