Gary350
Super Green Thumb

How much Salt do you put in Rice ?

The Vietnam lady I know said, put salt in rice.
Korean lady we use to know said, put salt in rice.
Mexican people say, put salt in rice.
India lady we know puts salt in rice.
My mother & grandmother put salt in rice.
I have always put salt in rice but don't remember how much.
Master chef with a 2 year degree says, Never put salt in rice.

What do you think.

applestar
Mod

I don’t put salt in cooking water for white rice. I DO put sea salt in cooking water for brown rice and soak before cooking.

As I understand it, brown rice has indigestible nutrients or enzymes in the remaining bran coating individual grains that become bioavailable when cooked in salt water.

The process of breaking down also makes the brown rice cook up fluffier.

I don’t know the exact amount. I just add a good three-fingered pinch when cooking 3 cups.

Alternatively I sometimes add a 2 square inch (2x1) piece of konbu (dried kelp) for reduced sodium brown rice.

imafan26
Mod

I usually make white rice, short or medium grain rice. I don't put salt in that either. I don't like brown rice and it spoils faster.

Long grain rice, is not rice, it is grass. Unlike the short and medium grain rice long grain rice repels instead of absorbs other flavors. So, for most of the recipes I have that call for long grain rice, it is either cooked with butter or broth or I use the ready made gluttonous rice.

Sticky rice will absorb the flavor or whatever you put on it. Usually salt is added in some form after the rice is cooked.

Long grain rice needs to have the flavor infused as it cooks. It is the only rice I know of that stays white after you put brown gravy on it. Most people prefer their rice grains to be separate, but I grew up with sticky rice, so it seems weird to me when the rice falls apart.

I think people add salt to the rice to enhance its' flavor because it can be quite bland. There are other things we add to rice before cooking, like sake. If you put sake into sushi rice before it is cooked, it helps to preserve the rice a little longer. Salt is added to rice after cooking, but while it is still hot along with other additions like the su for sushi.

Rice is a staple here and there are people who eat rice for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The okazu or entrees are usually salty so the rice helps to cut the saltiness and some of the greasiness. White rice will take on the flavor of whatever is paired with it.

If I am making a musubi, I would wet and salt my hands before making the rice ball from the hot rice. You cannot make a rice ball with cold rice.

webmaster
Site Admin

I never put salt in rice, not even for sushi rice.

There's no reason to add salt to Mexican rice either because there's plenty in the chicken broth and tomato sauce used to make it.

I use seaweed on white rice sometimes.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

With Thai or Chinese food, that I serve rice with, I don't put salt with it, since they are much saltier than most other things. I do salt brown rice, as well as other whole grains. About ½ tsp to a cup of dry rice or grain.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”