Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Catsup Homemade

I have been collecting catsup recipes for a long time here are 7 recipes. First recipe from 1890 book is from my grandmothers cook book. Next recipe 1945 Book came from my mothers cook book. I'm not sure where the next 3 recipes came from. Recipe 6 is from the Heinz catsup bottle. Recipe 7 is from YouTube. After studying the recipes for months and thinking about what I know from cooking experience and flavors I decided to make the 1975 Authentic catsup recipe. Since I am using 1 quart of garden whole tomatoes from a 4 year old quart of tomatoes in the pantry I cut the recipe down I am only using 1/4 of the spices. After measuring out the spices I can see there is too much sugar & vinegar so I cut that down to 1 tablespoon each. Wife said, lets use Balsamic vinegar not white vinegar.

The FIRST picture of tomatoes is what tomatoes should look like before cooking them to making catsup. Slice tomatoes into several pieces then push out the jell, juice & seeds. Save only pulp with skins.

Recipe
1 quart of tomato pulp with skins
1 T balsamic vinegar
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
1/4 tsp black pepper
3/4 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 clove
1 tablespoon of paprika
Grind spices to powder in spice grinder.

My jar of pantry tomatoes is whole tomatoes so I poured it into a bowl then used a spoon with holes to scoop out the tomatoes pieces leaving behind juice and most of the seeds. Now I have 1 PINT of pulp with skins.

Bring 1 PINT of tomatoes to a boil in a Large diameter skillet. Pour into blender to puree soft cooked skins into the pulp. Then boil sauce until it becomes thick remove from heat then stir in the spice mix. Wait 30 minutes for spice flavor to go into the sauce. This leaves me with 1 1/8 cup of thick sauce.

I tasted the catsup and said, wow that is good. Wife tasted it and said, that is good, lets put that on a pizza that will make excellent pizza sauce with all those good flavors.

Catsup is in the refrigerator waiting to become a pizza soon. LOL

24 hours later in refrigerator catsup sauce tastes exactly like catsup. Not putting this on pizza.
Attachments
100_4338.JPG
100_6245.JPG
100_6248.JPG

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Here is a recipe from an old book that I have:

Ketchup Recipe
8 pounds or 48 very ripe tomatoes
2 ripe sweet red peppers
2 sweet green peppers
4 onions
3 cups vinegar
3 cups sugar
3 Tbsp salt
1-1/2 tsp allspice
3 tsp dry mustard
1-1/2 tsp cloves
1-1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp hot red pepper
Clean and cut into small pieces and blend part at a time until all is in the canning pot.
Add vinegar, sugar & salt.
Place spices in spice sachet, tie and add to the tomato mixture.
Cook uncovered in 325 degree oven until volume is reduced by half. Remove spice sachet. Pack about 5 hot sterilized pint jars, sealing each one mmediately as you fill.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”