pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Malaysian Pineapple Pickle

I made something today to have with the leftovers from that chole masala. While not really a pickle, I guess they called it this, due to the sugar and salt preserving it. Based on a recipe from Cradle Of Flavor, by James Oseland, with some tweaks. It is a favorite side dish of mine to serve with SE Asian dishes and Indian dishes, and to just eat on its own.

This is for about 2½ lbs of large pineapple cubes.

​2 thin 1" stick of cinnamon
​8 whole cloves
​4 whole cardamom pods
2 small whole star anise
3 medium shallots, sliced
4 medium (or 2 large) cloves garlic, sliced
2" ginger, peeled, and cut into matchsticks
3 tb palm sugar
3/4 tsp salt
4 tb water
Peppers - original was 3 fresnos, but here I used 4 Thai peppers, plus a large red habanero, slit. Next time I'll use a hot habanero, and two Aji Dulce, as that sweet habanero flavor is great with the pineapple, but all habanero would be too hot! Just slitting the peppers made this quite hot.
ImageIngredients for Malaysian pickles - spices, garlic, shallots, ginger, peppers, and palm sugar. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageSpices followed by the garlic, shallots, and ginger, cooked a few minutes, and adding the sugar, salt, and water. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageThe pineapple and slit peppers added, before covering, and cooking several minutes. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageHalf cooked pineapple, stirred once, after 3 minutes. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageFinished pickle, after uncovering, and boiling down the water to a syrup. by pepperhead212, on Flickr
After this, I let them cool down, then serve at room temp. Keeps well in the fridge.

imafan26
Mod

Looks interesting and different. I really don't like the low acid pineapple, but this recipe should spice things up a bit.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”