imafan26
Mod

How to keep cucumbers longer

I have done it again. I have a small garden by many standards, but I still manage to not manage the garden well and end up with more of one thing than I can eat. I always have too many peppers, but it is not that hard to find homes for them. Now, its the cucumbers. It seems it is feast or famine. I have 4 vines in a pot. I have given some away and I have eaten some, but there are seven left and more coming. They are Summer Dance hybrid of Japanese cucumber. It is seedless and crisp eaten fresh within 4 days, it can be made into a quick pickle (namasu), but it gets soggy pretty fast. I found if I wrap it in plastic and keep it in the frig it will last longer than putting it in the frig unwrapped. It still will lose its nice crunch in about 4 days. I usually plant 3-4 vines in a pot just in case some of them don't make it. All of them made it this time. What else can I do with them and especially what can I do to extend the time when they will still be good to eat.

applestar
Mod

when you “wrap in plastic” and put in fridge — are you using plastic wrap?

I found cucumbers lasted longest when well washed — this involves dunking in 2 gal bucket filling up with cold water, and lifting out the cucumbers into the next bucket, then next again — 3 effective changes of water and soaking. Then removing to colander or basket to mostly drip dry (indoors or in shade) Then wrapping more or less individually with paper towel sheets and putting in large ziplock freezer bag — I want to say air squeezed out and zipped and placed in warmer part of the fridge — top shelf or door.

The one in use is typically not zipped back up though since everybody is pretty lazy around here and can’t be bothered. :>

The paper towels will get soggy so replace with dry ones as days go by — but they lasted good full week to 10 days.

I also sliced or diced, salted and froze some — these were later turned into Japanese “Kyu-chan” style condiment — soy sauce, sugar (already salted), a little takanotsume pepper ... etc. I don’t remember the full recipe — maybe mirin and dashi was involved, too? You can also make it first then freeze.

I realize you are watching your salt intake — I can imagine adding konbu or green perilla or something else to create alternative flavor enhancement?

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

I think somebody told me they froze their cucumbers. As for me, if I get too many cukes I just give them away.

imafan26
Mod

I do give them away. I just hardly see anybody these days. I am going to make namasu with wakame. It is on the salty side for me, but it should last a little longer.

I read that cukes should be stored on the counter instead of the frig. They would keep longer. Unfortunately, that has not worked that well since my kitchen can get into the mid 80's in the middle of the day with all the windows and doors closed. It does work for tomatoes though, but it ripens them faster as well, causing a different problem.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”