pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Thanksgiving side dishes and desserts - what are you making?

I finished my dishes last night - just cleaning up today, and taking them to a friend's house for Thanksgiving. I made a batch of corn/sorghum flour bread, for the gluten free stuffing, and pain de mie, for the regular, and made them with several herbs from the garden, mostly fresh sage. I baked a small ramekin of the butterscotch butternut pie custard, as it didn't quite fit in the crust - plus, I had to sample it to make sure it was OK. ;) I took it out after about 20 minutes. Oh that stuff is good!!! I added some scotch to 1 1/2 c heavy cream, to whip, come dessert time.
ImageButterscotch Butternut Squash Pie, before putting it the oven. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageFinished Butternut Squash Pie, for Thanksgiving. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageGluten-free stuffing, made with corn/sorghum bread. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageRegular stuffing, made with pain de mie. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

I made broccoli and rice casserole. Sorry, I didn't get a picture. You cook the broccoli until tender, then add cooked rice, a can of golden mushroom condensed soup and 3/4ths a jar of cheez-whiz. As for the amount of broccoli and rice you want to put, I think that depends on the number of people your going to serve. I put 2 1/2 cups of rice and 3/4 a family sized bag of Picsweet broccoli. Also the amount of cheez-whiz depends on how cheesy you want it. I put practically the whole jar this time. I left a bit to dip pretzels in later. As for spices, I added chopped onion, black pepper, a dash of garlic powder and a dash of onion powder. Put casserole in oven and bake for about 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

@pepperhead212 "I added some scotch to 1 1/2 c heavy cream, to whip, come dessert time." I hope you used the cookin'scotch and saved the good suff for later.

I'd never heard of pain de mie - for a moment I thought you'd mistyped 'miel'; but honey in stuffing? Surely not. Now I see a recipe online for pain de mie; must be a very rich bread with all that milk, butter & sugar. But I may give it a try. My regular 6-cup loaf (actually two 3-cup) has potato, ww flour and just 1 cup plain flour; only a 'big' tablespoon of butter & sugar, 2 tsp salt - and no milk.

Do you have a recipe to share, for that butternut butterscotch pie?

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Here's where I got that butterscotch pumpkin pie, back in 2008. And no, I don't use expensive scotch in the recipe, or the whipped cream. And everyone loved it.
https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/pumpk ... scotch-pie

When I go up to my PC I'll post my recipe for Pain De Mie. It has milk powder as an option. For 6 1/2 c flour, it has 1/2 c butter, so it is fairly rich, but only 2 tsp honey, so sugar could be used instead. And I have put mashed potatoes in mine before, too.

Here's the recipe, for a 14" pullman pan.

Pain De Mie

1 1/2 tb instant yeast
1 1/2 cup(s) water
2 tsp honey
6 1/2 cup(s) unbleached flour
1 tb salt
1/2 cup(s) butter; softened
1/3 cup(s) instant dry milk; optional

A. Combine 2 c flour, yeast, and salt (and milk powder, if used) in mixer bowl. Add water and mix briefly with paddle, then add softened butter and mix until blended in ttotally. Switch to the dough hook, and add remaining flour and knead 7-8 min. on medium speed. Dough should be firm and not at all sticky. Place in oiled bowl, roll to coat, cover, and let rise 2-2 1/2 hrs.

B. Punch down, then roll out on counter to remove any air bubbles. Fold over into thirds, and roll again, then fold and place in greased 14" x 3 3/4" x 3 3/4" pan, slide cover on, and let rise until about 1/2" from top.

C. Place in preheated 400º oven, then turn tdown to 375º, and bake 50-55 min. Cool briefly, then remove lid, and turn loaf out onto rack to cool.

Variations:

Substitute 1/2 c raw wheat germ for an equal amount of flour.

Substitute up to 2 c whole wheat flour for unbleached flour.

Add 2/3 c potato flakes to the liquid, and omit approx. 1/2 c flour (I start with 3/4 c, and add as needed).

This may be made in food processor, in two batches - into half the flour plus the salt,, cut in the butter (firm), then pour in the water, mixed with the honey and yeast. Knead the two portions together briefly, before setting to rise.

Here are the amounts for a 16" pullman pan:

2 tb instant yeast
1 7/8 cup(s) water
2 1/2 tsp honey
8 cup(s) unbleached flour
1 1/2 tb salt
10 1/2 tb butter; softened
7 tb instant dry milk; optional

This pain de mie makes the best grilled cheese sandwiches!

applestar
Mod

That butterscotch pumpkin pie looks yummy! Did you use canned pumpkin as in the recipe or one of your garden squashes?

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

apple, I made that pie with a roasted butternut, pressed through a sieve. Even starting with that orange flesh, it turned out that dark, due to the caramelized sugar. I've also make it with sweet potatoes before, and it turned out good.

imafan26
Mod

I got invited to two parties. I made lemon meringue pie and four hot sauces (chili pepper water, pique, fenadene, and peppers in vodka. I only took the fenadene to the party. I had a lot of peppers to pick.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”