The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Perhaps we might delay the start of the next section a week?

I would be interested to hear thoughts from everyone on that idea... I think there is plenty to discuss in the sections we have covered already (I'd think weeks of discussion would be conservative...).

Cynthia, thanks for the scouting report; I 'd agree it's less than heartening, but at least it's in the system (although not as pleased to hear it's under Lappe, Francis Moore, :roll: ) And they call themselves booksellers...

Dixana
Greener Thumb

I found ONE at a Barnes and Noble 45 minutes away :( I'm going to hold out a few more days before going to get it/calling to see if they still have it. No answer from Amazon as to WHY I have no book yet. When ordered it did not say it was out of stock or backordered...

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Amazon sent me an email saying my copy would not arrive until 8/16, but then it arrived unannounced today.... there's hope!

sweet thunder

I'm in, too, but also a tiny bit late.

I had hoped to begin the book on my vacation, but it didn't arrive in time. I got home last night and my book was here, so I'm ready to start reading!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Glad to hear books are arriving. Any other feedback here? I do not wish to leave folks too far behind, so have scheduled a slightly slower start anyway. But I would love to discuss the next three 'chapters" Friday night...

Speak now... who else is getting stuck in late?

HG

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Today's scouting foray: Black Oak Books in its new location, foot of Carleton @ San Pablo Avenue in Berkeley.

No new copies, no used copies. *sigh*

Although I am loathe to use Amazon (for many reasons), I may have to if I can't find a copy in Davis tomorrow. (Going to Davis for other reasons, but will also look in bookstores.)

Cynthia

muland

I'm so happy to hear that Black Oak Books is still in business, although at a new location.

muland

Darn. Cody's would have had it for sure. :(

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

muland wrote:Darn. Cody's would have had it for sure. :(
Agreed. *sigh*

Cynthia

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Scouting foray #3: Avid Reader, Davis, California ( https://www.avidreaderbooks.com/ ) knows what's what. :D Anyone near Davis--by which I mean within an 80- or so mile radius--hie thyself hither and purchase a copy of the book from them. Call first; I know not how many copies they have.

But their service is nonpareil. The clerk saw me reading the Gardening shelves. He asked whether I was looking for a specific book, and I said yes... He said, "Oh, we have that one in Nature; let me get it for you." And he brought it to me and placed it in my hands! :D

I tried, really tried, to purchase an additional book or two, but the two that looked most promising--ones with titles like "Small Spaces, Bounteous Yield" or something like that, and "How to Preserve the Harvest: New Recipes for Traditional Vegetables" or something similar--were complete busts.

The "Small Spaces" book considers a 20' x 20' garden to be small! :shock: God only knows what the author would think of my 96 square feet, cobbled together here and there from 4'x4' raised beds, random patches, and containers. And the "New Recipes"? What a bunch of...ah...old recipes. If you have canning, pickling, dehydrating, or other preservation instructions you like, use 'em and leave this book where it belongs: on the shelf, gathering dust.

So now I can dispense with worrying about the library's reserved copy of TOSR and read mine own. Maybe tomorrow (if no paying work shows up in my email), I'll have something coherent to say....

Cynthia

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Coherance is so overrated. Look at what I've been able to do without hardly any at all...

But your right, it will be a nice change...

:P

:lol:

Thanks for all the scouting, Cyn. And good job retaining your copy...

HG

Dixana
Greener Thumb

IT CAME IT CAME IT CAME!!!!!!!!!!
:D :D :D :D

gershon

I'm about a year late, but the book is available for free online here: https://gyanpedia.in/tft/Resources/books/onestraw.pdf

I'm reading another book of his: The Theory and Practice of Green Philosophy.

Return to “One Straw Revolution - Masanobu Fukuoka”