SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Lacto-Fermented Sauerkraut

SauerKraut
I used Store bought cabbage

March 7th, 2020

Well, it has been a long time since I made some Fermented Sauerkraut.

3 tablespoons of salt per 5 pounds of shredded cabbage
I tried using a food processor with no luck, I ended up using my Boerner V-Slicer.

Working in 5 pound increments I would add 1/3rd of each bowl, sprinkle a little salt and continue until all 5 pounds were added then I would start shredding my next 5 pounds. This way, the salt had some time to draw out the moisture and also it was an easy way to gauge the salt-to-cabbage ratio.

In between each 5 pounds being added, I would knead the cabbage a bit.

March 10th, 2020

March 21st, 2020

No funky growth at all, I'm a happy camper

I refrigerated a 25 oz jar raw for hot dog toppings. A quick taste test and I was extremely satisfied.

The rest was canned for storage. I had to make a salt brine to top the jars before canning. 1 quart of water to 2 tablespoons salt.

I got a little more than 8.5 quarts out of the shredded 18 pounds of cabbage (5 heads)

Procedure
  • Work with about 5 pounds of cabbage at a time. Discard outer leaves. Rinse heads under cold running water and drain. Cut heads in quarters and remove cores. Shred or slice to a thickness of a quarter.
  • Put cabbage in a suitable fermentation container and add 3 tablespoons of salt. Mix thoroughly, using clean hands.
  • Pack firmly until salt draws juices from cabbage.
  • Repeat shredding, salting, and packing until all cabbage is in the container. Be sure it is deep enough so that its rim is at least 4 or 5 inches above the cabbage. If juice does not cover cabbage, add boiled and cooled brine (1½ tablespoons of salt per quart of water).
  • Add plate and weights, cover container with a clean bath towel.
  • Store at 65° to 75° F while fermenting. At temperatures between 70° and 75° F, kraut will be fully fermented in about is little as 1 week but can go on to 3 to 4 weeks; at 60° to 65° F, fermentation may take 5 to 6 weeks. At temperatures lower than 60° F, kraut may not ferment. Above 75° F, kraut may become soft. If you weigh the cabbage down with a brine-filled bag, do not disturb the crock until normal fermentation is completed (when bubbling ceases). If you use jars as weights, you will have to check the kraut 2 to 3 times each week and remove scum if it forms.
Fully fermented kraut may be kept tightly covered in the refrigerator for several months or it may be canned as follows:
  • Hot pack: Bring kraut and liquid slowly to a boil in a large kettle, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and fill jars rather firmly with kraut and juices, leaving a ½-inch headspace.
  • Raw pack: Fill jars firmly with kraut and cover with juices, leaving a ½-inch headspace.
I sanitized my jars due to water bath canning requirements and raw pack canned this batch.

Boiling water process times
Hot Pack
  • Pint: 10 minutes
  • Quarts: 15 minutes
Raw Pack
  • Pints: 20 minutes
  • Quarts: 25 minutes

imafan26
Mod

Cabbage is cheap where you are! The best price here is $0.99/lb. Twenty six pounds would cost $26.95 after taxes. Most places the cabbages are almost $2 a lb. It is called Paradise tax. The State taxes everything, including food and medicine. We also have to pay shipping for the ships to come in loaded and return to the mainland nearly empty. Only some cabbages are grown locally and it cannot be grown everywhere or all year. Land, labor, and costs for fertilizer, chemicals and cost of doing business is higher than the cost of shipping produce in.

applestar
Mod

thanks for posting this and sharing those critical tips. :D. — some I knew, some had been parts of different recipes I had, so your summarized instructions are going to be very useful. :wink:

I made a tiny batch, too, a few days ago, but not in the big quantities you did — just one head. I’ll take a peek and see if it needs skimming today....

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”