LWP
Newly Registered

Freezing green tomatoes.

I have a ton of green tomatoes on my plants. The weather has suddenly turned cooler, dipping into the mid 30's some nights, and I'm going to be moving in the next couple weeks so they're not gonna have a chance to ripen. My plan is to make chow chow but I don't really have the extra time to spend a day canning right now between my job and preparing to move. I'm wondering if they can be frozen and then used for that purpose after I get settled in at my new home? Or will they just be wet mush that won't survive the salting and rinsing process?

LWP
Newly Registered

Actually, I was finally able to dig up some information on that via google and it looks like it wouldn't be a good idea. So I guess my question now would be, has anybody tried freezing the finished chow chow?

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Welcome to the forum!

Maybe try adding a little "crisp" (calcium chloride) to the relish, and refrigerate a day or two, then freeze? Ripe tomatoes freeze well, but turn to mush, when thawed, but maybe try a little of this for several days, then thaw it, and see how it worked. Adding that food grade calcium chloride to pickles keeps them crispy pretty much forever, though I've never used it for freezing - just a thought.

imafan26
Mod

Frozen tomatoes are good if you are going to make a sauce or ketchup later, but they do break down. The good thing is that they are easier to peel after they are frozen.

applestar
Mod

This just popped up in my apple news. I’m going to try the recipe with my green tomatoes :arrow:

The Surprising End-of-Summer Dessert You Need to Try
It tastes just like apple pie.

Read in Kitchn:
https://apple.news/APctJorScRbyFd5TojybVkA

…as always, I found the recipe link for non apple news users here :arrow:

Green Tomato Pie Recipe | Kitchn
https://www.thekitchn.com/green-tomato- ... e-23392073

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”