Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Re: What are you eating from your garden?

Wife has been putting Roma Flat Pod beans in the slow cooker with a, pork roast, chicken, meat loaf, etc, with potatoes, corn, carrots, and beans. Dinner for 6 to 8 is so each about 5 minutes work about once a week and ready to eat about 5 hours later.
Attachments
100_8340.JPG

imafan26
Mod

Neat idea, rice meatballs and eggplant tempura in pasta sauce! What a novel idea. I would not have thought of that.

Today, I made a sheet pan meal with chicken apple sausage, and chicken thighs. I used Yukon gold potatoes, onions, celery, bell peppers. Carrots I got from the field day. Turns out the red Kyoto carrots are orange when I peeled them. Eggplant from the garden and I was going to put tomatoes in it, but the pan was too full. I seasoned it simply with no salt, pepper, garlic cloves, garlic powder, and onion powder. Drizzled with vegetable oil. I just took it out of the oven, It smells good, a little hot, but it tastes good too.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I made a bean salad today, with 6 different varieties of beans (actually 7, including the kidney beans!). I started making it last night, by cutting up the beans, then steaming them, then draining, and icing them, then draining again. Then I cooked some purple barley in the IP - 2/3 c cooked up to about 2 c when I drained it. I cut up a large red bell pepper into strips, sort of like the beans, and mixed all these together, adding a can each of whole corn and dark kidney beans, rinsed and drained. This got refrigerated, to continue on today.

Today, I added some EVOO and red wine vinegar, and chopped up a bunch of basil, a small amount of Thai basil, and a generous amount of chives and garlic chives, and about 3 tb of that kalamata olive paste, and mixed that in. I minced one of those Datil peppers up for it, but then added another one. I added about a half cup of sliced almonds, then added a bunch of halved or quartered cherry tomatoes. I finished with a little salt, and a bunch of freshly ground pepper. I ended up with over 3 quarts of the salad!

ImageBean salad, with some tomatoes, peppers, corn, purple barley, and some almonds. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageBean salad, for lunch, and a lot for later. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

imafan26
Mod

Still mostly cucumber, tomatoes and herbs. I have some kale, but it is bitter this time of the year, so it is only good for smoothies. I did make lemonade with a lemon that fell off the tree, and I pick green onions for fried rice and omelets. Hmmmm... I'm thinking, I have a recipe for Korean onion pancake, haemul pajeon or yachaejeon. I should make it someday.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I made a delicious curry with those sprouted moth gram, and about 1/2 c cooked ones added. An Indian friend of mine gave me those beans (a 4 lb bag), and asked me to cook some for her, because her daughter borrowed her IP! I asked her if she ever sprouted any, and she hasn't, so I told her I'd make something for them with sprouts. And I had a damaged butternut squash I had to harvest, and despite being early, I got a lot from it. And here are those sprouts, that took barely over 24 hrs, including soaking:
ImageAnother 4 hours later, and over 3 c of sprouts, ready to cook, or refrigerate. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The curry I made in the Instant Pot, starting with and onion and bell pepper, sautéed in some olive oil, with a generous amount of minced garlic and ginger minced briefly. Then I cooked about 2 tb of chole masala powder briefly, then added about 2 c of tomatoes, blended medium fine, and cooked about 10 minutes, or until fairly thick. Then I added the squash, and 2 cut up eggplants, the sprouts, the half cup or so of cooked moth gram (what didn't fit in my friend's two containers), and a little more water. I pressure cooked them 8 minutes, then let it release naturally, before uncovering. Then I stirred in a tsp of garam masala, and simmered while making the tarka. Added that, then about 1/4 c of chopped cilantro.
ImageSeasonings for the moth gram sprout curry, plus the tomatoes. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageVeggies for the curry - was going to add something else, but had too much of the butternut! by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageHere are the sprouted moth gram, and some cooked ones, added to the vegetables. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageThe tarka on top, after pressure cooking 8 minutes, then releasing naturally, before stirring in about 1/4 c cilantro. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageFinished curry, with some butternut and eggplant, plus the sprouted moth gram. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

imafan26
Mod

Still eating cucumbers every day. The ones that are older and got pollinated are have a hint of bitterness, but not bad. I put a little truvia in the dressing and that was enough to cover it.

I am getting so many cucumbers I can't eat them fast enough. Cukes get soggy in a few days. I tried wrapping them in saran wrap. That helps. Any tips on keeping them crisper longer?

applestar
Mod

There is a “really?” kind of tip going around on Japanese youtube cooking type videos — I’m thinking amateurs, not pros — can’t think of seeing professional chef promoting this method so caveat emptor

When you cut the top 1/2” or so from the cucumber (stem end) and immediately rub the cut surfaces together in circular motion, amazing amount of fine white froth appears — this is true.

You are supposed to get as much froth as you can get out, then either wipe or wash that off, and tah-dah! — bitterness is GONE!

Now, I’ve been doing this whenever I think of it, and the white froth does build up and turn into foam all around the cut ends.

I usually rinse off rather than wipe off. Trying to rub the cut surfaces together after rinsing doesn’t generate any more froth. I haven’t tried to discern whether the bitterness exists before and whether it’s gone after. It’s just fun to do…. :>.

As for storing them, cucumbers hate getting moisture on the skin. So don’t let them touch plastic directly. They also go limp quickly if you leave them out too long before storing — BIL left one out all night in a hot room and it was laughably limp.

I harvest them first thing in the morning, plunge in 2 gallon buckets (3) of cool water and rinse without removing any of the prickles, allow them to air dry then individually wrap in paper towels and store in gallon size zip freezer bags in warmer part of the refrigerator.

Zip is left open sometimes and not always tightly closed — don’t know if that makes a difference.

Actually my DD2 does the putting away — within 12 hours of being brought inside after rinsing and left out on kitchen counter in a colander — and she is good about putting the newest at the “bottom” — they are put in “standing up” so it’s easy to pull out the oldest.

The cucumber exudes moisture (condensation?) so it’s important to replace the paper towel with a fresh dry one when you notice it’s soaked.

DD2 said they last at least a week or more as long as you change the paper towels when they get wet. They might get somewhat “shrively”/limp in the middle but will stay crisp.

Soaked looking “spots” appear that develop into slimy patches if they are left wrapped in damp/wet paper towels — usually by 10 days to two weeks.

imafan26
Mod

Thanks Applestar. I'll try paper towels instead. In the saran wrap eventually they get slimy. I have always rubbed the end of the cucumber to take out bitterness. It does work most of the time. But, the bitterness comes from the seeds and also if the cucumber has been bored by pickleworms, that also turns cucumbers bitter. The parthenocarpic varieties that have small or no seeds are only bitter if the pickle worm gets in it. It is why I usually get parthenocarpic varieties and why I don't like most regular cucumbers, except Diva, which is parthenocarpic. I don't grow the market varieties Marketmore or Poinsett because they are the most bitter. That and because most people here want Japanese cucumbers not the other kinds. They aren't too keen on the Beit Alpha because of the way it looks. Even though it actually makes a better pickling cucumber. Japanese cucumbers get soggy faster.

Summer Slice is a pollinated variety so it does make seeds. It is not that bad in bitterness, but I have to pick it before it becomes over mature. I usually wait until the cucumber is about a foot, but the fatter cucumber doesn't get that long and I forget that. It also has a lighter mottled skin instead of the solid dark green of the Japanese cucumbers. That is something I am not used to either. The skin is tender, but I peel all my cucumbers anyway.

I haven't planted Suyo for awhile. It has a rough skin and that does not bother me, but my mom doesn't like it because of it.

I like Southern Delight, but the company I got them from no longer carries the seed. Kitazawa was the only other source I found. Kitazawa is the only source for Soarer. I thought I had a good replacement for Soarer, but now I have to find another backup variety that is available from multiple sources that won't cost over $1 a seed after shipping.

I can get seeds from a local supplier for $4.79 for 10 seeds. But at least there is no additional shipping other than what the company has already included in the price to have the seed shipped to them.

applestar
Mod

This was a couple of days ago, but made ratatouille-like dish from ripe tomatoes and recently harvested veg in the fridge that needed to be cooked up.

Started with cut up tomatoes in the bottom of a heavy pot, simmering while I worked out in the garden, then removed the tomato flesh with skin with slotted spoon to blender pitcher. The stewed tomato flesh, skin, and seeds were vitamixed.

To the watery liquid in the pot, I added purple hulled barley to cook. Then added cut up shallots from the store, then the garden veg — zucchini, peppers, eggplants, thinned carrots and tops, basil, broccoli and kale leaves, and a big cuke that was starting to go limp …also added diced carrot and whole fingering potatoes from the store.

I added salt and pepper, cooking wine, evoo…but no additional liquid except a little bit of rice milk to rinse out the blender pitcher. ALL liquid came from the vege’s.

I topped the cooking stew with leftover Indian takeout/basmati rice, poured some of the tomato purée to cover, then left the stew to simmer covered until the potatoes were cooked and the rice had steam reheated.

So yum!

I put the remaining purée in a mason jar and single water bath/steam processed it in a smallish pot. Not quite “up to code” but lid did seal and I’ll keep it in the fridge to be used up within a month.

Yesterday…I made tempura with squash blossoms, broccoli and kale leaves, carrot tops, zukes, eggplants, carrots, firm tomatoes.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

That's a lot of things from the garden, apple! Sounds great!

Not really eating anything of this today, but canning things - beans, that I have enough of in the freezer, so I made 5 pints of pickled beans today - 2 of the dilly beans, and 3 of the cumin coriander beans. They are on my back deck cooling - I really didn't want to be heating my kitchen up with that, though I did make the brine inside, and first heated the water for the lids, on the induction burner. I made extra brine, using that cumin coriander recipe, as the rice wine vinegar sounds good in it. That one had twice as much salt, which sounds like too much to me, so I used the 2 tb in the dilly brine, which sounds like most of my pickles.

Here are the beans. I weighed the beans when I jammed one jar with them, and I had almost exactly 5 times that. I put spices and garlic in the bottoms of the jars, along with a scant ¼ tsp of calcium chloride, for crisp, before packing the jars with 6 oz of beans, then the brine. Now, it's just waiting a couple of weeks.
ImageBeans cut up for 5 pints of pickles, mostly sweet white and Thai red long beans. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Image5 pints of pickled beans, 2 spicy recipes - Dilly beans, and Cumin Coriander beans. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Here are the two recipes I got for these, changed a little, but pretty much the same.

https://www.splendidtable.org/story/201 ... reen-beans

https://www.columbian.com/news/2014/aug ... -to-solve/

imafan26
Mod

Also not eating much from the garden but I am saving seeds from lettuce and beans. It still have carrots, eggplant, and cucumbers in the refrigerator.

I did eat pork and eggplant today (leftovers) with rice.

I had some beans in the refrigerator, but I kept them too long and they got slimy. I may have to cook and freeze them in small batches as I harvest them.

I was looking at recipes for taro and sweet potato leaves which I have a lot of. I have kale as well, but they will be bitter now. I also have wild bitter melon which I keep feeding to the worms. Those leaves are edible as well. I also have a lot of Italian parsley and I may make a classic compound herb butter. maitre d' hotel butter that has multiple applications. Right now I am looking for ideas of how to make use of what I have. I also have mint, and I am basically, dividing them and tossing 3/4 of them out because they grow too fast.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I made a Keralan okra curry last night, to use up a good amount of the okra I had in the fridge. I first set some brown basmati rice to cook, then started cutting up the ingredients. As soon as the okra was cut, I started sautéeing that in a little coconut oil, in a wok, for about 10 min, stirring frequently. Minced some garlic and ginger, and a small onion (recipe called for 1/2 c), and when the okra was done, removed that, and started cooking the onion, for a minute, then the garlic and ginger, plus the seasonings, for just 2 minutes, then added the okra back in, and cooked another 2 minutes. Then the coconut milk was added - the Keralan signature - and simmered another 2 min. That was it! The rice was not even done yet! It sat about 2 minutes, waiting for the rice, and thickened some, due to the okra. It wasn't at all difficult, and since it didn't have a lot of ingredients, it wasn't as complex as a Thai curry - my favorite thing in coconut milk - but it was very good, and not hot. Here's the recipe I based it on - only thing I did different was more garlic. Next time probably more green peppers.
https://www.tarladalal.com/bhindi-mappa ... ipe-32908r

Here are the photos, showing how easily it went together.
ImageSeasonings for the Keralan okra curry, cooking briefly, before adding cooked okra briefly. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageThe cooled okra added back to cook briefly with the seasonings, before adding the coconut milk. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageKeralan okra curry, simmering briefly with the coconut milk. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageSome cooked brown basmati rice, ready for the Keralan okra curry. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageFinished Keralan okra curry, served on the brown basmati rice. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Here's that dish I made last light, and put in the fridge to soak. Only had to boil 2 qts of water for the pasta, and that was it!

It was the dish I make a lot in the summer, with fresh tomatoes, garlic, basil, olive oil, 2 types of olives, pitted and chopped, some olive paste, some chopped anchovies, and a generous amount of freshly ground black pepper, all to be added to the hot pasta, after draining. A friend stopped by, just before I was ready to cook the pasta, and ended up eating more than I did, but then, I have 4 qts of it leftover!

ImageBlack eyed peas, corn, tomatoes, garlic, basil, olive, and anchovy dish, with hot pasta added at the end. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Another batch of that lentil salad, this time with some of those Thai long red beans, and some mung beans, just to empty that jar. A lot of tomatoes in this batch - almost 8 c halved cherries. And 2 red savinas, plus an aji dulce, for that habanero flavor (and a little heat :lol:).
ImageLentil salad again, with some of the Thai long red beans added this time. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

imafan26
Mod

More cucumbers. My plants are near the end of life. I have started more seeds.
I made lime cilantro rice with black beans. I used green onions from the yard to garnish it. I still have more green onions and I will add that to my breakfast omelet.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

These are the only peppers I pickle - some escabeche, with the jalapeños. I also added some datil, and some Thai peppers, slit opened, to heat it up some, as the jalapeños were mild this year. I'll find out eventually, how much of that heat transfers.
ImageA little over a pound of peppers, and 12 oz each of onions and carrots, ready to salt them, before cooking. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageVegetables added to the onions, after cooking those with the blended seasonings. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Image4 pints of escabeche, after a 15 minute water bath. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

imafan26
Mod

Today I ate tomato and cucumber with tuna dip for dinner.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I made a one dish meal (sort of) today in the Instant Pot, after making a tomato sauce last night, using an onion and some garlic, sautéed in olive oil, with some fresh marjoram and basil blended with the tomatoes, and simmered down about 30 minutes, then used that today - about 1½ qts. of thick sauce.

Today I started with a 14 oz pack of kielbasa that I cubed up, then cooked in sauté mode, until fairly well browned, and a generous amount of fat cooked out, and I transferred it to a plate with a PT. I poured out about 2 tb fat, and added about 1 tb olive oil, and started cooking a diced up bell pepper, and some chopped mildly hot peppers I had sitting around, and about 3 c of eggplant cubes. After the EP started browning I added about 2 c of okra, trimmed and cut to about 3/4", and I added the tomato sauce from last night, scraping up the fond from the bottom, returned the kielbasa to the pan, with about 3/4 c black quinoa, and just a little salt, since the sausage has salt. I put the cover on, then set the pressure cooker to 1 minute, and after it beeps, let the pressure release 10 minutes, then let the rest out. Then I stirred in about 2 cups of leftover cooked brown rice, and let it sit about 10 minutes, to absorb the remaining water. Then I stirred in about 1/4 c freshly chopped basil, and that was it.
ImageOne dish meal, with kielbasa, eggplant, bell and hot peppers, okra, quinoa, tomatoes, and rice. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Garden Chili.

Tomatoes, white beans from green beans, Chili powder made with, Anaheim peppers, Carman peppers, Jalapeno peppers, onions, garlic, Thai Basil.

Meat, Mexican oregano, salt, black pepper, soy sauce, bay leaf, cumin,
Attachments
100_8552.JPG
100_8553.JPG

imafan26
Mod

More cucumbers. I picked 5 today. so far I have eaten one.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

The second planting of cucumbers are coming through altho there are still some lemon cukes. The lemons were unusually early this year. Sometimes, we don't see any ready until mid-September.

Gary, that looks just a little like lunch today -- without the beans ;). We had burritos with ground beef and tomato sauce - shallots, sweet basil & cilantro for extra flavor.

The melons have continued with the Lilly Crenshaw and Passport Galia. Outstanding melon year which is surprising in that the Winter squash had some problems. Nevertheless, we have had a few of those already.

Steve

imafan26
Mod

I gave my sister two of the cucumbers I picked yesterday and the eggplant I got from the garden. I still have a couple of more cukes to eat and a few more still need to be picked.

applestar
Mod

Made pasta sauce with harvest the other day — most of the pink and white sweet cherry and salad size tomatoes from my cross breeding project, plus last of the determinate Bloody Butcher, Beaverlodge Slicer, and Campbell’s (3 digit number here). Trim and put in pot over medium heat. The juices come out so cover and simmer. This time they were simmered until the liquid was down to only half covering the fruits, then vitamixed until smooth. Sautéed in butter and olive oil some diced potatoes from the store and vegs from the garden — diced eggplants, peppers, carrots, and chopped mixed greens — carrot, kale, broccoli, daikon, turnip, beets, and garlic chive blossoms. Added diced ham and butter, then the cooked whole wheat penne to absorb flavors… and finally the puréed tomatoes.

So yum! :D

imafan26
Mod

Do you can some of your tomatoes?

applestar
Mod

I do some years, but not this year.

…for two reasons I suppose —
(1) I concentrated on advancing my cross breeding projects to their next generation, so about half of my tomato growing space* was dedicated to small cherry tomatoes and medium cocktail/salad sized tomatoes.

(2) The large fruited tomato patch which also included three varieties of determinate canning (round red intense tomato flavor) tomatoes and beefsteak and oxheart tomatoes all suffered from thus summer’s abnormally high heat … no doubt aggravated by delayed spring planting. With result that most of them DIDN’T or hardly set fruit on three rungs of their fruit trusses, and continued to be stunted in growth until temperatures moderated.

* Thus is also crop rotation year in which tomatoes get the least square footage allocated to them….

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

imafan26 wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:26 am
Do you can some of your tomatoes?
We use to can a lot of tomatoes, 100 quarts and 20 pints every summer but now children have moved away and we are older, 10 quarts are much easier to freeze in zip lock bags. Canning is easy but freezing is easier. If there ever comes a time when there is no electricity food needs to be canned, not frozen. I puree 1 quart of tomatoes then pour it into a zip lock bag then freeze it flat on a cookie sheet. Frozen tomatoes 3/4" thick 10" square thaws out very quick. We freeze the whole tomato with skins & seeds, there is a lot of flavor in skins.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Wife made a BBQ Pulled Pork pizza it turned out to be the best pizza ever. She cooked a pork roast in the slow cooker several hours with, garden tomatoes, onions, garlic, Thai basil and Italian seasoning. After cooking several hours add more BBQ sauce, then pull apart the meat. Pizza crust was in a can like baskets put it on the pizza pan then add toppings. Toppings were, home made garden pizza sauce, onions, garlic, Thai basil, Italian seasoning, pepperonis, cheese. Wow I as very surprised how good this is. I never had a BBQ pulled pork pizza before I was not expecting it to be this good.
Attachments
100_8561.JPG

imafan26
Mod

Today I made mandarin chicken with a side of beans. The beans were the ones I harvested a month ago and froze.

imafan26
Mod

picked 5 cucumbers this morning so I made cucumber and carrot namasu.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Probably the last batch of one of my favorite tomato/pasta salads, using probably the last bit of basil I'll get, until I start the hydroponics. Tomatoes are still coming in some, and this had 3 lbs of diced up tomatoes, 1 lb of them cherries. I cooked 1¼ c black beans, with 2/3 c spelt in the Instant Pot - these cook in about the same time, and when they had drained, I cooked the pasta, and drained it on top of the beans and spelt, to sort of reheat them, then mixed them all together.
ImageMaybe the last batch of hot pasta salad of the season, with the last basil, given the cold weather. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageThe hot pasta, black beans, and spelt, added to the tomatoes, garlic, basil, anchovies, capers, olives, EVOO, and wine vinegar. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageFinished hot pasta salad by pepperhead212, on Flickr

imafan26
Mod

More cucumber. I made lemonade with lemons from the garden and added some lemon or calamansi juice to my ice tea. One of the ears of corn split so I picked it and ate it. I was good. The silk wasn't dried all the way, so I think it could have been sweeter if I could have waited.

applestar
Mod

Still eating fresh fridge-cured perfectly ripe figs and persimmons for breakfast every day — 3 little Chicago Hardy figs today, and 2 medium Prok persimmons.

I eat the figs in cereal with non-dairy yogurt and one of the summer garden berry jams — blackberry today — and Rice milk.

Didn’t use it today, but usually about a 1Tbs splash of this spring’s white cherry sugar extraction syrup in the latte (made with ricemilk).

Persimmons are saved for dessert because it’s so messy to remove the astringent skin and some of the astringent fibrous matter around undeveloped seeds while eating the gooey jam-like part.

So yummy!

Also eating garlic chives in breakfast eggs and in pasta sauces, carrot, daikon, celery, turnip and kale leaves and in pasta sauce made with ripe tomatoes and peppers, garlic, etc.

Turnip, myoga, and immature watermelon sweet vinegar pickles.

“lemonade” made with extracted juice of ‘Flying Dragon’ trifoliate orange and a bit of ginger syrup made with the ginger harvested when I replanted.

Also ginger ale made with the ginger syrup and sparkling mineral water.

applestar
Mod

I’m continuing to experiment with Trifoliate Orange ‘Flying Dragon’ — substituting for lemon juice with some consideration for the extra concentrated flavor and consistency …and less sweet with what I consider to be lime-like tang.

For this 1/2 loaf moist lemony pound cake batter, I only used juice of one large fruit instead of whole lemon (about size of 1/2 of a lemon I think), with only a little bit of the peel grated only from the yellow of the one fruit instead of two lemons.

Then diluted the juice with my white cherry sugar extraction syrup. ( “Cherry” goes with “Dragon” thematically, I think)

Then for the moist lemon-sugar syrup glaze using juice of 1 lemon, I used juice from 1 medium ‘Flying Dragon’ (FD) and added equal part ginger syrup (GS), which because it’s a heavy syrup, I diluted with water … 2:1:1 FD:GS:H2O. Then just because I can’t follow a recipe exactly, after I had poured and brushed on about 1/2 of the syrup to the baked still hot cake, I added some gelatin soaked with water to dissolve in the remaining syrup so it would turn into shiny glaze :D
Attachments
‘Flying Dragon’   pound  cake with a hint of cherry essence and sweet dragon-ginger glaze
‘Flying Dragon’ pound cake with a hint of cherry essence and sweet dragon-ginger glaze

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I made some guacamole again, with everything from the garden, as usual, except for the avocados. I used one of those datil peppers, and it was very good, but would be too hot for most. The Hanoi Market is still my favorite for this.

imafan26
Mod

Corn. This time I have more than 4 ears. So far I picked 40 ears. Not all of them were full and some were really short. I still have to take out the rest of the cornstalks. There may be a few ears I missed. I also am still eating cucumbers and tomatoes from the garden.

applestar
Mod

We were running low of maple syrup, but that’s OK ! — this morning’s breakfast was French toast slathered with choice of recently harvested ‘Flying Dragon’ custard (adapted from a lemon curd recipe) or this summer’s Blackberry preserve. Yummy 😋

imafan26
Mod

green onions for my omelette. I still have a few ears of corn left. I took some of the corn and cut them off the cobs and froze them.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Green beans, baked potato, pork roast, for dinner.
Attachments
101_7926.JPG

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Snow peas and Snap.

There was no problem with them developing a crop with some cool weather but a delayed killing frost :). Some pods are usually available from a planting during the final week of July. However, we are sometimes limited to harvesting only the tender ends of the vines. Still, okay for stir-fries ;).

Lots of brassicas wrapping up their seasons with a surge of growth – mustard greens, bok choy, collards, Scotch and Portuguese kale. They can take some cold!

Green beans continue chugging along. Always a surprise how they cannot survive a frost but production doesn't even seem to be slowed by chilly weather. Oh and chili ;), the Rattlesnake pods are all off the vines and drying on the greenhouse bench. They are NOT the easiest to shell but lend a special flavor to any recipe using dry beans.

Steve
ETA: And now, the kitchen fills with the fragrance of DW's salsa sauce. Everything spends their separate time in the toaster oven – garlic, shallots, cherry tomatoes, hot peppers, cilantro – before being blended together for sauce :).

imafan26
Mod

I ate the last of my corn cobs yesterday, but I still have 2 quart bags of corn in the freezer for later. I am in between crops now. I have mostly herbs now.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”