The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Simply Serve Nature And All Is Well

In keeping with the questions I find in the previous chapter, F-san points the way...
Agriculture must change from large mechanical operations to small farms attached only to life itself. Material life and diet should be given a simple place. If this is done, work bcomes pleasant, and spiritual breathing space becomes plentiful.
That doesn't sound so bad. It sounds pretty good, actually. Really good if you think on it for a while. We live in times changing so fast it is often beyond comprehension. Our moral compasses spin, swirled in eddies of modern life and ancient thinking, ideas we often do not see fitting the world we now live in. Returning to simpler times doesn't sound bad to many of us, but returning to old thinking that has led us to this point is not attractive.

Perhaps the simplicity of nature and natural farming is an answer many of us can live with...

HG

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes. This seems to me the central chapter of the book, what it is all really about. All the stuff about when to plant rice and barley is really in the service of finding a simple spiritual way to live, in harmony with the natural world, mindful, joyful, and doing no harm.

muland

I agree Rainbow. The techniques are secondary...an example pointing to what he saw that morning in Yokohama. The way he discribes it, he was dancing with joy. Originally we lived in a wonderland. Not to say there were not challenges or dangers, but there was joy. Frankly, I see little joy now even with all the modern conveniences.

Return to “One Straw Revolution - Masanobu Fukuoka”