webmaster
Site Admin

What's the Secret to a Great Thanksgiving Day Turkey?

I've only cooked a turkey once and I wasn't satisfied with it. Anyone have tips for roasting turkeys?

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

There are plenty of people who cook with greater skill than I do. However, if you have only had one experience roasting a turkey, you had better Keep It Simple.

Buy a medium size or small turkey. Clean the bird with plenty of water.

Choose a simple stuffing recipe. About the only time that I have had complaints from the kids was experimenting with the stuffing. Fill the bird, fore and aft, but do not pack it in. Tie the drumsticks together and remember to cut the string during the last 30 minutes in the oven. Use a meat thermometer.

If the turkey hasn't been "pre-basted" rub with cooking oil before putting it in the oven. Tent the bird with aluminum foil but take that off during the final 30 minutes. Baste at that time.

Use a sharp knife for carving and plenty of room to do it. If you want your guests to see the bird before you cut it up, invite them into the kitchen when the thermometer says it's ready and you pull it out of the oven the final time. The dinner table can be the place for passing around the rolls, mashed potatoes, gravy, and green beans but it will likely be best if people serve themselves from the meat platter before they sit down. You may have to bring them servings of pumpkin pie near the end of the meal. You know how lethargic a Thanksgiving meal can make a person.

;) Steve

imafan26
Mod

Slow thaw the turkey in the fridge if it is frozen. Brine the turkey first. It makes it moister. To get rid of the poultry smell. Lemon grass in the cavity along with a half and onion, a stalk of celery and a carrot. You can put some other herbs in there if you want. I put an herbed butter under the turkey skin and spread it around. The brine is salty enough and I use unsalted butter for everything. I just use pepper on the outside of the turkey ( I like lots of pepper). You can use any rub you like.

Bake in preheated 500 degree oven on second lowest rack for 30-45 minutes or until the turkey is browned. Convection ovens will be faster. Cover the wing tips with foil or they will burn. You can fold the wings in to hide it under the turkey instead. Cover the turkey breast with foil to keep it from getting too charred and turn the oven down to 350 the rest of the time. Baste with pan drippings about every 30 minutes. Most turkeys will be done in 2-2 1/2 hours. Breast temperature about 160 degrees. The turkey will continue to cooking a while after it is removed. Ideal temperature is 165 degrees. Pull turkey from oven and take off the foil to rest for about 45 minutes to reabsorb juices before slicing. Covering the turkey while it rests will make the skin soggier.

Brine: 1/2 gallon hot tap water, 1 lb kosher salt,2/3 cups sugar, 8 lbs ice cubes, 16 cups vegetable broth. Put turkey and brine in a food grade bag and put ice around the bag in the cooler. Brining time 8-12 hours in a clean cooler to retain temperature. You can also use a large non reactive pot or a large roasting bag with the brine and turkey. Brine the turkey in the refrigerator as long as the turkey is submerged in the brine. Check temperature every 3 hours to make sure it is kept below 40 degrees if you are brining in a cooler. Drain and replace ice as needed..
After soaking, drain brine and rinse turkey well and proceed as directed.
Turkey should not be stuffed. Cook dressing separately.

Actually, I don't like turkey much, and for myself. I prefer cornish hens instead.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Let someone else roast it! lol

Seriously though, with all the cooking I do, I always do the baking for Thanksgiving.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

A plump, organic free-range chicken!

webmaster
Site Admin

I bought a natural turkey with none of the chemicals or broth injected into it.

Dry brined for 2 days then butterflied and cooked on high heat with a butter herb rub. Came out perfect!

imafan26
Mod

Most of the time, I don't make turkey anymore. Even a small bird is more than I can eat. I used to buy turkey quarter and roast that instead. Those "parts" usually come from larger birds and they are inherently tougher so I roast them in a bag which keeps them nice and juicy, but there is no crispy skin that way.

I used to get cornish hens for Thanksgiving instead or make a roast chicken, or buy a Costco chicken, which is more right sized for me.

Luckily, I got invited to two places for Thanksgiving. I made Lemon Meringue pie. I don't like pumpkin pies much and they are cheaper to buy. I make a very good crust and the best lemon meringue pie is made with Meyer lemons. Someone else made the turkeys and I have enough left overs from both places to last a few days.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”