webmaster
Site Admin

Anyone Use a Wok?

I'm about to buy a 14 inch carbon steel flat bottom wok, probably online from The Wok Shop or maybe from Amazon (model not yet determined). I'm going to first check a local Asian grocery store.

Anyway, anyone have experience with woks? I'm really looking forward to using one!

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

I think bowl-shaped woks make it easier to toss ingredients in a stir fry (especially if you're a bit aged & uncoordinated :)). I've always imagined that's what woks are for, so I'm surprised to hear there are flat-bottomed ones (I'm not oriental). We used to have a big bowl-shaped aluminum one that sat on our electric stove, and had a little ring-shaped pedestal that kept it from direct contact with the element. The thing was big & clumsy and took up a lot of cupboard space.

What we have now is a smaller 'free-standing' electric non-stick wok with adjustable thermostatic control. It takes up much less storage space but occupies some counter top when in use; also demands a convenient elect. outlet. Those could be disadvantages but of course it frees up the stove ring you'd otherwise use. I like it.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I have 5 woks in my kitchen! :lol: Well, actually my 20 inch one is in my dining room. Only the 20 in one is bowl shaped - the rest, as you can see, have flat bottoms. Even with flat bottoms, they don't do much on electric - in the summer, on my induction burner, I use it for steaming, but that's about it.

That might be a good idea, to go to the Asian market, to get the feel of the handle, and also see how the lid fits. I have seen some that have the two handles riveted on in such a way that the lid doesn't fit right - it's hitting a rivet on one or the other. And sometimes they just aren't fitting tightly.

The handles go onto the woks at different angles, some angled up to much, even for someone as tall as me! So you definitely want to look at that, and just what it feels like - sort of like knives.

Here's a photo showing the 4 smaller woks I keep in my kitchen. The 20 in one I use for fried rice, but not huge quantities - just regular sized, inside, as even my 20k burners aren't high enough for doubling up in a wok like that. I have to be using it outside on my Big Kahuna Burner - 65,000 btu/hr, which is still smaller than the burners in a regular Chinese restaurant!
ImagePhoto showing 4 of the woks I have, and that mesh cover over the CI wok, on the lower left. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Why would someone have 5 woks, you ask? Well, they are all different. The 14 in and 20 in carbon steel for high heat cooking, while the 14 in cast iron one I cook a lot of Thai curry, and similar things in. The 12 in one, is a NS wok, and is used mostly for tossing vegetables in, not over highest heat. The copper colored 14 in one is semi-non stick, with a ceramic type NS surface, and is probably the one I use the most. I use it for "frying" Mexican sauces, like moles, or simpler ones - the type that start with a blended sauce, cooked down 6-7 minutes, until much thicker. Much less messy in a wok, than a sauté pan or skillet! That wok I also use for the bamboo steamer - I don't have to worry about steaming the seasoning off the carbon steal. And that mesh lid I got on Amazon, for 14" woks works great for messy things, and I just pop it in the DW.

webmaster
Site Admin

pepperhead212 wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:58 pm

Why would someone have 5 woks, you ask? Well, they are all different. The 14 in and 20 in carbon steel for high heat cooking, while the 14 in cast iron one I cook a lot of Thai curry, and similar things in. The 12 in one, is a NS wok, and is used mostly for tossing vegetables in, not over highest heat. The copper colored 14 in one is semi-non stick, with a ceramic type NS surface, and is probably the one I use the most. I use it for "frying" Mexican sauces, like moles, or simpler ones - the type that start with a blended sauce, cooked down 6-7 minutes, until much thicker. Much less messy in a wok, than a sauté pan or skillet! That wok I also use for the bamboo steamer - I don't have to worry about steaming the seasoning off the carbon steal. And that mesh lid I got on Amazon, for 14" woks works great for messy things, and I just pop it in the DW.
I really like the copper/enamel one, it does seem ideal for sauces! :)

What brand is the carbon steel flat bottom one you have?

I went to the Asian supermarket this afternoon but all they had were round bottom woks. One good thing I got out of the trip is that now I'm convinced that a 14" wok may be the ideal size for me.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I had to look - It has been so long since I bought any of them, the only one I remembered was the copper one, by Ming.

The CI was by Joyce Chen. I got it long ago - $18.95, to give you an idea of how long! And it is HEAVY! Here's a photo of how thick the bottom is, in addition to the sides.
ImageBottom of the CI wok, - a Joyce Chen wok - showing the thickness of the bottom. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I got the idea for that from that really good show Entrée To Asia, in which many of the SE Asian kitchens he was in would be cooking in CI, or terra cotta woks, as they weren't cooking high heat stir fry and the like.

applestar
Mod

I’m enjoying this thread. Love the pegboard pan organization — not a standard pegboard? Did you make that, pepperhead212?
…I’m looking around my kitchen wondering if I could adopt/adapt the idea…. 8)

I think I’m too short/small to manage woks. I think that’s why I gave up. Not tall enough — and my arm is not long enough — to support the pan one handed and make the necessary circular motions for tossing etc. and standing over the stove.

Didn’t seem as easy to use when using tools, even ones meant to be used with woks….

I do have a small/personal sized anodized aluminum wok that turned out to be a bust — cast iron frying pan of varying sizes to sit stable on the stove — tilt to pool oil/liquid to one side as necessary — and good wooden or bamboo spatulas and long cooking chopsticks worked better in general for me.

Good luck with your new wok, @webmaster — always fun to get a new kitchen “toy” :>

webmaster
Site Admin

I ended ordering the Wok Shop carbon steel wok last night.

I'm so excited to learn a new way of cooking. Stir fried in a stainless steel saute pan or an enamel dutch oven pan always left me a little frustrated because I intuited there was a better way.

Now that I know more about woks I'm wondering how I got this far in life without one! 😁

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

webmaster Yes, how did you get this far without a wok???

I used my wok for a couple of years on an electric stove in my parent's house, but switched to my Calphalon sauté pans, which worked better then. Once I got into my house, that wok got seasoned quickly!

apple That pegboard rack for all my pots was my Mom's idea! She helped me set up my kitchen, despite not liking cooking. :lol:

That pegboard was available at all the lumber places, back in the 80s. Back then, there were countless types of vinyl coated paneling available, and there were a few colors of pegboard, as well. It sort of disappeared from the stores in the 90s, but maybe you can still order it?

Here's a photo of the whole pegboard section - it's almost 6' wide, and 82" high. And I moved in here exactly 38 years ago today (my birthday gift to myself! lol), and that pegboard is not showing any wear! I didn't have it totally covered, at first, but it didn't take long. Of the woks, I only had the carbon steel one, at first - that thing is over 40 years old, and is the oldest pan on the wall.
ImageThe whole pegboard holder for my pots and pans. I set it up in late 83, and still not showing any wear. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

imafan26
Mod

Great storage idea. I have too many pots. I have a carbon steel flat bottomed wok. The main thing to remember is that it needs to be seasoned and you can't really scrub it, unless you want to re season it every time. I think the outside of my wok is better seasoned than the inside because I do scrub it off. I have a wok brush, but I don't use the wok every day, so I actually use soap and water and a steel brush which is a no no for wok care. I have to wash and dry and oil the wok right after use. I store the woks (I have 2 of the same kind) in the oven. The flat bottomed wok is more practical if you have an electric range. Woks are designed to heat evenly even up the sides of the wok with the bottom being the hottest point. That can only happen properly if you have a flame, either using the wok on a wok stove ( half 55 gallon drum with a hole cut in the middle) or you have a gas range. You still need the flame spreader or a round bottomed wok cannot sit properly. The other wok I have is a steel wok. Less work to care for it and it does not need seasoning, but it heats differently and it seems the food does not really taste the same. It is like using a stainless steel frying pan. Electric wok, I had one, that is not a wok.

I do have a wok brush, which is what you are supposed to clean a wok with. You aren't really supposed to use detergents. It is more like caring for cast iron skillets. Soap damages the surface.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Here's something that works great with seasoned CI and carbon steel:
https://www.amazon.com/GAINWELL-Stainle ... _at_search

There are several brands of them now, designed the same, with the rounded SS that doesn't scrape the seasoned surface off. I also use it on my enameled CI pans, as it doesn't seem to scrape those, either.

applestar
Mod

Outdoor Wok cooking. They’re using a professional burner, but ran out of propane midway while making fried rice for 20 people, but the leader/chef immediately came up with a solution 8)

Starting around 11:50

https://youtu.be/-nmRtGSg2hQ

webmaster
Site Admin

That's cool and really noisy too! 😃

I think I recognized a couple words, chasu and negi (pork and scallions).

My wok is awesome, I'm loving it.
IMG_20220302_150409274.jpg

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I see your wok is getting gradually seasoned!

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Some how I missed this threat. I accidently found this thread looking for kitchen gadgets. I once had a heavy steel wok when we lived at the other house with a gas kitchen stove. I could never make the wok get hot enough on the electric stove at the new house. A friend from Vietnam showed me how to cook with a wok. I sold it on market place about 5 yrs ago. Your wok looks awesome.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”