applestar
Mod

Art in the Kitchen

I don’t know if I would dare to break it open and take it apart to eat it — it’s so beautiful.

- meant to be eaten with chopsticks - he said the turnip needs to be cooked soft enough for chopsticks but too soft would be boring
- at the end for plating, he emphasized several times that the mound of wasabi should/must not be positioned at the perfect center/top, but just slightly to the right and closer, since you would be reaching from the right with chopsticks.

道場六三郎|美しい蕪のお椀「錦かぶら」[道場旬皿]

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

So, apple, are you growing some of those shogoin turnips, so you can make this yourself? :mrgreen:

applestar
Mod

Shogoin turnips — I was going to grow them, but I can’t remember what happened with mine — did I ever find the seeds? did they sprout? Where are they? :oops:

...but Didn’t you say YOU are?

Apparently they tolerate transplanting, so you can start these large Japanese turnip seeds indoors and then plant them out, like you can with beets.

...I do have 3 kinds of daikon, Scarlet Revival and Eastham turnips planted in the SFH tunnel. Not sure if they are surviving this weather though, especially since I was unable to complete building the hoophouse over them.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I posted a while back about mirror glazed cakes:

look them up, some are amazing works of art.

Then there is stuff like this:

"hot dogs :D

fruit carving:

imafan26
Mod

Looks too good to eat. I grew shogoin radish before. Mine never got that big. But, I have too much nitrogen in my soil so most of my root crops are on the smallish side unless I grow them in my alkaline plot.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”