• 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 3 1⁄2 cups flour
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 2⁄3 cup water
  • 2 cups butternut squash, cooked and mashed

Directions
  • Combine dry ingredients in one bowl.
  • Combine wet ingredients in another bowl.
  • Add dry ingredients to wet and mix just until combined.
  • Put in two ungreased loaf pans.
  • Bake at 350 for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Beautiful!

(I made pumpkin cornbread recently, quicker :D !) A couple of questions, SWIB: Is the butternut from your garden and, if so, what storage conditions make winter squash available in April?

Years ago, and since I'd already been making pumpkin pie for quite some time, I decided to make a quiche. This was back when that book came out titled "Real Men don't Eat Quiche." I resented that because I realized that both quiche and pumpkin pie are similar, I had even made custard pie. So, I found a quiche recipe or two - terrible! I made another, thinking that it might be an acquired taste. No, no good!

Years later, I came across recipes for quiche without the nutmeg. Ya know, I'm not a very sophisticated cook (or diner) but, that was the problem with the first two. Good Grief, I had no idea that I'd find a spice so offensive to my taste. I wonder how common this is. Don't know if I'm a "real man" but I still make quiche ... and cornbread.

Steve

applestar
Mod

Oooh looks yummy! I’m hoping to grow lots of butternut squash this season (SVB resistant).

@digitS — I used to read a lot though recently I have developed limited attention span that makes it difficult and takes long time to read novels (interesting to see my DD1 has inherited my tendencies and binge-reads new books in hours to days burning late-night candles :wink: )

Anyway, one of my favorite genre is science fiction and your nutmeg intolerance comment reminded me of one of my favorites over the years. Maybe I’ll dig it out and read it again.
The Galactic Gourmet - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Galactic_Gourmet

(spoilers)

In the meantime, an epidemic at the hospital turns out to be a major nutmeg overdose caused by a sous-chef foolishly using ten times the required amount in a recipe.
...apparently, nutmeg in overdose can become a hallucinogen and also cause digestive problems.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Yes they are from my garden and they were grown on a vertical trellis.
You can see the trellis up against the wooden fence to the left on the hill.

They were growing intertwined with the grapes and about 12' into the neighbors yard.

This is the neighbors yard.

Squash were pulled Late September when the tendrils and stems were turning brown.

The seedling tray closest to the front had a bunch of seeds that had germinated inside the squash, so I planted a few.

They were stored in the garage but I think the seeds started to germinate when I started my seedlings mid February and turned the heat on in the garage. Although the seeds germinated inside the squash, it had no ill effect in the squash.

We were so happy with them that I plan on "hopefully" canning some next season.

I'm guessing 50°F would keep the seeds from germinating a little longer, If I can get some of these canned next season, that won't even matter.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:...apparently, nutmeg in overdose can become a hallucinogen and also cause digestive problems.
Good Grief! Well, I was just a kid and have no idea what recipe I was using. I have used nutmeg in my Half Moon Bay pumpkin bread recipe but am wary. I've made that with Jack o'lantern pumpkin puree. It gets quite a bit of cinnamon from me to add flavor. Nutmeg, not so much.
SQWIB wrote:...We were so happy with them that I plan on "hopefully" canning some next season..
I can see why you are happy with them! I have come to think that the Cucurbita maxima squash that I grow and like are really limited by the climate here for proper maturity for storage. I'm trying a pie pumpkin this year but don't want to give up on the C. maxima. They get me past Thanksgiving and Christmas :) .

Steve

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”