imafan26
Mod

Coming Up with ideas to use what I already have.

I have a problem. I like stuff. I have loaded up my pantry, frig and freezers to the point of no return. I gotta use stuff up.

Today, I finished up the remainder of my Chicken tetrazzini, So, it is time to see what I got to work with.
I have a partial container of Greek Yogurt, so I started from there. I bought some round steaks a couple of weeks ago, I have egg noodles, and the sprouting onions need to be used. So, I made sauerbraten with egg noodles today.
The steak is really tough, so I tenderized it first in oil, soy sauce, lemon juice, truvia to balance the sourness of the lemon, Worcestershire sauce, Sherry, and about a couple of pinches of baking soda, and a couple of teaspoons of garlic powder. Marinated the sliced beef with the marinade for a couple of hours. It would have been better overnight, but I did not plan that far ahead. The recipe calls for butter and minced garlic but I left the butter out and just used oil and used the garlic powder instead. I fried the marinated beef until it was almost done, added the thinly sliced onion, I don't have fresh mushrooms, so I used 2 cans of mushrooms instead. Instead of the beef broth, I used herb ox beef bouillon which is salt free. Instead of salt I used Mrs. Dash garlic and herb seasoning. I added more truvia because the acidity from the lemon was still very strong and a little more sherry. Added some water and braised the meat and onions for about 8 minutes. Turned off the heat and added in the rest of the Greek Yogurt and cooked noodles. It wasn't bad. A bit tangy from the acidity of the yogurt and lemon. but ketchup fixes everything. I will probably be eating this for the next couple of days. Then I will have to figure out what I am going to do next. I still have the chalupa in the frig as well. I did buy some bread and sweetbread, I am eating the sweetbread for snacks with butter, jelly or peanut butter.

I have some bush beans in the garden that may be just about ready to pick. I can have that as a side with the sauerbraten. I still have 3 cucumbers in the frig and tomatoes in the yard I can have as sides.

I have to start thinking about how I am going to use cilantro. Some of the cilantro in the garden is almost getting big enough to pick a few leaves.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Do you make rolled noodles, Imafan?

I find them a bit tedious to cook but they are simple. Recently, I had cooked cilantro, green onion and ground beef filling for rolled noodles. A sprinkle of Magi sauce at the table and I'm content.

Over the weekend, it was beef and barley soup with cilantro, shallots and carrots.

There's tofu in the fridge. Marinade with about 3 ingredients for the tofu and adding cilantro while cooking because ... I'm a fan of cilantro.

;) Steve

imafan26
Mod

Great ideas. Usually when I have cilantro I can only think to put it in salsa or oxtail soup. I don't make oxtail soup. But there may be other soups I can add it to.
My nephew uses the cilatro to make pasteles.

Someone gave me a new recipe last year for lime cilantro rice. That was good
I tried lime cilantro chicken. It was o.k. but not a flavor I am used to.

Noodles are a great idea! I may be able to use cilantro in somen salad. I found a recipe for Mexican noodles with cilantro.

Soups are a good idea. I don't usually add toppings to soup. I have to look up some recipes for that

Maybe I can use it as a topping for baked potatoes sour cream, salsa and cilantro?

I like tofu steaks and I can use cilantro as a topping or make Ban Mi sandwich, although that is more work.

Maybe as a salad herb? I have to look up some of those recipes too.

Today, I am contemplating the next thing to make for dinner for the next few days.
These are what I came up with
BBQ baked beans with pigs in a blanket
I can use the beans to top baked potatoes for something different
sausage and peppers ( I have one pepper left to use and I have everything else for the recipe)
Spaghetti with meatballs. I have the sauce, pasta, and ingredients to make my own meatballs. I also have zoodles in the freezer I need to use.
chicken and rice casserole I have frozen mixed vegetables. I have cauliflower rice if I want to substitute for the rice. (maybe not), I don't have chicken, but I have canned chicken that may work.
Braised pork and taro I have Bun Long taro to harvest ( hopefully it is still good). I will have to get either the belly pork or spareribs. I think I have most of the spices I would have to look at the recipe again. I don't have fermented bean curd.

I have araimo that I need to harvest. NIshime? I have some of the ingredients except I may not have the konbu, bamboo shoots, konyyaku ( I can leave it out), gobo (optional). I have carrots, and shitake mushrooms and the seasonings

Stir fry bok choy, or chard, komatsuna, or beans for a side dish for ? Well I could always throw any or all of these things into a stir fry, saimin, or fried noodles.

imafan26
Mod

I just finished the orchid show and I have leftovers. I have a couple of pieces of cabbage and carrots, so I was going to make cabbage soup. However, I don't like cabbage soup, at least I don't like the recipe I have. So, I thought I would add some ham for flavor.

Well, as per my usual, the first thing that fell out was some smoked turkey wings instead of the ham. So, I changed my mind and decided to make Portuguese bean soup. This is definitely a shortcut method. Usually it takes two days to make it. I went looking for the Portuguese sausage but the first thing that fell out was a hillshire farm smoked sausage. Not what I wanted, but this is now going to be a mock Portuguese bean soup. The ham and Portuguese sausage are still hiding in the freezer.

I made a stock with the smoked turkey wings, water, and ham soup base (3 packets).
I added 2 packets of saizon
1 chopped onion
4 stalks celery, chopped
Simmered for an hour.
Meanwhile I sliced the smoked sausage into coins, fried them and patted the oil off with a paper towel.
After an hour, I removed the smoked turkey wings
Added the cooked smoked sausage
4 potatoes, cut into 1 inch pieces
5 carrots cut into 1 inch chunks
1 can tomato sauce ( usually you would use crushed tomatoes for Portuguese soup. I already had too much liquid).
3 packets of truvia to cut the acidity of the tomato sauce
1 can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed. ( My dad would use dry beans and more of it) It could have used more beans, but my pot was full and I don't like beans that much.
Chopped the cabbage into chunks and par boiled it, then drained.
My dad always did this because the cabbage can make the soup taste sour.
pepper to taste. I like a lot of pepper
I added Tony Chacheres cajun seasoning (no salt version). Usually I would use hot Portuguese sausage, so I had to add some spice to make up for it.
Simmered another 45 minutes until the vegetables were cooked but not mush.

cooking time 2 1/2 hours
Total time with prep 3 hours
Normal prep time for traditional Portuguese Bean Soup ( 3 days) First day to make the stock with smoked ham hocks, and soak a pound of kidney beans overnight. The rest of the vegetables are added the second day. You eat the soup on the third day after the flavors have time to blend.

This came out pretty good. Still a little sour for my taste. I will add more sugar. The sausage is definitely not the same as Portuguese sausage, very much milder, but it is o.k. The hot Portuguese sausage would have made it so much better. I did not thicken the soup, but it's fine. The usual way to thicken the soup is to put some finely diced carrots, potatoes, and celery in with the hock when making the stock and then blending the soup when the hock is removed.
Attachments
Mock Portuguese Bean Soup
Mock Portuguese Bean Soup

imafan26
Mod

It's the next day. The soup has blended and it isn't sour anymore. I did not have to add anything.

I brought some cilantro to the garden today.

I still have more. I am going to try Steve's suggestion and do something with tofu and cilantro next.

imafan26
Mod

I wanted to do something special for Easter. I would love to have a roast, but I would have eat it for a week. Yesterday I got a plate lunch so I would not have to cook for a couple of days. I got some rice cake and char siu baozi as well. The owner gave me a bonus lilikoi and custard baozi. That takes care of food for today.

I gave my sister cilantro, eggplant, cabbage, and snow peas. Now, I won't have to deal with them this week. I have plenty of leftovers for a few days.

She gave me pastele stew. It is only for one meal, so not so bad.

It doesn't solve my Easter supper, though. I decided to make something simple that I haven't had in a long time.

I decided to make mushroom pork chops.

I did have to buy the bone in pork chops. I haven't bought bone in thin pork chops in years.

Mushroom Porkchops
5 thin bone in pork chops
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 medium onion, sliced in half rings
1 soup can of water ( milk would have made it richer)
Mrs. Dash
Pepper
Garlic powder
1 can mushroom stems and pieces,drained ( I was going to use fresh
mushrooms, but I forgot to put it in.)

Season pork chops with Mrs. Dash, and pepper. Pan fry the pork chops until browned and then transfer to 1.5 qt casserole.
After all the pork chops are cooked. Add the onions and saute until caramelized. Add to casserole.
Add garlic powder about 2 teaspoons
Add in the mushroom soup and 1 can of water or milk
Add in the canned mushrooms
Cover the caserole.
I microwaved my casserole for 30 minutes. It can also be baked in the oven.
This is a lower salt recipe. If you want more salt replace Mrs Dash and garlic powder with garlic salt.

I served mine over rice. Makes 5 servings.

Happy Easter.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”