Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Cheese

I bought Gouda cheese a week ago it is very good but not as good as the Gouda cheese at the wine club meeting. I emailed a question, what brand Gouda & what store did you buy it? Answer, I threw wrapper away already, I think I bought it at Sam's Club.

First bite did not seem that great but the after taste is amazingly good it makes you want more. I bought the only package of Gouda cheese at Kroger in the white color square package last week it is very good. Today I bought 3 more Gouda cheese soon I will learn which 1 is best. They are all a soft white cheese with a long lasting flavor. Price is $3.99 for most of these.

I'm not sure if Gouda cheese makes Red Wine taste better or if Red Wine makes Gouda Cheese taste better. Either way this cheese it GOOD I like to cut off a slice then spend 20 minutes nibbling on it.
Attachments
100_1164.JPG
100_1165.JPG
100_1166.JPG
100_1167.JPG
100_1169.JPG

applestar
Mod

I’ve had the apple smoked one (same brand recognize the package) and liked it a lot. Some smoked gouda can be overpoweringly “smokey”.

I don’t eat too many young cheeses any more since I’ve developed an allergy to milk and react to the leftover milk proteins in younger, less aged cheeses. Aged cheeses that are fully cultured and converted are less likely to make me fall asleep.

I do like AGED gouda (3 yrs+) …btw my DD joins me in liking aged GRUYÈRE cheese.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

What is the difference between regular cheddar and cheddar jack? My favorite cheese will always be cheddar. American just doesn't cut it for it. Also, I love the jalapeno Velveeta slices they are fantastic!

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

TomatoNut95 wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:44 pm
What is the difference between regular cheddar and cheddar jack? My favorite cheese will always be cheddar. American just doesn't cut it for it. Also, I love the jalapeno Velveeta slices they are fantastic!
Cheddar & Colby are both yellow cheese, Jack is white cheese. Colby Jack is a mix of Colby & Jack. Pepper Jack is white cheese with jalapenos.

I like to make cheese dip with Velveeta cheese plus Pepper Jack cheese and 2 cans of Ro-Tel.
Attachments
100_1170.JPG
100_1171.JPG

imafan26
Mod

I like the smoked gouda in salads. Just a little or it can be overpowering. I like monterrey jack cheese because I like a milder cheese. Velveeta isn't real cheese, but it does melt well. It makes a great bean dip and I actually prefer it for grilled cheese, but I am not a cheese expert. I just like what I like.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

I put Cheese Whiz in broccoli and rice casserole. Not sure what cheese whiz is composed of. I use shredded cheddar cheese with canned pimento to make pimento cheese sandwich spread.

I'm curious about Limburger cheese. It is said to smell so bad but taste so good?? Apparently you can't find Limburger cheese in the store.

And what about blue cheese?

My grandmother used to tell me that goat cheese is nasty.

There was some kind of cheese I tried on lasagna years ago I thought it was cottage cheese. Yucky. I also am not fond of parmesan cheese or Swiss cheese. My mother will eat Swiss and parmesan because of the lower sodium content.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

TomatoNut95 wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:56 am
And what about blue cheese?
I have a very good easy to make blue cheese salad dressing recipe. Put a cup of mayo in a bowl, pour in enough butter milk to make mayo thinner to the salad dressing consistency that you like to pour on your salad. Add a table spoon of blue cheese, whip at high speed with electric mixer until cheese dissolves into the liquid. Add some fresh ground black pepper. Taste it, if it needs more blue cheese add more.

applestar
Mod

Cheese used with Italian is usually Ricotta cheese. I guess Ricotta is to Cottage cheese like Sour Cream to Yogurt.

Goat cheese — it’s apparently the billy goat that makes goat milk/cheese stinky/nasty. I read somewhere that there is a HUGE difference when the billy goat is kept off premises where the nanny goats are milked and cheese is made. I liked most of the goat cheeses I’ve tried. There was one that was so creamy and sweet/nutty (but drier as is typical, and definitely different from cream cheese) that I ended up spooning the entire thing out of the shrink plastic wrapper and ate it all….

I like blue cheese and roquefort cheese — slightly different blue mold. My impression is roquefort is less … hmm can’t think of a right word … brassy? But I have read that you can NOT get the REAL stuff here in the US. I wonder what they really taste like?

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Where do you buy blue cheese I never see it at the places I shop. Mainly Wal-Mart.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

TomatoNut95 wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:16 pm
Where do you buy blue cheese I never see it at the places I shop. Mainly Wal-Mart.
Walmart. Kroger & other grocery stores have a small specialty section, you will find blue cheese there.
Last edited by Gary350 on Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Where do you find Limburger? 😂

imafan26
Mod

I remember that the real Philly steak is made with cheese whiz.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I made Farmers cheese & Ricotta cheese in about 90 minutes from 1 quart of whole milk.

1. Heated milk on stove on high stir none stop with spoon so milk does not burn, when temperature is 190° about 6 minutes remove pan from heat stir in 1 tablespoon of white vinegar & 1/4 teaspoon salt.

2. Let hot milk cool 30 minutes then spoon solids to the cloth in the wire basket, catch used milk in a pan.

3. Re heat used milk to 190° it takes 5 minutes, stir in 1 tablespoon white vinegar & 1/4 teaspoon of salt.

4. Let hot milk cool 30 minutes then spoon solids to the cloth in the wire basket.

Place cheese in refrigerator about 4 hour to get cold & more solid.

The first cheese is Farmers cheese it is more solid and can be cut with a knife. 1 quart of milk makes a cheese ball about 2" diameter.

The second cheese is Ricotta cheese it is softer creamy cheese another 2" cheese ball.

Cheese turned out good we can hardly wait to eat for breakfast on toast. We want to make a pizza too. I might make a herb cheese ball for crackers.

I put the soft cheese on top of the harder cheese ball the soft cheese cover over the harder cheese ball. Softer cheese should have been in its own bowl but it will scrap away from the harder cheese.

Watch both videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAm7XmYognY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjRfDquHg94
Attachments
100_1894.JPG

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”