pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Making dosa - sort of a sourdough Indian crêpe

Earlier, in the Instant Pot thread, I talked about making the dosa batter, using the Instant Pot to help the fermentation process. Here's the photo of the fermented batter:
ImageDosa fermenting by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Here is the actual cooking of the dosa

I used a 10" NS skillet, as the only CI pan that I have that is well seasoned is a square pan that would be too small to maneuver in. It took some tweaking with thinning the batter (only took a couple TB of water), and the flame level, before getting it right, and this was my first try! And I realized quickly that there was a better way to spread the batter in the pan, than the usually suggested back of the ladle, which would leave an uneven trail in the batter. I would pour the batter in using the ladle in my left hand, and quickly spread out the batter using a flat-backed spoon, which made a more even surface. I tried swirling it, like I do with crêpes, but crêpe batter is much thinner, so that made a dosa too thick. Cooking with the flame too high made it firm up too fast, as I spread it, too low, just took too long! Here's what I settled at:
ImageFlame level settled on for dosa. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Here's that ladle and spoon I used:
ImageLadle and flat bottomed spoon used for the dosa. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageUsing the spoon to quickly spread the batter in the pan. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

In the beginning, when I flipped the dosa there were places where bubbles had formed, so they were unevenly browned. So shortly after the batter would puff up, I would bang the pan on the burner, to even it out, and bang those bubbles out. Here are the bottoms (actually, the original tops), showing how they got smoother, and browned better.
ImageBottom of the second dosa, showing the areas where the bubbles had formed. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageBottom of the third or fourth one, showing a more even browning, after banging the bubbles out. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The top (the original bottom) browned well on all of them.
ImageEvenly browned top on one of the dosa. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageFinished batch of dosa. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I would like to try this. Would love to have your recipe.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Honeyberry, Here is the thread where I posted the original making of the batter for the dosa - about 4 or 5 posts down. I used less rice than usually called for, and had to add quite a bit more water than called for, as it was too thick. The batter can also be fermented in a warm spot, if you don't have an Instant Pot.
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=76617

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Thank you
And I do have an Instant Pot

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”