Gary350
Super Green Thumb

German Food.

We found this item at Aldi's in the frozen food. It turned out to be amazing good. Germans get creative with food, they eat the same food we do, they just add a few extra items to make it better. The only vegetable on the list I can grow is, carrots, tomatoes, basil, parsley, garlic, thyme. The list says tomatoes 3 times, I don't see or taste tomatoes.
Attachments
101_8121.JPG
101_8119.JPG
101_8122.JPG
101_8120.JPG
Last edited by Gary350 on Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:19 am, edited 3 times in total.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Looking at those ingredients, it looks like something I would try to make, in the season when I would be getting most of those things!

One of my favorite German vegetables is something that I discovered at a friend's house, where his German Mom cooked some kohlrabi - which I didn't even know at the time, and his Dad took me out and showed me how to grow them! This was back in the late 70s, and they stuck in my mind, until I was in this house, and started growing things. In the mid 80s I started seeing them in Asian markets, and now they're in supermarkets, as well. The original recipe I got at my friend's house was simply some braised cubes, in butter and some homemade beef broth, and was absolutely delicious - like a mild turnip or rutabaga, with a slight broccoli stem flavor. That reminds me, I was going to try to grow some of them in the hydroponics! It only takes 40-42 days, and one variety - kolibri - is relatively small up top, yet gets good sized, but never woody.

applestar
Mod

Fancy cabbage, fancy broccoli— I love that they list everything in the ingredients. Raisins was a surprise, and the honey at the end, and cinnamon plus spearmint. Copied to use as reference in the future. :>

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

It surprised me that they listed everything in the ingredients, until I saw that it was made in France. That's probably a requirement there!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I have to be very selective about pulling and eating a radish. They need to have just formed a bulb and be tender and sweet or a stomach upset is likely. I don't really like the flavor of turnips. Kohlrabi is a different story – I can happily and safely eat one. Savoy cabbage is a favorite.

It looks from the picture that the "romanesco cabbage" is romanesco broccoli. Do you know if that is an alternative name?

Steve

applestar
Mod

I assumed it was just a translation issue — something like ‘romanesco type in cabbage family’… but I could be wrong.

imafan26
Mod

Sounds really good.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”