The Helpful Gardener
Mod

The Culture Of Food

Raw foodists will be dissappointed to find that Sensei has not completely eschewed cooking or prep, but he does take a line on doing so simply for flavors sake. Pickling by any number of methods is readily embraced as long as it preserves natural flavor. Again instinct is to replace ration in percieving color and flavor. So it would follow our culture of crops must likewise abandon science for more feral sensibilities...

Thoughts?

HG

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Not one?

I have been very satisfied with my MUCH wilder garden this year. I didn't do much in the way of gardening (due to circumstances beyond my control), yet my garden fended for itself admirably. Tomatoes tumbled and the peppers grew with abndon amongst the chard and kale, and we ate pretty well with little effort. We have not ever had this many maters out of this garden; not more plants, just more plant (no pruning). I am learning what will do for itself and finding that many of them do better than if I care for them...

HG

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I have been absent from too much of this discussion b/c, on almost the very day it began, Vergil went down (total paralysis) with what turned out to be an adult manifestation of Wobbler's Syndrome (look it up; I simply don't have the heart to find more url's on it any more :().

I have been 24/7 now, with the exception of a week in late July/early August when I got to sleep upstairs and in my own bed, care-giving. Lifting him, getting him outside safely, turning him, etc. After the spinal surgery, even more intense.

I haven't read anything that takes longer than the 15 minutes I'm going to sleep at night, knowing that I may only get to sleep for 1 hour, if that, before he needs help again.

So that's the reason for my weird silence on this entire discussion, after such dissertations going into it.

I *am* growing cabbage in the fall/early winter garden so that I can try making my own sauerkraut. Maybe then I'll be able to contribute something about Real Food.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

and pretty bone-tired...

Return to “One Straw Revolution - Masanobu Fukuoka”