Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Asian Cooking Recipes

Very high wind & rain makes it feel very cold I want some HOT Soup for lunch, Hot & Sour soup will be very good.

I love this soup I could eat it every day but wife can not eat much salt, soy sauce has too much salt for her. I follow the recipe but I like to add extra things like, 1/3 cup uncooked rice & 1 chicken chicken breast sliced & diced. Today I have no green onions so I used 1 slice of onion diced plus Boc Choy from the garden diced. I have no mushrooms either so I make do with what I have. I like Louisiana Hot sauce better than Tabasco. Wife ate 1 bowl & I ate the other 2 bowls.
Attachments
100_9053.JPG
100_9055.JPG
100_9054.JPG

imafan26
Mod

Oh wow! That is a really old cookbook. They are usually the best kind. You made your soup from scratch I just use a mix. Your hot and sour soup looks like a dark egg drop soup.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

If you have an Asian market nearby, get some Chinkiang Vinegar (or Chenkiang, or Zhenjiang) - a black rice vinegar that is the best vinegar to use in hot and sour soup (and many other Chinese dishes). This is one of those things rarely used in a Chinese restaurant, except really good ones. Try it sometime - you won't be able to eat the soup without it.

Here it is on Amazon, though I would never buy it at these ridiculous prices - it's only a dollar something at the Asian market! I've tried other brands of black rice vinegar, but they aren't as good.
https://www.amazon.com/hhh-Chinkiang-Vi ... B0000D198T

imafan26
Mod

I have a few Asian grocers nearby and I have seen all kinds of vinegar. I need to look up more uses for the black vinegar. The recipes I have usually call for palm vinegar or Japanese (rice) vinegar so those are the only other kinds of Asian vinegar I know about. I have seen black vinegar, but I just did not know what to do with it. Thanks for the tip. I'll have to check it out. It comes in a big bottle. You are right that is a ridiculous price online.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Teriyaki Chicken Stir fry with Tofu noodles

My Son came over and we cooked stir fly the way he does. 3 chicken breast cut into small pieces, 1 large onions sliced, 4 garlic cloves, 1 bag of stir fly vegetables, 1 bag of Tofu noodles. Cook chicken, onions, garlic until done about 7 minutes. Stir in the whole bag of cooked stir fry vegetables cook until done about 6 minutes. Stir in the Teriyaki sauce. Stir fly the Tofu noodles about 4 minutes add them to chicken vegetable mix. This is very good, much better than what we make. The correct type stir fry vegetables makes a big difference.
Attachments
100_0140.JPG
100_0142.JPG
100_0137.JPG
Last edited by Gary350 on Thu May 13, 2021 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

imafan26
Mod

I have seen those noodles at Costco. I get the regular shiratake noodles from the store. They come in smaller packages that are a better size for me and actually cost less per ounce than this trendy gluten free keto friendly noodle substitute.

Your cooking is very international.

I make stir fries often too. Tonight I am making beef tomato because I have a couple of really ripe tomatoes I have to use up.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Tonight, the dish I made was an old Thai favorite - Mahogany Fire Noodles. I always make this when I get enough spearmint and basil to top it with - 3/4 c each. I have to make it with frozen Thai peppers at this time, until the thai peppers start producing.
Image12 cloves of garlic and 20 Thai chilis, to make the paste for the mahogany fire noodles. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Image1 1/2 cups of basil and spearmint, to toss with the finished noodles. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageFinished mahogany fire noodles. by pepperhead212, on Click

webmaster
Site Admin

pepperhead, did you make those with the shiratake noodles? Looks delicious!

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

webmaster, No, those are just basic rice noodles, the kind you make pad Thai with, though you could make it with any neutral flavored noodle, I'm sure. The original recipe called for fresh rice noodles, but I rarely have those, unless I have just been to an Asian market! I have also used regular pasta - just 12 oz, cooked about 6 minutes, and finished in the wok.

Here's the recipe (I may have posted it before, but I didn't check!). My favorite crunchy veggie to put in it is the kohlrabi, but the original recipe had the bamboo shoots. I've also made it with pork, or shrimp, as well as all vegetables - as usual, it's very flexible.

Mahogany Fire Noodles

8 oz wide dry rice noodles - Pad Thai noodles; soaked in warm water 20 min, until flexible, but not totally soft
30 thai birds; OR
15-20 thai dragons (My fav)
10-12 cloves garlic
1 1/4 lbs boneless chicken; sliced 1/4 x 1/2 x 2 in.
8 oz bamboo shoots; sliced
1 tb oil
3/4 cup water or chicken broth
1 tsp white pepper; ground
2 tb fish sauce
1 tb oyster sauce
2 tb Thai sweet black soy sauce
1 1/2 tb sugar
1 1/2 cup(s) holy basil (fresh); loosely packed, OR
3/4 cup Italian basil; AND
3/4 cup(s) mint leaves
2 tb oil

A. Make a paste in the mortar with the Chiles and garlic (or make the paste in a food processor, the way I usually do it). Add 1 tb fish sauce to the chicken, and stir to coat; let marinate 15 min or so, while preparing other things. Measure out the pepper, the other tb of fish sauce, oyster sauce, soy sauce, and sugar into a bowl together. Drain noodles and have all ingredients ready by the wok.

B. If using canned bamboo shoots, drain them, pat dry, and stir-fry them in 1 tb oil over med-high heat for 1 min. Pour onto a paper towel, cool, and blot dry.

C. Heat a large wok (I use my 20") over high heat; add oil, swirl, and heat briefly. Add chili paste and dtir-fry 15 sec. Add chicken and bamboo shoots and SF 30 sec. Add noodles and broth or water, and toss 1 min. Add the pepper, sauces and sugar and SF 1-1 1/2 min., or until noodles are soft and no longer hard inside. Remove from heat, toss with the herbs, and serve.

Variations: 1 lb fresh rice noodles may be used, rinsed, omitting the water or broth, and adding when only 1-1 1/2 min of cooking is left. 12 oz of dry pasta may be used, undercooked slightly, and added as with the rice noodles.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

We bought 6 different bottles of stir fry sauce & several different bags of stir fry vegetables a few months ago. Today wife made chicken stir fry with stir fry sauce bottle #5 this is the very best so far. And this bag of mixed vegetables is the best too. I ate 3 plates if this. I am going to eat this for breakfast tomorrow morning.
Attachments
100_1296.JPG
100_1297.JPG
100_1298.JPG

webmaster
Site Admin

That first one looks like it'll be good with tofu!

Keith E Cantrell
Newly Registered

Looks so yummy...

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

EGG ROLLS is anyone making good egg rolls?

Vietnam lady showed me how to make egg rolls 10 years ago all I remember is, cover 1 side of egg roll wrap with scrambled egg, add filling, roll up, deep fry until golden brown. I only found 1 ok video on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3zVcyfIheo

imafan26
Mod

I have never made any. Thanks for the link. I have made Spring rolls, Chinese, Filipino, and Vietnamese kind, and Korean man doo but I never tried egg rolls. We usually never order them when we go out either.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

imafan26 wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:27 am
I have never made any. Thanks for the link. I have made Spring rolls, Chinese, Filipino, and Vietnamese kind, and Korean man doo but I never tried egg rolls. We usually never order them when we go out either.
Which oil is best to fry spring rolls? Most videos said nothing about oil but 3 videos said, peanut oil, vegetable oil, and Mexican egg roll said, deep fry in lard. Wife want to cook egg rolls in our air fryer.

I watched some spring roll videos too they claim spring rolls are identical to egg rolls only small diameter and with no meat.

This is something fun to do in freezing wet weather. I will look for egg roll wraps next time we are at the store. Both of our oriental markets closed 10 years ago.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

We made the best oriental dinner at home ever, and it was quick an easy about 15 minutes work. Wife bought a package of frozen chicken tenders, frozen egg rolls, bottle of General Tso Sause, and broccoli. Cook chicken, egg rolls, broccoli in air fryer. Cut chicken in smaller pieces stir in the warm sauce. Serve and eat. We have never made anything this good home made, this is as good as restaurant oriental food.
Attachments
100_3925.JPG

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Lunch today is hot & spicy chicken & rice soup without the spicy.

We used 1 chicken Breast, chicken broth, 1/4 cup uncooked Jasmin rice, 1/2 red onion, 1 garlic clove, package of frozen peas & carrots, 2 celery stalks, it turned out good.
Attachments
100_4151.JPG
100_4152.JPG

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Something that would make that soup better would be Chenkiang, or black vinegar. This is why I would never order hot and sour soup - only really good restaurants would use that, and it makes all the difference. I keep a bottle of it on the door of the fridge - don't use it as much as I used to, and it does go bad, eventually.

imafan26
Mod

In northern China they would put hot chili oil in everything. For Chinese cooking, they use high heat, so the oil of choice is peanut oil because of the smoke point.

I have seen the black vinegar in the store, after the last time you mentioned it. I have not used it yet. I can't eat a lot of Asian food because they use a lot of msg and salt.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

pepperhead212 wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:47 pm
Something that would make that soup better would be Chenkiang, or black vinegar. This is why I would never order hot and sour soup - only really good restaurants would use that, and it makes all the difference. I keep a bottle of it on the door of the fridge - don't use it as much as I used to, and it does go bad, eventually.
I did google search for Chinkiang to learn what that is. I can't buy that here. All the oriental grocery stores that I knew about have closed and grocery stores don't have much to choose from. I have never seen black vinegar either. Amazon has Chinkiang $10 per bottle. Nashville might have an oriental grocery store but we never go there anymore interstate highway is 6 lanes wide bumper to bumper traffic it will take us 6 hours round trip and $20 worth of gasoline. I will ask around maybe there is an oriental market some where that I don't know about.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

That's too bad that your stores closed, Gary. And $10 is more than 4 times what the store price would be!

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

We have been making General Tso's Chicken & fried rice over & over for a month. I ate too much.
Attachments
100_8140.JPG

imafan26
Mod

It looks good. I actually have never had it.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”