imafan26
Mod

What is on the menu for Thanksgiving?

I have had 3 potlucks within 7 days. One was a Thanksgiving feast at our orchid club.
I have at least 3 more potlucks between now and Christmas and I still have to decide what I am making for Thanksgiving.

The only thing I am certain of is that I am going to do a roast chicken with gravy and stuffing (haven't figured out the recipe for that one). I do chicken instead of turkey because I can't finish it and years ago I decided that chicken or a Cornish hen was the right size and it is more tender and juicy than a turkey anyway.

However, there are so many choices for sides and desserts. I need some help. I am willing to try something different, but I need some ideas and some good recipes. And because I have to bring stuff to pot lucks, I need some ideas that will be good for pot luck too.

applestar
Mod

There’s a dressing/side dish that I’ve always liked: Redd Cabbage and chestnuts. My mom used to make it based on a recipe she was given from someone.

I don’t know if I have the original. I haven’t made it in years because one of my DD’s doesn’t like anything vinegary. (But she might try it now that she’s older. Also I can use milder vinegar or use only a little bit, or maybe use lemon or other citrus juice….)

Anyway, for fun, I was thinking about how this European recipe could be adapted to be more Hawaiian… bear with me, this is my, maybe stereotypical, concept of Hawaiian-style —

Substitute
* Red napa cabbage for Red cabbage + daikon for extra texture
* Dasheen (is that the right name? Maybe Araimo?) for chestnuts
* Pineapples for apples
* SPAM for bacon

…for reference I found a recipe that looks pretty close —
Braised Red Cabbage with Chestnuts Recipe

imafan26
Mod

Dasheen is another name for araimo. Sounds ineresting. I have not made a cabbage side dish before so it will be a novel idea. It is also not normally a side dish for most local pot lucks so it will be different. Spam or bacon is a winner. I have apples in my frig so I may stick with the apples unless I can find some chayote, It holds up better than apples when cooked. Regular chestnuts are not that common here, but I think pecans or macadamia nuts would also work because it is crunchy. Dasheen or potato would work. Potatoes would probably hold up better. Dasheen gets mushy if it is cooked too long. Potatoes are not in the recipe, but it may help to cut some of the vinegar. This dish is good because it doesn't really have a lot of ingredients and it seems to be quick and simple to make. I like that a lot.

I might make pineapple kanten if I can find the agar agar. I could only find the powder, not the sticks. I have only made it with kanten sticks, so it would be the first time using powder. It is a an easy and light desert or appetizer. It is also vegan and at some of the potlucks there will be vegans. I can substitute turbonado or palm sugar for cane sugar. I found out I can't use honey and it took awhile for me to figure out it is because it is an animal by product.

imafan26
Mod

I think I found an alternative to the classic green bean casserole. Green beans almondine. This recipe is vegan, I can actually cut the salt in the recipe but others can add to theirs. And I am harvesting Provider beans from the garden now. It is a simple recipe with not a lot of ingredients. I may not use all of these recipes in one meal, but I have multiple potlucks so I can bring something different. I will need alternatives to the salty foods or I will have a problem with salt overload.
https://www.loveandlemons.com/green-beans-almondine/

imafan26
Mod

I am narrowing down my Thanksgiving menu for me. it is only going to be me and my cats so I am making it as simple as I can. I am also doing as much as I can ahead of time, because I just can't stand that long in the kitchen.

For the other Christmas potlucks coming up. I am still looking at options.
I checked out the cabbage recipe Applestar suggested. I haven't seen any chestnuts except water chestnuts. But I am keeping it on the list because it is different and maybe more Christmas stuff will come in later.

My Thanksgiving menu
Costco rotisserie chicken.
roasted root vegetables
gravy
fish
dressing/stuffing
banana bread or brownies with ice cream

The banana bread and brownies are already in the freezer. I just have to get ice cream, or not. I usually don't eat this much, and I don't usually have dessert so I may not need the ice cream. I also don't have room in the freezer either.

I have everything to make the gravy

I got the sage sausage today and I have rolls in the frig so I am going to make my own croutons and dressing and I can freeze it until I need it later.

Roasted root vegetables. I have potatoes, carrots, sweet potatoes, onions, garlic, rosemary, bell pepper and mushrooms. and it is easy to put together and roast off.

I may get the rotisserie chicken from Costco on Monday or Tuesday and freeze it until I need it. It will still have left overs.

I have to see what kind of fish I can find. This is optional, the chicken may be enough.

I have 4 potlucks scheduled in December and January and 3 parties at restaurants. I may have a couple of more that are pending. I have to pace myself and try to make things I can eat without getting into trouble with salt overload.

webmaster
Site Admin

I'm butterflying a turkey and cooking it on a half sheet. But first I'm dry brining it for 48 hours. The turkey I bought has zero liquid injections, all natural.

Last year's turkey was the best I've ever eaten. Even the white meat was juicy and delicious on its own before putting any gravy on it.

imafan26
Mod

Sounds good. I haven't cooked even a chicken for years because it is just more convenient and cheaper for me to get a Costco chicken. I have gotten parts for other dishes, but even that is rare. If I get around to actually cooking a chicken from scratch, I'll think about brining it first. I know it adds flavor and keeps it juicy.

Today I made the stuffing for Thanksgiving. I was just planning on an 8x8 pan, but it ended up being in a 2 quart casserole, so I have to find more room in the freezer now.

I got JD sage sausage and turkey seasoning. It turns out except for the savory, it looked a lot like poultry seasoning and I would probably could have done that instead and it would have been cheaper too. Lesson learned. I made croutons out of rolls I bought a week ago. I cubed and mixed the bread with some melted butter and toasted them in a pan. It wasn't enough bread for the amount of sausage so I added 4 slices of keto bread that was even older. I started out with 4 slices of diced low sodium bacon for the oil and to add flavor. I browned the sausage after toasting and removing the bread to a bowl. Took the sausage out after it was browned and sauteed the vegetables: onion, garlic, celery, bell pepper ( I had one in the refrigerator I had to use). I seasoned with the turkey seasoning, Mrs Dash garlic and herb blend, no salt, sazon, garlic powder, and sazon. Instead of chicken broth, I used a low sodium bouillon which also has Mediterranean herbs and water. Put everything back together and simmered it for a few minutes. I tasted it. I could taste the no salt and herbs but it was still missing something so I added more of the herb seasoning and pepper. It still lacked something so I added about 1/4 cup of ketchup. That was what it needed the tang from the vinegar and tomatoes in the ketchup (and the salt), elevated the flavors. There is still salt in this dish from the low sodium bacon, sausage, bread, celery, sazon, and ketchup, but it is less than a traditional recipe and will probably be o.k. as a side dish. I will portion this out and freeze it for Thanksgiving and there will be more for later.

P.S. I went to Walmart after my bonsai club meeting and got the potatoes and other stuff. They had 8 inch pumpkin pies marked down to $2.88, dessert is solved. I am having it early. The whole pie costs less than a 15 oz can of pumpkin. It really is cheaper to buy some things than make it.

imafan26
Mod

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I finished the sweets I'm taking to my friend's house tomorrow. A small pan of brownies, so we won't be having withdrawal, and two deserts, than have been some favorites of mine, and others I have fixed them for. The sweet potato pie is almost the same as an old favorite pumpkin pie, with has a quarter cup of cognac in it, and after discovering it in Gourmet Magazine (that tells you how long ago that was!) was one I had to make for various holiday dinners. But that was until I found the Butterscotch pumpkin pie, in bon appétit magazine. That might be a Christmas dessert. The cheesecake is a peanut butter cheesecake with a brownie crust. I'm lucky I don't make this for myself all the time!

ImageA small batch of brownies, so we won't be without chocolate! by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageThe Reese's Cup cheesecake, made with 12 oz of creamy peanut butter, and a brownie crust. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageA sweet potato pie, with some cognac, and some newly fermented crema, instead of the heavy cream. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

imafan26
Mod

Wow! They look scrumptious. I know what you mean I used to bake more often, but I don't do that much baking anymore because I would eat it all too.

I decided my menu was still too much and I have leftovers in the frig as well, so I have decided to spread my Thanksgiving meal over the course of a few days instead. I am going to make the gravy, but I got some swiss chard yesterday, so I am going to cook the swiss chard and save the roasted vegetables for another day. I am making rice (it was not on the original menu) because I need something that is filling without added salt. I have leftover scampi and bulgogi. Both very salty but I will work it in over the next few days. I did thaw out one of the stuffing portions for today. I started eating the pumpkin pie on Monday and I still have a few pieces of that left as well.

applestar
Mod

Hope everybody had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

We spent the day with hubby’s family. BIL did most of the cooking and made a deliciously tender turkey by “cramming sticks of butter under the skin” accompanied by baked potatoes, roasted cream potatoes, peas and corn, etc. etc.

We have many birthdays in the family this month, so dessert was the usual for a family birthday — store bought ice cream cake. This time with marshmallow flower frosting.

We had the chance to visit with MIL whom we hadn’t seen in a while — watched movies, played with the dogs including nephew’s — she’s turned into a sleek spoiled velvety princess.

Lots of fun and good memories.

… Today, I baked a carrot cake/bread with chopped dried prunes and apricots, sunflower seeds, a little flying dragon juice which I think is the reason these have been fluffy soft and exploding/splitting at the top in reaction with the baking powder ….

Taking a break to figure out how I want to make the frosting — I want do a base coat of sour cream + confectioner’s sugar, with decoration made with purple sweet potato Mont Blanc cream made with coconut cream….

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

NO more turkey. 72 years of turkey is enough. We have, cherry pie, pumpkin pie, chocolate turtles, ice cream, whip cream, & pizza. Spiral cut ham was terrible we gave it to the dog & cat they both had a very good Thanksgiving. No more spiral ham either. Buy a good ham next time. We are having fun snacking on all this stuff. Sweet potato casserole was good. Stuffing was especially good. I have to do blood work Tuesday this is not good for my cholesterol. The last piece of cherry pie is gone, I ate it.
Attachments
Turtles.jpg
101_8156.JPG

imafan26
Mod

It looks like you all got filled up for Thanksgiving. Lots of dessert. I am still having my slow Thanksgiving. Finished the last of the pumpkin pie today. I still have chicken left, scampi, and bulgogi, but I will run out of cooked rice today. I still have to make the roasted vegetables. I might do that tomorrow. I still have banana bread and brownies in the freezer. So, my Thanksgiving feast will continue for a few days more. I also have apples, grapes, and mushrooms. I have to figure out what I am going to do with those.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”